Desperate for new field day ideas.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, May 4, 2010.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 4, 2010

This is my 5th year at my school and I want some fresh stuff for field day. The PE teacher before me did the same thing every year. I don't want to turn into that!

The most popular things are the bounce houses that the PTA rents for us and the pitching machine for hitting baseballs. I might have a little extra money for the PTA to buy some things. I was thinking about slip and slides and maybe some nerf guns where they can shoot at targets.

Any other thoughts??

3. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 5, 2010

face painting, plant a tree, dunk tanks, soccer goal kicks...

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

We have a dancing station where they do the cha-cha slide that is popular.

Another one that is funny is the shoe toss where the kids all have to take their shoes off, and we throw them in a huge pile and mix them. Then the kids have to find their shoes, put them on, and get to the finish line.

The one that makes me laugh too is the dizzy bat race.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 5, 2010

I remember having a bday party & we did a cotton ball relay. WE had a bowl of cotton balls that blindfolded you had to dip your spoon in get a cotton ball & go to the other end of the room to drop the cotton ball. The catch was you couldn't use your other hand, so you didn't know if there were cotton balls or not!!!

What about a water balloon toss. At the school I taught at they did this...big hit, potato sack race!!!

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 5, 2010

When I was that age, we had school-wide games where classes would compete with each other, races and other physical feats. You could have some goofy relay races. Chewing frozen gum to make a bubble. Chewing five crackers before whistling. Spinning about a bat before running across a field. Diving for marshmallows in flour without hands. Egg/water balloon toss. Cotton ball on a spoon.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 5, 2010

sidewalk chalk paint

having a hippity hop race with those balls that you sit on and hold the handle and bounce on. Having a scooterboard race, or scooter board obstacle course.

9. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 5, 2010

Last year we did:
    Mixed up shoe race
    Water balloon toss
    Water relay race where they have to fill a sponge with water and run it to the other bucket, squeeze it out and run back
    Paper airplane making and then they all threw them to see which one flew the best/farthest
    *We did more but my lil brain can't remember at the moment!*

10. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 5, 2010

Keep the ideas coming guys!

We do have hippity hpps and I do dizzy izzy bat race. I love the shoe idea! Will look into that. The sponge thing could be fun too!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 5, 2010

MM suggested this game for my GS's birthday party, and it was the hit of the party:

Dye tennis balls--I used food dye--keep them in the bucket of water. Throw them at a target. It makes a great mess, and the boys loved it.

The other game we played was to tie a balloon to your ankle. Try to pop everyone else's balloon. The last un-popped balloon wins.

12. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

May 6, 2010

All the rage last year was a gummy worm covered in whipped cream. Students raced with no hands to find the gummy worm.

We have a bucket brigade with water and sponges, wet sponge toss, obstacle course, face painting, but nothing cool like a jump house!

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 6, 2010

Have you seen the show Minute to Win It on NBC? It has some things that might be able to be modified for elementary school games. Check out the website: http://www.nbc.com/minute-to-win-it/

14. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 6, 2010

Water relay....have a two liter bottle and poke a few holes in it. the students fill it up at one end, place it on top of their heads, run to the other end, and try to fill up the empty bucket on the other side. SOOO fun!

We have done a balance beam with mats underneath. Two kids sit on the beam and pillow fight until someone falls off.

Frisbee toss into hula hoops.

Tug-of-war

I'm sure there are more.....but can't think.....

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 8, 2010

We do lots of water games. The kids love it!

My favorite is the Ice Melt. Teams are given a chunk of ice (frozen in a margarine tub), and the team that melts it first is the winner. It's a great game to teach what a team looks/acts like! Plus, my team almost always wins!:p