Desktop scanners...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Mar 12, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

Does anyone use one?? If so, what brand is it and how do you like it? I'm thinking of investing in one for school to help with my organization.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! :)

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 12, 2011

I have a HP deskjet F2210. I love it. It is a great combo with cheaper ink cart.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2011

We have 2 at school, one is Epson, one is Canon...they are both equally sufficient. I used to have a 3 in 1 at home too which was an Epson, but something went wrong with it and I never replaced it.

It is definitely helpful if you have a projector hooked up to your computer, this way you can project your worksheets, etc. (since overheads are pretty much obsolete these days)

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2011

I have one by Brother... I love it... I got it 50% off.

My main use for it is that when teaching French, I will often want to have the class read a book along with me, but there aren't enough copies to go around, so I can scan it, and then put it up on the smartboard for all to see... of course, we can circle sounds, find words as well... it works great.

I also love that if I need to make a copy, or print something off, I don't have to run down to the nearest printer. While it happens rarely, on occasion, I will run out of copies, and it's easy enough to just make a quick copy on my printer. I can also scan worksheets so that I can put them on the smartboard.

I love, love, love it!

6. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 12, 2011

I've used at least a dozen different scanners over the past 15 years. My favorite was a stand-alone model with sheet feeder; it was $499 and very fast. (It could scan dozens of pages in a few minutes, while most scanners took 30-60 seconds to scan a single page.) I probably scanned more than 10,000 pages with that device, over a two-year period.

Unfortunately, scanner (and printer) manufacturers refuse to provide updated device drivers for their products after they stop selling them, so when I upgraded to a newer version of Windows, I could no longer use that scanner at all. (I was angry at HP, but it's an industry-wide practice.)

I've had several "multifunction printers" (from several manufacturers) and all shared another absurd problem: they won't scan a page if there is any error condition (such as one ink color being empty). And oddly enough, even if you just use the device to scan, it drains the ink anyway.

FYI, Brother multifunction printers, which are often the cheapest to buy, tend to be the absolute most expensive to operate (the consumables cost more per page than any other manufacturer I've explored).

If you're planning to scan student work, you should definitely look carefully at scanning speed. (Don't trust the manufacturer's speed ratings estimates -- they're never accurate, and many "reviews" don't actually report on the actual scanning speed and sometimes just parrot the product specs without question.)

If you'll just scan one or a few pages at a time, then speed is less important. Some scanners require a multi-step process for every page (first "pre-scan" the page, select the area to scan, then scan the page), which slows things down significantly.

7. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

Thank you for the input and useful information!! :thumb: