Desks or Tables

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by CRD3, Aug 31, 2009.

1. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Do you use desks or tables in 1st grade? I am using desks but heard tables work well too. Let me know your ideas and what works? Thanks

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

I use tables. A teacher on my team uses desks. Tables work for me - I only have 17. I'm not so sure I'd like it if I had to sit 6 at a table. I like having 4 (5 at the most) at my rectangle tables.

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Aug 31, 2009

I have used desks for years, but this year I switched to tables and love it so far! I have my students share supplies as a community, so they only have a few things (prize pencils, bookmarks, positive reinforcement tickets, etc. in their supply boxes on the back of their chairs in pockets). No more stashes of 212 crayons or moldy old snacks hiding out in desks. In addition, no more distracted hands playing in desks. Yahoo. They still might be distracted, but at least I can tell why! :)

Also, moving to tables has given me lots more room. I always disliked the idea of having student desks as a center, but somehow I feel that having two of the four rectangle tables as centers is okay. I guess I feel that there is far less a chance of a kiddo going into someone else's supply box that is on the back of the chair than inside someone's desk.

Go for the tables!! :)

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I travel around..and teach in some rooms where the teacher has desks and tables. Tables are SO much better! like the previous person said...no desk monsters. lol

I also think it's just a great way to teach control in a different way. The supplies are right there all the time...and they learn to not dig through them...some always will. lol but for the most part I find they share and take turns better. They also have a bit more space to work, which for me is WAY helpful. But helpful for you..if you do any kind of games/group work. the bucket can easily be moved of group supplies to make more space.

Some of the first grade teachers I work with use velcro dots to hold down name tags..so if they can't leave it just pull it off and no more fingers messing with a name tag. Also great for messy stuff easily taken off for cleaning, and for moving kids around. The sticky from the velcro isn't any worse to clean up at the end of the year than tape.

6. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Thanks--great ideas on why to use tables!