Desperately looking for Open House HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kmcole4, Aug 19, 2005.

1. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

Hi All!

I am desperately looking for help with Open House info. I am terrified! I am not comfortable doing a group speech on the various curriculum areas (Fundations, Scholsatic Literacy Place, John Collins, etc.) because I haven't actually engaged myself in them at the K level.
    Also, I feel that parents get bored doing this--some have other children having Open House on the same night and some have children who have already been through K. I don't want to be repetitive. I feel that at the level children learn through active engagementas and through varied play experiences so I want parents to do the same.
    I have a packet of curriculum overview info for parents to take with them and I wanted to set up the different materials that go with the curric. kits on each table area. A fundations table, and everyday math table etc. Authentic sample activities of what their children will be doing throughout the year. On these tables I wanted to put a laminated sheet stating what curric. area this is, what the goals/objectives are (some of them) and a list of activities that the kids will be doing--maybe even at home connection activities.
    Has anyone done this or does anyone have any suggestions on how to format this? I am a first year teacher and have never seen an Open House night! YIKES! :thanks:

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2005

Relax,
    The parents aren't expecting you to give a formal presentation I wouldn't think. There are some great ideas at www.littlegiraffes.com Go under the teacher area and then under themes. She has a section on Open House. Maybe you could do a scavenger hunt like that..........also that would be a real hands on type of activity, so parents weren't just listening to you speak. Then, if they had particular questions, you would be more free to answer one on one. You could also direct them to centers and try out different things with their child as well. I'll try to think of some more ideas for you, but in the meantime, see if that helps and TRY NOT TO WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

hahahahaha---I guess I am a little crazed!--it is weird--it comes in waves for a few hours I freak out, then I get some stuff done and feel like 'hey--it's going alright--I am almost set', then right back into freak out phase. Weird huh? I am totally comfortable with the kids and teaching them, I know it is going to be trial and error. It is just the parent open house that is wearing on me. The kids come for a half hour on the 30th with parents for their orientation, then ONLY parents come for open house on Sept. 8th. Thanks fro the kind reply--I am going to check the Little Giraffe section now--I love her website! Thanks again!

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 19, 2005

*****We have open house one evening during the first week of school. Parents come, meet the teacher and look at the room.
    Have an apple for everyone and share this poem. We have several apple trees. I don’t have to buy the apples.
    An Apple for the teacher
    Is really nothing new
    Except when you remember
    Parents are teachers too!
    I put the apple in a popcorn sack with a bit of tissue paper.
    Staple the poem to the sack.
    An apple puts everybody in a good mood.
    Box Tops for Education. sponsored by General Mills. Clip and save Box Tops for Education from General Mills foods cereal and etc. You earn ten cents for each token found on the boxes and cans. http://www.boxtops4education.com/ You might want to check it out. Our school collects the boxtops for education tokens. They send you money. Make this a class project. Our school has a large dorm refrigerator in each elementary classroom from this project and we get library books, and whatever we want. Get your students, parents, grandparents and etc involved. Tell them your earning money for a refrigerator, books or whatever is your hearts desire.

K, first, second, third, and fourth grade have name tag tri-pods on the
    upper corner of their desks. First name is printed on the front and
    back and taped to the desk standing up on the desk. They are three
    inches high and about 9 inches long. These are wonderful for the first
    few weeks of school and when you rearrange desk. Also great for the sub
    teachers (we call them guest teachers) helpers, Paras and etc. Good
    everyone can call all the students by name and good self-esteem booster.
    Students are to leave them on their desk all year. Also makes passing
    out papers easier.
    I use my triple hole punch lots, scissors—large pair that fit your hand, sticky notes, slid loc baggies, dry erase markers, Ink pad and stamp = Property of your name. Mark your name on everything you buy, if you move to a different room or different district you know what you bought with your money and so does everybody else. Stickers are cheapest at the dollar stores, just keep looking at different times. Sewing kit for a dollar (thread and needle), some safety pins. Read: First Day Jitters by Julie Dannenbu and “Kissing Hand” and activities for first day a must.
    Make a file folder for each student, document lessons not turned in, Keep ALL notes from home and copy of your reply, copy of e-mails. When a student is punished for whatever reason (talking and misses 2 minutes of recess time ---have student write down why they were punished and how --put in the file folder. Also keep the original copy of spelling test --send a copy home. Can’t erase and change) This will save you problems. Have parents fill out an informational sheet for you. Keep in the students file folders. “Please help me get to know your child” http://teachers.net/mentors/primary...4.05.20.08.html[/url] Is a copy of a form. I would add child’s birthday. Who to call if parents can’t be reached.
    These ideas have all been shared with me. I don’t take credit for any of the ideas. I love them all and hope they help you get started on the best year ever.
    Partners
    I dreamed I stood in a studio
    And watched two sculptors there.
    The clay they used was a child’s mind
    And they fashioned it with care.
    One was the teacher; the tools used
    Were books and music and art
    One, a parent with guiding hands,
    A gentle and loving heart.
    Day after day the teacher toiled
    With a touch both deft and skilled.
    The parent labored side by side
    And all the values filled.
    And when at last their task was done
    They looked at what they’d wrought
    The beautiful shape of the precious child
    Could neither be sold or bought.
    And each agreed it would have failed
    If one had worked alone.
    For behind the parent stood the school,
    And behind the teacher, the home.
    You are your child’s first and best teacher. My goal is to build a partnership with you this__________grade year and together we will continue to help your child grow and develop in all the important areas in their lives. Socially, Emotionally, Physically and Intellectually….
    Print on thick paper. Personalize with student’s name and give at the end of the year.
    *******Put up a big tree and put apples on it. On each apple put things you'd like to have for your classroom, that parents might donate. Some small items and bigger ones also. Glue sticks, zip lock bags, yarn, used microwave that still works, dorm refrigerator, magic markers, boxes of crackers, volunteers to help with field trips, reading and etc. Books all levels that they don't have a use for. Have a great time. Good Luck and Best Wishes

6. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

VERY cute! Thanks hes--you have been such a great resource and a kind ear!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2005

I completely understand about the parent thing..........put me in a room with 100 kids and I'm fine, but put me in a room with 10 adults and I'm nervous as heck! Guess it's good I'm a teacher in K. LOL!

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 19, 2005

I always make my room into a self guided tour for parents and their kids. The most important thing is a computer slide show of class pictures that runs continuously! I also include an estimation station with a prize for the closest guessing family (given the next day) and a wish tree with "wish" cards (leaves, apples) that they can take home. I also include a parent conference sign-up calendar to refer parents to that want an impromptu conference. Keep them busy and then guide them to other parts of the building. My last step on the tour is to visit the Music/Art/ P.E. teachers.

9. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

That sounds great---the kids do not come to the open house--just parents. How exactly do you do the self-guided tour? Do you have a map of the room and stations set up with signs/materials? I am thinking of doing this and having the benchmarks listed at each table for each area along with the specific curriculum materials--Chicago Math. Fundations, John Collins etc. Thanks--also do you write up a letter before open house letting parents know what will be covered?

10. Jacqboo

Jacqboo Rookie

Sep 16, 2005

At the open house I went to the kids and parents both went. There was a presentation in the auditorium for everyone, tables set up in the halls, and then nothing to do in the classroom but look around and ask questions if we could get the teacher to seem interested enough to answer. A tad bit anti-climatic.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 16, 2005

I have been trying to think of something to do for the parents and I love the apple poem. I am going to do it for my back to school night which is this Thursday!

12. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 16, 2005

Put a parent conference sign-up sheet out for parents that want to discuss their child in depth. Let them know that you cannot talk about the kids' academics with others around but they are welcome to sign up for a conference.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 17, 2005

also have a sign up sheet for parents to vulenteer in your class, for field trips, reading time, craft projects etc...

14. Gail J-kndg

Gail J-kndg Rookie

Sep 18, 2005

Hi
    I was going to post the same question because I thought my ideas were boring but what I realized was some of them are boring but a nessecity and not really boring to the new parents only to me because I do them year after year. The posted ideas were great I am taking some of them to use.

I set a table outside the hallway with flowers,and mints in a candy bowl. There is also a sign that says welcome to kindergarten signed by all of the children. When you enter the room, I have a message board just as I do for the children each day. The parents are instructed to write their hopes and dreams for their child's year at kindergarten on a post-it note and stick it to our hopes and dreams poster. They are then instucted to go to thier child's table where they will find their child's picture of their hope and dreams. The message then instructs them to go to another table and sign up for room parent, room volunteer, and sign our release for our classroom directory and sign a release to have a therapy dog in the room, and sign a release to have thier child video taped. I then ask them to make a big circle and it is big, I have two sessions of kindergarten 35 children total which brings in about 70 parents. Children are not invited to our back to school night. We have an open house in the spring just before school board elections. children are allowed to come at that time. I show the parents our cheer, we play a game, and we do a greeting. This leaves very little time for parents to try to start individual confrences. I do talk briefly about my hopes and dreams for the class, my philosophy, and touch on the reading, math, and handwriting programs. I inform parents that more specific questions can be asked at our november comferences.