Desperate for English 6-12 FTCE guidance

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Etta, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

Hi, everyone. I am new to this site. I found it when I was googling ways to study for and pass the English 6-12 FTCE. I took the test for the first time this past weekend, and I did not pass it; despite an entire month of hardcore studying, and taking numerous practice tests I found online. I found that the actual exam was comprised mainly of various teaching scenarios, which I obviously knew very little about. Does anyone out there have ANY guidance, on how I can possibly pass this thing in the near future?

Thanks!

Etta

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2016

Some of what look like teaching scenarios may well be teaching scenarios, but chances are good that at least some of them are questions about English content hiding under a thin veneer of teaching scenario. Think back over questions you recall and see if my observation makes a bit more sense of some of them.

jyotshna likes this.
  4. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 26, 2016

What you are saying, logically, makes perfect sense. It would definitely help if I had the test sitting in front of me, and I could put your philosophy to good use. I truly appreciate your reply. I have been at a total loss of how to even begin to study.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 26, 2016

what state is this test in? You already got your score back? our ELAR in Texas takes 3 weeks to get our score!! I took the ELAR 7-12 here in TX last week for the second time. We have to write an essay in ours so that is why it takes longer to score.
    How did you do on practice tests? Ask you alt cert centers and see what help they can offer or if they practice tests.

6. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 26, 2016

I'm in Florida. I've only gotten an unofficial score of "not pass," and I got that immediately after taking the exam. We had to write an essay with ours too. I haven't gotten those results back yet. The essay and multiple choice are scored separately. It will take several weeks before I know about the essay. But given how challenging the multiple choice was, I am scared about my essay score as well.

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 26, 2016

that is cool. I wish ours will tell us right away if we passed or not the multiple choice. To me, the essay part is harder than the multiple choice. I failed by 8 points the first time. I feel like I passed for sure this time. I like that yours is ELAR 6-12. Ours is 7-12, and I am like, might as well add 6th grade in it! ya know?

8. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, that you passed this time. The exam is a beast, for sure! If you have any pointers on how to successfully pass the multiple choice portion, I am all ears....or eyes, I guess I should say. :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

In multiple choice questions, the correct answer is correct for more of the properties of the passage or scenario than are the other answers. Pay attention to specific ages, stages, interests, content, details in passages, connotations of words, and so on: make a list and check them off multiple choice answer by multiple choice answer, if need be. To take a very simple example, if one didn't know how to classify the Paul Bunyan legend, one might be tempted to assign it to history or biography, but the existence of elements like the blue ox Babe eliminates both, and one wouldn't call it "magic realism" because, even if it were that realistic, its characters and settings are simply too far north of the Rio Grande.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  10. Anstice

Anstice Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Have you considered paying the $75 for a score verification? That would give you access to the exam and your responses. You might be able to glean a lot from doing that instead of going in cold on a re-test.

11. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give me that example. I really appreciate it.

12. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

I had NO idea that was an option! I would definitely be interested in doing that.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

I do need to point out that score verification almost never results in a change of the score.

14. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

A change in score on the already-taken exam, or are you referring to future exams? Also, does it tell you the CORRECT answer--to compare my wrong answers to?

15. Anstice

Anstice Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

The issue was understanding how to improve by examining one's mistakes, not actual score changes.

16. Anstice

Anstice Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

You may want to check the FTCE website for the details.

17. Etta

Etta Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Oh, my interest would definitely be in learning from my mistakes to perform better in the future--not to change the status of my current exam. I will look into it. Thanks for the info.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

Just making sure the word's out there, Anstice. In most states - including most other states with Pearson tests - score verification doesn't give the test taker a look at his/her/their own test, and most people who request score verification do so in hopes that a non-passing score will turn into a passing one.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

A to Z Forums policy prohibits the posting of actual specific test questions. This is in large measure for the protection of people who post those questions, because both of the major teacher-test companies can and do monitor forums like this and can and do take action against test takers, including rescinding passing scores. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone here.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

I'll add that the reason to study terms on Elmer's lists or anywhere else is generally not that one will be able to choose the correct definitions on a multiple choice test. Such questions are fairly rare. Rather, it's to be able to recognize the terms and concepts when they're in play in a given passage or scenario and to be able to use them fluently. The terms are the useful shorthand of the field.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

And my goal here is not to squelch all discussion but to ensure that the discussion follows forum policy and doesn't get anyone into avoidable hot water. You'd be surprised how specific and helpful the resulting discussion can be: shifts of perspective can prove very useful.

22. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

Hi Etta, just wondering if you have re-taken the test and how you did. I took it in March and passed the multiple choice but not the essay. I was told that they use the same poem and story. I wrote my essay on the poem last time, so I am going to choose the story.

23. Etta

Etta Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

Hey there! I just signed up to re-take the exam on May 18th. I got my essay results back, and I did pass that part. So, I just have to re-take the multiple choice section. I still feel like I am blindly studying for it, because all of the online study guides are outdated. I can't find anything current, since they changed the test format last year. It's so frustrating. I'm glad to hear you passed the multiple choice section of the exam! Any pointers for me?? :) I'm sure you'll do well on the essay this next time around.

24. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

I used the ftce review book called Xam English 6-12. I did the practice test a few times and mostly studied the sections about testing and evaluating students, and ethics. Those questions were not obvious to me. The questions about grammer, and literature were easier because you can definately eliminate at least two of the answers and then pick from the two.
    Most of the practice test questions were similar to the ones I had on the test, but I was not prepared for the amount of questions reguarding classroom management, ethics and evaluating students. Know the difference between a formal and informal evaluation, they asked quite a few on that.
    If I remember anything else I will let you know.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016

(Be careful not to reveal actual specific test questions: the test companies can and do monitor sites like this, and they can and do take action including the revocation of passing test scores.)

26. Etta

Etta Rookie

Apr 26, 2016

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed, I'll pass this next time. I'm really hoping to start applying for jobs for the next school year.

27. Breeziibre

Breeziibre Rookie

May 24, 2016

Hi Etta! I'm in the same boat as you! Have you passed yet? Have you found a better study guide?

28. Etta

Etta Rookie

May 24, 2016

I'm re-testing this Thursday, and I'm a nervous wreck. The high school where I sub has asked for my resume, which I am dropping off today, because they are interested in interviewing me for a full-time position for the next school year. BUT, I won't be qualified to teach if I can't pass this exam. I NEED to pass it this week. No, I haven't found a better (more current) study guide. I've just been using the advice of the helpful people from this site to try and come at studying this time around, from a different perspective. Last time, I spent a ton of time trying to learn author's and their works. Well, there were only a few questions on the exam pertaining to that, so I am spending a great deal more time this time studying the various teaching strategies and classroom scenarios.

29. Breeziibre

Breeziibre Rookie

May 24, 2016

I understand. Is there an email address where I can reach you? I may be able to help you a little. Maybe we can help each other!

30. Etta

Etta Rookie

May 24, 2016

YES! I'd love that. My email is seminoleetta@gmail.com

31. Breeziibre

Breeziibre Rookie

May 24, 2016

OK great! I'll email you now.

32. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

May 29, 2016

Hello Etta! I am taking the FTCE English 6-12 exam this Thursday. I am wondering how you did on your retake?

33. tamanna rumin

tamanna rumin Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Hi! I took the 6-12 three times and still haven't passed. Can I email you too and we can discuss skills that needs to be studied? Or you can email me. TamannaRumin at gmail dot com

34. Etta

Etta Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Absolutely! I emailed you, but just in case you didn't get it, my email address is seminoleetta@gmail.com.

35. AaE

AaE Guest

Jul 16, 2016

Hello everyone. I'm also new to this site, and just finished the MC of the English exam, which I didn't pass. I've read your thread, and as I'm late to the party, sent you all an email. Any feedback, tips of help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

36. Teach2Top

Teach2Top New Member

Aug 17, 2016

Hi guys, I'm new to the party. I obviously need help passing the MC English 6-12 exam. I've taken it twice and can't seem to pass it. My new strategy is to use outside tools to study. Has anyone ever participated in the score review? Is it worth the money? Thanks for your input.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2016

Score verification almost never results in a higher score, I'm afraid. What do your score reports say about where you're coming up short, and how are you generally as a test taker?

38. Teach2Top

Teach2Top New Member

Aug 21, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Generally, I have to study but do well on test. I passed the essay portion. I'm changing careers and the multiple choice part is kicking my tush. I've only used one study tool, but obviously must add on new methods. My highest score was 173. The last time I almost ran out of time, so I had to rush the last 10-13 questions. I've been reading the tips on the site and will try new tools.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2016

If the multiple choice questions are giving you grief, try working through Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day first. It's relatively cheap and readily accessible, and the skills transfer well.

40. jyotshna

jyotshna Rookie

Sep 18, 2016

I am planing to take this test in October. any help/suggestions. This is my first time taking the test.

Educator38 likes this.
  41. Educator38

Educator38 Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

How did your test go, Jyotshna?