Developmental English Instructor

Discussion in 'College' started by mommyre, Aug 19, 2012.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

I just wanted to stop in and say hi! Beginning tomorrow I will be teaching two sections of Developmental English at the Community College level. I am very excited about this position. I am also returning to school myself with the ultimate goal of a Master's degree in English. I have an MAEd in Special Ed, but if I want a full time job at the CC level, I need the English Master's. Any encouragement, time management tips or other information is always welcomed!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

Congrats, mommyre!! That's eventually where I'd like to end up.

4. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

Thank you! I am excited. I only need a Bachelor's in something related to English (Elementary Education counts) in order to be an Adjunct instructor, but I really need a full time job. I am going to LOVE the Community College where I am teaching. They seem to have a great team, and great support. I have never left an orientation feeling that PUMPED about a new year!!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

Awesome!! I have what I need to be an adjunct, just have to find a job close enough.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

Good luck with your classes! I work with some people who have taught at the community college level, and they have enjoyed the experience. One of these days I will look into teaching some history or education courses as an adjunct, too.

7. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

Thanks. I have taught at other community colleges, but I think I am really going to fit in at this one. I liked the others, but I was teaching ESL at one and it was a roller coaster ride with classes being available then cancelled altogether, then available. I also taught Dev. Reading at one, but they require a Master's in English to even be an adjunct now, so I don't qualify anymore. And I taught Compensatory Education at one, and LOVED it but budget cuts ate that position. I hope I am at this one to stay, I can't handle any more roller coaster rides right now!

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Best of luck! When I retire from teaching full-time, I'd like to be a part-time adjunct.

9. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

FYI, My first day went well. I am still super excited. Right now though I am super tired!

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 20, 2012

Great! :thumb: I always find the first class to be the most difficult since you don't know what type of group you are getting.

11. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 9, 2013

How exciting and congratulations! I hope things are still going well!