Desperate Grandmother

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by grannydee, Nov 18, 2006.

1. grannydee

grannydee New Member

Nov 18, 2006

:angel:
    Hello, I really need some feedback on a problem . I am raising my two grandsons who are in first and second grade and they are having many problems at school.The youngest is VERY small for his age and he gets picked on most of the time and this is devastating to his self esteem. I have only had the boys since July and I feel that they may benefit from being home schooled more than they are benefiting from public school.I do not have the time to work with them in a way I feel would bring them up to par with all the home work they bring home or else I would send them to public school and teach them at home also. By the time they get home and get all of the homework that was sent home it is time for bath and bed.Do you think I should start to home school them after Christmas or should I keep sending them to public school and let them fall further behind?

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

How much homework are your boys getting? I teach first grade and my students never have more than read for a reading log, and 2worksheets (math and or reading) ...that may be a big issue to bring up with the teachers.

I do not know much about homeschooling...I know some others here do, hopefully they reply. I may be reading this wrong, but if you feel that you do not have the time to work with them on homework, please understand that homeschooling them will be much more time consuming.

IT also sounds like you want to pull them out because of social reasons....I am sure that it breaks your heart to see your boys picked on, but removing them from school may not solve the problem. Even if they are homeschooled, they still need to socialize, you will have to find groups and programs for them to be involved in. I would also address the being picked on issue with the teacher.

You know your grandchildren best, I am sure that you will make the right decision, let us know what happens!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 18, 2006

Bless you for helping your grandchildren. I imagine something not-so-great has led to you raising them, so my heart is with you.

Speak to the boys' teachers. Partner with them on a plan to address all the issues - and remind them that the boys are in a transition which is never easy. Set a date to revisit the issue with the teachers and decide now what will be "success" to you. For example, your joint plan could include finding a buddy for your smaller boy, someone who could shepherd him through the day and help him find his voice to speak up when he's picked on. The plan might also include a time limit on time spent on homework each night instead of having to complete everything. For a first and second grader, maybe 20-30 minutes on reading and worksheets is more than enough, even if it all doesn't get done. Then, you need to think about what would constitute success. If after two weeks time your grandsons are both still miserable about school and you think they are suffering too much, you can revisit the homeschooling idea.

Homeschooling isn't a panacea. But public school isn't for everyone, either. Homeschooling is very time consuming, but you'll have all day to do it. Unless you work, then it's going to take some serious creativity. If you have all day, homeschooling can be very rewarding and relationship-building for you and your grandsons. You can join homeschooling park-day groups and may find more tolerance and acceptance for differences there. Maybe because the parents are there, or maybe because homeschooled kids aren't so-called "socialized" by their peers, they seem to get along well together regardless of age, size, etc. You may also find the adult support of the other parents helpful to you.

Don't be rash, don't act out of fear. Know that you are going to do the best thing for your family. Talk to adults you trust about the situation and see what creativity comes up. You have my utmost respect and confidence, based on what you've said, that you're a major blessing in the boys' lives.

5. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 18, 2006

Keep in mind that whatever the reason is for your having them since July is also a factor in their social issues at this point. If they are experiencing some emotional feelings because of life changes, they are going to need some time to acclimate. Our district has a program for that, called Special Friends, where a trained teacher spends about 30 minutes a week, one-on-one, with a student to help him/her grow more secure in their social skills and/or help them grow more confident in the school environment. It works wonders and is great for boosting self esteem in a natural way. You might inquire at your school to see if such a program is available. It is NOT counseling or anything like that--it is simply someone spending time helping in whatever way possible.

I agree with Lovetoteach that you should speak with the teacher(s) about bullying, if that is what is happening. Most schools have a zero tolerance and will deal with real issues quickly. You may need to find out exactly what the "picking on" consists of--first and second graders often perceive things differently than what is intended.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

Yes, ask at your school. We offer some programs for children who have trouble with scocial skills. Some are after school and others are during the day (usually during lunch)

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

granny, I homeschool my 6 yr old daughter and it is a lot of commitment. It's a 24/7 thing because you're always preparing. That doesn't count the time you use searching for curriculum that will serve them best.

I believe they will get acceptance in homeschool settings, like classes just for homeschoolers. You can join those even if you are not part of a h.s. group. I see a giant difference in attitude between the kids in my daughter's h.s. classes and the regular classes she's been in. It's true that there's more acceptance among homeschooled kids, because they aren't around all the attitudes that get picked up in a p.s. setting. At least, that's how it's been for us .

I'd suggest trying to get things ironed out at school until you have the time to devote to homeschooling. I also think if you start homeschooling you'll see a great improvement for your grandkids.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2006

granny, I agree with srh. For whatever reason thse littel sweetie are with you, transition is stressful.... New school, new family situation- it's bound to have its effects. See if you can contact the school guidance counselor and share your concerns. Talk to the teachers and see what reinforcement in academics is neded at home. Find some sports teams or boys scouts, etc for them. Invite some playdates. They need to know that you are there for them-encourage, support as much as you can but I wouldn't take on homeschooling right now if you don't have the time plus it would just be another transition for them- could be TOO MUCH change...

9. grannydee

grannydee New Member

Nov 18, 2006

I home schooled my own children for three years and I loved it. They progressed at a far greater rate than they would have in P.S.

10. grannydee

grannydee New Member

Nov 18, 2006

I have nothing but time. We live in a rural area and our school system has very little to offer. I just wonder if it would be alright for me to home school them for a year or two. I need to put them on an accelerated program so they can reach their potential. Their teachers don't have the time to give them the one on one they need.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 18, 2006

grannydee--I think some of us are confused because in your initial post you said you "don't have the time..." That explains some of the responses you're getting!

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

Yep- that's what I thought! I thought granny worked or something.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2006

I read it, and understand her to mean that after the boys get home from being in school all day, doing homework, etc., there is no time left. I don't think she means she works all day. Just that the hours that are left after school/homework doesn't leave time for her to homeschool them in a way that would be of any benefit.

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

Since you already have experience with homeschooling, I think it would be a wonderful idea! I'm not sure how the laws are in your state, but in mine, kids can go right back into public school up until high school. In other words, if I pulled my son out of ps and homeschooled him for 4th and 5th grades, he could then go back into ps in 6th grade. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that you are going to love it and to love the difference it makes in your grandson's self-esteem, not to mention the academic progress he's sure to show!

It can be a lot of work, but it seems to get much easier as time goes by...but I'm sure you already know that. I applaud you for being so involved in the lives of your grandkids!! NO teacher has a more vested interest in their success than you do!

15. azteach

azteach Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I think you have already made up your mind. It seems that you will not be happy with whatever the public school tries to do. I don't think that they will be able to satisfy you. You said that they have very little to offer. Keep them home.