Devastated..Need Some Adivce

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ABCteacher123, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ABCteacher123

ABCteacher123 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have had a heartbreaking day.
    I want to ask you to please read the whole lengthy (sorry) post before commenting, and I know many of you will say it is my fault for being too trusting and with no contract yet, I should have known, but if that is all you want to say, then please DON'T.
    This was supposed to be my fourth year teaching. I was offered my dream position at my dream school in the beginning of June and was recommended to HR in mid June (which I was told this was just a formality and the job was mine), hand delivered my documents in within a couple of days and thought I was set. So I had to give my notice where I taught last year and broke my contract to take this job. My principal has been emailing me frequently with all kinds of information pertaining to the school and my job and set up. My principal told me that HR is slow and not to worry...so I didn't. My district has been going though A LOT of changes, as are many others and like everyone else, it has affected everything in the district and has caused some chaos, slowing down the already slow process.
    Preplanning begins next week, on Monday, August 1. I began to worry this past Monday, I have yet to receive my contract. So I have been keeping in touch with the admin on a daily basis this week and was told things were fine, just waiting on HR. I have met all of the other teachers and my name is on the door and lists, they have ordered some new things for my classroom and everything. Then today, the Friday before preplanning begins, the principal tells me that I do not have a job, people who were recommended to HR after a certain date will not be receiving a contract and they were made aware of this last night. They really like me and want me to stay, but HR won't allow it. Now my classroom will be empty this year, cap is raised across the board at all schools in the district and they are cramming children into classrooms and leaving MANY classrooms empty in already overcrowded schools. It is terrible what they are doing to the children. It makes me sick.
    I know the admin of the school feels terrible and did all that they could, they are in no way at fault in my opinion. I know they are just as stressed as I am. They said if enrollment goes way up they might be able to hire me in October, but I don't know how likely it is.
    During this whole, almost 2 months, period I was never able to get in contact with my HR Rep, through email, phone or by stopping by HR. Now I have quit a job, turned down interviews, and another offer for this job, and now no new jobs are posted, and they are not hiring subs.
    I am devastated, how could it be ok to do this to hundreds of people? Dragging me on for almost 2 months?
    So I am back to where I was a couple of months ago, starting over, with hope of hearing from this dream school again in October. Things may change, as the principal said, once school starts, but right now nobody knows, it's day to day.
    What do I put on my resume now?? I have to have a job, we cannot survive without my income. I have quit a job, and I guess...now I'm unemployed. Will people viewing my resume and cover letter understand why I currently have no job if I leave out that I was offered a position and it was cut last minute and that is why I am without a job? Or should I some how include that on my cover letter? Will it look bad if I don't put anything and leave it? What should I do?

3. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I am so sorry this is happening to you! One thing I have learned through a few job heartbreaks is that what is meant to be will be and that everything happens for a reason. Right now I know that is tough to hear, but some day in the future you will look back to this experience and understand. So what do you do now? I personally would not explain this in a new cover letter, the precious space in your cover letter should highlight what you have to offer for whatever position you are applying for. If you complete more applications, I believe there is typically a question regarding the reasons you left particular jobs. You may be able to explain your situation there. I wish you the best of luck. Stay hopeful, things will work out.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

That's HORRIBLE! I can't believe the HR and SB at that district did that to you. :(

I don't think you should include it on your cover letter, either. There will be plenty of time for you to explain that in an interview if you need to.

Gosh, my heart is just breaking for you. I hope that you find something soon. :hugs:

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

First of all, a big hug. It's awful that they are doing this.

I think you might be able to gracefully explain in one line in the cover letter that due to last-min. budget cuts, you are looking for an xyz position. I'm wondering if you don't--maybe they will wonder why you left your job in June and are still looking now.

I feel certain that you are going to get something just right for you. Maybe post both versions of the cover letter here and see what people think?

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Hello. I am so sorry to hear your problems. That is a tough one. I would have not worried myself if I had been in the same situation, so you can stop blaming yourself. Now, the good news is that the P does feel terrible and will certainly keep you in mind if something surfaces. You have probably burned some bridges in your former district, so I guess that is a no go. I would start dropping off resumes/cover letters at schools on the chance that something opens up. I would also call the HR where you were offered interviews and let them know to put you back on their radar. Otherwise, you are listed as "taken." It is a terrible situation to be in, but you need to turn this negative into a positive. As much as the idea may make you crazy, you might also go ahead and get on the substitute list at the districts that are within driving distance to your home. I wish you luck. :hugs:

What state are you in?

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 29, 2011

I hate to hear this for you, but you aren't alone. :hugs: Last year I was desperately searching for a job and had an awesome interview. They liked me and had the headmaster approve me for a teaching position before I left the building. They told me what my salary would be and then asked if I could come in the next day to get into the training class they had going on with their current staff. (It was a SpEd school) They told me my contract would be ready in 24-48 hrs. I literally raced around that night getting things in order and ended up calling my HR director at my job I was leaving (job was being cut) to let them know I needed to get out of my contract earlier than expected by a few weeks. I was so thrilled to have a job finally for fall. So, I go to the class the next day and met the other staff. They all seemed puzzled that I was there, as no one knew about any openings in the building. At lunch, I met one of the para's and she mentioned in passing that she was up for the teaching job that might come open for fall. I had an older teacher come to me to say she was concerned because IF there was an opening that their school works on seniority and as a new hire I would not be first in line. So, at the end of the day I went to talk to the HR person. He gave me the same run around at first of 24-48 hrs before they could get me a contract to sign, but I pressed him and he fessed up that there were no actual teaching jobs open. They had a para job open, at half the salary I was told, and Id' have no choice but to take that. He then tried to tell me if I took it, then they would give me the first teaching slot that opened up. I asked about the seniority and he then admitted to me that possibly one, or two, other para's in the building would have first refusal dibs. Needless to say, I was heart broken and felt like I had just put my trust out there to have it crushed. It happens sometimes and it stinks to be put in those kinds of situations. I hope something works out for you quickly!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I am SO sorry you are going through this!!!

9. ABCteacher123

ABCteacher123 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Thank you all for your support. I am still crying, I didn't think it would be this tough to get over. I guess it is so hard because I gave up a job and now school is starting and everything is filled by now. I have even looked in an hour and a half away radius around my house.
    Rainbowbird, I was thinking the same thing, that they might wonder why I am not working. I might post my cover letters when I am done.
    I was wondering if I was listed as "taken" because they recently did do some long term sub hiring, but it was concluded like 3 days ago, right before they decided to let the almost new hires go. I was wondering why they did not fill those with people like me who were already in the system. I wouldn't be listed as taken in other districts would I?...or just the one I was offered the job in??
    I actually worked for a private school last year, so it is a different situation. I was very close with my headmaster there and she was mad about me leaving. Which, I do not know if I want to return to that environment, it got a little uncomfortable when I left.
    There is only one district that is hiring subs right now and they screen in the beginning of October, which I am planning on attending if I have nothing else by then. The rest are on a freeze or already hired in June.
    I do not want to really say what state I am in yet, because I want my story and feelings to stay very private during my search and with the very slim possibility that I might get on the sub list in the district and get a job there in the future.
    I will try and post my cover letters in a little bit.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2011

My, my, I can't begin to imagine how you're feeling! Is there any way you can try to get your old job back?

11. ABCteacher123

ABCteacher123 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Ms. I, it has already been filled. I may call Monday morning and see if there is something else I can do. But last time I spoke with her my position was the last that needed to be filled and she had just filled it.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Ask the principal of the school that froze the job to write you a letter of recommendation. Maybe if it was explained by him and he expressed how sorry he was that you weren't going to be able to be hired by his school, it might help with future interviews.

Good luck...and no, you were not ever in the wrong!

13. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

My heart is just breaking for you and your family. I cannot imagine being in this situation or this school's total lack of professionalism. I pray something happens for you very quickly. :hugs:

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2011

I'm so sorry you are going through this! How unprofessional and mean that the school told you you had this job, but then had to not give it to you. I'm sorry but that is very unprofessional for someone in a school to tell you you have a job and then not be able to go through it.

As painful and depressing as this might be, I always try to look at it as it just wasn't meant to be and there's something much better out there for you.

Last year, one of our teachers had to quit around December (we don't know why-- its very hush hush), so we hired a brand new teacher to take his place. She was originally from the town the school is in, but had to move out to a different state to live in her grandfather's house (free rent basically) since she could not find a job. She drove 2+ hours to school every morning so she could work half a year and 2+ hours back home on most evenings. The school offered her the position for the new school year and she'll finally be moving back to the town.

So stay positive-- great positions can be found mid-year too. I would recommend that you remain the professional you are and send a thank you card/e-mail about making the job offer and that you understand about HR. I'd also mention that I would want to stay with the school if a full-time position opens up (maybe something will pop up).

Good luck to you!! :)

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

The reason I asked your state is because we have some openings in my district. I was going to give you a head's up. Anyhow, I understand that you feel like your life is under a microscope right now so it is hard to trust anyone. So, good luck to you and I am very sorry that this happened to you. Again, all the best.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

Wow. Makes me so mad!!! :( I can't believe they did that to you.

:( You never know though. I have been hired two times after the school year began.....

17. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

How awful for you, I'm sorry. The school I work for did the same thing in June to a prospective hire. She was interviewed and told that she got the job, so she resigned from her current job, only to find out a week or two later that the BOE turned her down because she had a Master's degree, and they thought she was too expensive, and they wanted someone right out of college. :(

I would suggest you sign up for unemployment in the time being, and then register to sub in several different districts. Both teaching jobs I got started in November, so don't give up. Good luck.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

oh I am so sorry for you! As far as your resume, I would put down why I am without a job. Good luck on your search - that is horrible.

19. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things turn around soon.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I'm so sorry for your situation. If you are anywhere near Central Florida, there are plenty of jobs right now.

21. dylbai

dylbai Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

UGH!! I feel so bad for you. That is so unfair. I am speechless. I am sure you are a great teacher and individual and will succeed in spite of this.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

23. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Oh my gosh, this is like my worst nightmare.

I am certified in Texas (probationary--first year teacher) for Generalist 4-8 and SPED (stand alone). Well I got offered a position at an elementary school, and she wants me to take the EC-6. No problem, except my certification program has to release me to take that exam...Finally got the go-ahead today, earliest I can take it is next Thursday.

I keep thinking, there's no way I'll sign a contract until I get this exam passed...I've GOT to pass it NOW so HR/Principal/whoever doesn't get sick of waiting and not issue a contract.

I've been telling myself I'm paranoid but from these stories...@#%^ happens. *scared*

24. ABCteacher123

ABCteacher123 Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Thank you all for your support during this crazy and difficult time. I took the weekend off for getting myself together and planned on returning to the search and posting my cover letters on here on Monday.
    But...I heard from the school this morning and they have been working on getting me back apparently and I have been hired at my dream school, but for first grade instead of kindergarten. Which is just as great! The principal, AP and myself all screamed with excitement when they called me over speaker phone to tell me the great news! I am so excited! Thank you all for your support!

25. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 1, 2011

Congratulations!!!

26. ABCteacher123

ABCteacher123 Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

mandaisepic, I read all of these forums forever, hearing about different horror stories, avoiding the ones about people who found jobs under difficult circumstances. I focused in on the terrible ones because I felt I could relate, thinking it would make me feel better to know all of the possible outcomes, but instead it made me crazy...thinking of all of the what if's. I thought it would be better to "prepare" myself for anything. It did not. It just made things worse. I began to over analyze everything and stressed my self out more than was necessary, then I got in the situation I posted about, and really went crazy. Bad things do happen, not matter how hard you try to prevent them and how much knowledge you try to gain about what might happen, but I am a good example of something that ended up working out. Read the positive posts too, don't be scared. I know everyone tells you this, but it WILL work out. I never believed it, but it DID and at the very last minute...Preplanning begins today, I get in my room late in the morning Wednesday, open house is Friday morning, and school begins Monday. I guess it is really never too late.
    Don't make yourself crazy like I did, just hope for the best and you will find something when the time is right. I wish you the best of luck!

27. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

Congratulations on your happy ending! :partyhat:

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

Congrats, ABC!:celebrate::celebrate:

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

Wahooooooo! That's awesome. I'm so happy for you! Now go and celebrate before jumping into the planning stage!!!! :D

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

At first I was upset reading this thread for what they did to you, but YAY that they came through for you! Good luck!

31. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

That is great! Congratulations and I am so glad this has worked out for you! What an awful thing for the district to do on such short notice but yay for the job in the dream school!!! :)

32. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 1, 2011

Yeah!!!! Glad everything worked out for you. God always has a perfect plan we just don't know it.

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2011

congratulations!!! Get into the HR department first thing tomorrow morning and sign a contract!

34. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

WOO HOO! Very happy for you. I TOLD you that P would feel terrible and would find a way to make it work! Have a great year!

35. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

Congratulations!

36. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

Great news :) I am glad this had a happy ending for you. Have fun planning and getting ready for the first day of school

37. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

So glad you have a happy ending!! YAY!!!

38. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

phew!! glad that it all had a happy ending :)