Desperate for advice on a 3rd grader excessive talking

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by p_bugs_mom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. p_bugs_mom

p_bugs_mom New Member

Apr 29, 2008

I have a 3rd grader who is a straight A student, but is constantly getting in trouble for excessive talking in class. He has two teachers who email daily about him disrupting the lessons, his impulsiveness to yell out answers and his out bursts in the library. He learns very quickly, but does not allow other children to answer and the teachers are constantly stopping to correct his behavior. Any suggestions?

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

Whenever I hear about behavior problems with straight A students I first wonder if they are being appropriately challenged.

4. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Apr 29, 2008

Maybe you could talk to the teacher about this and try to come up with an appropriate task for him to do during the lesson. Maybe he could work on note taking or something similar? That way he feels that he is helping others out (or himself when it comes to studying) while staying occupied. Maybe make him have the notes signed off on every day by the teacher and yourself so you know he is doing it and if not you can create an appropriate consequence.

5. michèle500

michèle500 New Member

May 1, 2008

Some teachers say:"you must be quiet in order to respect the work of each other".Some teachers say: "you must be quiet in order to have good results".In the second case, if a student is very clever he doesn't need to be quiet...Perhaps the teachers of your son ignore him to prove that his attitude prejudices to his work. Your son feels despised and not recognized for his cleverness, so he tries more and more to show that he is an estimable person. I think that you have to speak with your 3rd grader in order to know how he feels and what he thinks. You can speak without hiding him what you think. But you must explain him that:
    -he can't get school problems just because his teachers are not ideal.
    -he has to use his cleverness to adapt and he must remain silent.
    -as you love him and worry about his future, if he doesn't make efforts you will have to deal severaly with him.
    You also have to speak with his teachers. You have to tell them that you are going to act but that you need their help: You have to ask them:
    -to give him a second chance
    -to increase his good standing
    -to let him involve during the class.
    Good courage.Only two months before Holidays.

6. JustT

JustT Comrade

May 1, 2008

Can he help it? I had a student one year who couldn't help blurt out the answer. He was litterally holding his mouth shut with both hands and he wasn't goofing around. That year, I had to rethink my questioning procedure. I had to direct a student first before asking a question, otherwise, "Bobby" couldn't resist.

It could also be a sign of something medical that a teacher shouldn't diagnose.

7. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 1, 2008

Try a reward system. I have this problem not only with my special education students during the day but with my piano students that I teach at night. Before I ask a question, I remind the student to not call out. I tell him that if he calls out he'll lose a certain priviledge. If he successfully stays quit then he'll gain a priviledge. This worked so well for me that this is no longer an issue.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2008

Good counsel, michèle500, and welcome to A to Z!