Developing a love of reading

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsCAD, Jul 25, 2009.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I teach in a school district that is almost 100% free/reduced lunch. I have very few students who love to read and acutally honestly do the reading assignments. Most of my students would rather cheat on their assignments than read a book.

Our literacy test scores are not good. I have been doing some thinking this summer and I believe that if we can foster a love (ok, maybe just a like) for reading, our test scores would increase. I want to do this. I have thought about starting reading workshops in my classroom and really start talking one-on-one with my kids about their reading.

I'm afraid that my principal will not be very receptive to the idea and he is wanting me to start using DIBELS in my classroom (I teach 7th/8th grade Language Arts).

I guess I'm just looking for some advice, opinions, anything?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I don't teach ELA but as a SS teacher literacy is really important to success in my classroom. I totally agree with the connection between loving/liking to read and test scores. I do make my World History students read historical fiction for a compare/contrast of real history vs book history. I think this assignment is successful for my students because I allow them to choose any book with any historical content. I think the necessary item for fostering a love of reading is allowing student to have a choice in reading material.

Maybe if you could find some research to back or prove your idea, your principal will allow you to implement this program. Good Luck and I truly hope you will be successful in creating an entire group of reading lovers :)

4. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 26, 2009

To foster a love of reading, read aloud books you love. When your students see your love of reading, they will see that it have value.

5. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I've done this for the 3 years that I have been there. I do weekly book talks on their books - even getting very excited about them. I also read book to them that I can't stand, but that has a topic they might be interested in to help out. So far, nothing!

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

DIBELS?

I just read Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson. It is mostly focused on writing but some of what he has in there may work to start reading/writing interest. You may want to peruse that book to see if you get any ideas. He uses many picture books as a basis for his classes on writing. Then he gets the kids writing and looking for focused writing examples in what they are reading. He has turned my whole view of LA upside down. Maybe mixing some of that in with focused reading will help.

Have any of them gotten graphic novels? That has helped some kids in our school get a start. Good luck!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Read "Readicide" by Gallagher.