Detentions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

I'm wondering what you guys issue detentions for. I have been "threatening" to issue detentions for students who don't write complete sentences, or use correct grammar. Since I have first told my students about my new rule (detentions for not writing correctly), they have magically become really great writers. I am just so sick of the sloppiness. I am a language arts tutor, and I feel like I am not doing my job if I don't enforce conventional writing when they have been asked to so.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2008

That's great that it works. I would probably just make them redo the assignment if the work wasn't acceptable.

I give detentions for things like insubordination, defiance, disruptions. Lates. The most recent one lately has been saying "That's gay" after a warning, or saying other offensive language (calling people homos, F***ots, Jews). I don't tolerate that stuff.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

I try to avoid detentions if at all possible becuase they don't really do much (at least in my school). If I do give them its for reasons like silver described.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 15, 2008

I'm having hard time buying idea of using a punishment, essentially part of a school's discipline code, as a stick to motivate what is essentially an instructional problem.

How about a teacher's standard of excellence taught early on? If there is no standard kids will make up their own standard which may be quite different than what teacher expects. Two ideas come to mind: 1) When can a student say, "I'm done" ? 2) A teacher's standard of excellence will be determined by the *sloppiest* piece of work the teacher will accept. In short, if a teacher accepts half-written sentences with sloppy errors in grammar than this type of writing becomes the standard and teacher can expect more of same since the standard has been defined. :2cents:

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 18, 2008

As a first-grade teacher, I issue recess, after school, or Saturday (morning) detentions only for behavioral issues. Insubordination; deliberate, repeated rudeness in spite of warnings; habitual disruption of class; anything violent; obscenities, etc. I have been told that the only reason they are effective is because (at least for after school and Saturdays) they disrupt the parents' schedules, because the students can't ride the bus!

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

I haven't had to actually issue detentions since I have first threatened to do so. If they don't write correctly, I've had them correct their mistakes right there "on the spot." The main point that I wanted to get out to them was that sloppiness is not acceptable, and neither is laziness. Since I am working as the tutor, they are coming to me from a different English class. I am not sure what has or has not been enforced in that class, but I have discussed with their regular classroom teacher what I am doing. Perhaps a detention is too harsh, but I needed some sort of threat to get them serious. We also have an afternoon homework club, which I am thinking of using for some of them who are demonstrating really poor writing. This is not a punishment for them, but an oppurtunity for them to work on areas in which they really need extra help.

8. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Apr 20, 2008

The goal is not to issue detentions. It's supposed to be a deterrent. I issue detentions are part of my discipline process - lunch detention occurs after 1 warning. Afterschool detention is added after that.

However, I also issue 5 minute lunch "duh-tentions" when they do something stupid like sharpen a pencil when someone is talking, speak without being called on, or (pet peeve) crumple paper in class. They think it's funny, but it keeps them on their toes.

After the first week of school, I usually don't have to issue any detentions as they become better trained. Every now and then someone will get a duhtention by accident.