Determining Grades

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by ThirdGrade123, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Oct 18, 2007

How do you determine L.A. grades? I give spelling tests, grammar tests, comprehension tests, and reading fluency exams. I also do loads of writing as well. However, I don't really have a specific system where I calculate a percentage of each section of L.A. to determine the grade. The bulk of my grade comes from the work in their copybook b/c it's most indicitive of their daily work. I'm wondering if each of you use percents or include a paticipation and homework grade.

Thank you!

3. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I posted this message because I had a very strange conference with a father (who is supposedly a principal of a middle school). He was asking to see all my rubrics for each subject. I explained that I don't have rubrics for each subject, and that I use rubrics for specific projects and assignments. I then explained how I assess the students in each subject. He was completely rude to me and told me, "You're not understanding me," and, "I ask this question to my daughter's teacher every year and I never get what I want." I told him about our school's philosophy and where we get our guidelines from, but nothing I told him satisfied him. Finally, I told him that he should make an appointment to speak with the principal and his response, "You're reading too much into this." Nice, right?

So, I went home and thought that perhaps MAYBE he was TRYING to ask me how I determine grades. That's the only logical thing I can think of. It got me wondering if in 3rd grade you give a homework grade or participation grades or do you just average test and quiz grades? This man has gotten me very confused.

I do appreciate anyone who is willing to comment on this. Thanks!!

4. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

We do not give homework or participation grades. Our grades are based soley on assessments or special projects. We do allow A chance for a re-do on assessments. This is a new corporation policy that we adopted this year. It is a lot of work, but I really like it.

I hope that helps! He sounds like no answer you could have given him would have been the right one! Sometimes people ask questions, but don't really know what they are asking.

5. Violet

Violet Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

I average quiz, test, and project grades to determine grades. I would incoporate HW and effort into the grade. For example, if a child has a 68 average but he tries very hard and always does his HW, I will bump him up to 70. I hope this helps! Good luck with your grading. :)

6. smile10

smile10 Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

Do any of you explain to the kids (in general, not detail) how you figure out their grades for specific tests, homeworks, projects, etc. and how you combine them to come up with the grades for the quarter? Do you tell them the point of grading? Do you tell them why they should try to do their best? Or are these topics usually parents' not teacher's responsibility?

7. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Oct 25, 2007

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm pretty much on the same page as all of you. I don't give an exact HW or participation grade, but if need be, I can use that to move a child up a few points. Some parents make me nuts!

Smile10, I do talk to the children and let them know that they are responsible for their own work. I explain that their grade comes from assessments as well as the work they do in their copybook. I also help them to understand why we grade (basically for me to find out what they need help in and what they are excelling at) and what the different letter grades mean. In my school, this is the first year they actually get letter grades so many of them have no idea what to expect.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 25, 2007

I would ask the same thing as the principal I do not like this whole wishy wash way of determining grades I as a parent and when I was a student want to KNOW exactly how a grade ie earned. I do not want to know the grade is based on classwork, homework, and tests. I want to know how the teacher weights each assignment, does he/she use total points, catergory percentages, count some thing as two grades, or everything equally.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 25, 2007

I see what he was getting at, in Middle School and High School, it is expected if not rquired that the parents, students, and admin. are notified of you grading policies. For example, you are expected to say how much each assignment type is worth of the student grade, if you use total points, etc.