Desks by the board or not?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.T, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Okay, I have another question! :rolleyes:

How important is it for you to have the students desks/tables where they can see the whiteboard/chalkboard? What do most of you do for lessons?

I like to have a large meeting area and have the desks around it. I usually teach lessons while the kids sit on the rug, then they go to their desks/groups to work independently. However, one of the specials teachers comes to the room and teaches here. She ONLY teaches from the board and makes the kids move their desks to be able to see from their desk. This drives me UP THE WALL!!! I can't decide whether to make my meeting area separate and just kind of give in and put the desks closer to the board, or say screw it and set it up how I want and cause a problem by telling her to not move my desks!!

Input? Suggestions? I want to know how you arrange things! Thanks! :p

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 28, 2007

Hmmmm. Well when I taught second grade most of my instruction at their seats. Only because I came in midyear and that's how they did it. They couldn't handle sitting on the floor.

However, I teach first grade now and most of my instruction is on the carpet with the easel. We have a projector which I use for a lot of modeling. I had that next to the tables and not the carpet.... so next year I want to put the projector screen next to the carpet. However, I do use the projector for some things while they are at their tables... so anyway... next year I want to try to figure it out so they can see it from their tables and the carpet. Phew.

4. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

after our school went through renovations, i had TWO whiteboards put in the class. one in the front and one in the back. our meeting place is in the back where we have room to spread out on the floor. that board is lower too so the students can write on the board. the desks are moved to the front and close to that whiteboard. i just need to remember not to write on the "back" board then send them back to their seats to do their work.

previously to that we had a tight floor space in the front of the room with desks on the perimeter. several students had difficulty seeing from their seat (because it was further away from the board) so they ended up doing their work on the floor. that was my set up for the previous 10 years so i had learned to live with it.

i like having meeting space on the floor where ALL of us (including me) sit on the floor and discuss different topics. it feels more cozy.

5. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

As professionals, we are able to see who needs to be "near the board" or "near the teacher", as long as we make sure we are meeting their needs, we should be able to do it our way. (Some kids learn better in the floor, or with distance from the board or the teacher.) To each his own. Know your students and go from there.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2007

I teach almost everything whole group from the floor. I have a low white board. Next year, after moving rooms, I will have one area that faces the board, and one that will be for the floor (with another board.)

When kids are looking at the board, I simply have them shift in their seats to see the board, or turn their chairs. I would not go through the hassle of moving desks for that teacher. She can have them turn to look at her. Sometimes kids will come close to the board with a clipboard, and that works also.

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

littleschool, I agree with you. I think they can turn, too. But she makes a HUGE deal about it. The most annoying part is when her time is up, she leaves and doesn't make them put their desks back. Then it takes me at least 10 minutes to get them all back to their tape marks on the floor. I think whatever I do, I am going to zip-tie my desk groups together, so if they move, it will be all in one unit. She will probably be mad!

8. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I totally missed that she was messing up your room. KEY WORD: YOUR room. I'd just tell the kids to turn and leave their desks so that they would be ready for the next lesson when she leaves. That is SOOOOO RUDE of her.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 28, 2007

Maybe to accomodate (though she's not being the grandest in consideration in that arena), make a horseshoe shape and have that face the board, still leaving a lot of sitting room in the middle. Have a discussion with her before school starts, too, telling her that this is the most conducive arrangement for you and you two will still try to work together as a team.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

I like the horseshoe idea.

I have a sort of face-off design going on. There's a center aisle and two bunches of desks facing each other. Each of the two sections has about 6 rows 3 or 4 deep. It works for me because I have the space and because it keeps me from being too far away from my students and it keeps them from hiding in the back. The center aisle leads to the white board, so students have to turn slightly in their desks, but none seem to mind very much.

Oh, and this design is great for large group games where we have two big teams (think boys against girls or something).

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

It is hard when people come in and disrupt what you have set up huh! Horseshoe set up has not worked for me in the past (when all the kids can see each other they seem to talk more), but I like the zip tie idea.

12. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

Ms. T, I love your idea of zip-ties! i would love to see her face the first time she tries to rearrange your room to her liking.

i agree, that is rude for her to rearrange your room without putting it back to the proper place before leaving. besides being time consuming, it is distracting and can get some students off onto other levels of energy that isn't needed in the classroom.

13. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

Does your district have a white board on wheels? If not, present her with a couple of chart tablets with a big bow on them at the beginning of the year and explain that you've zipped your desks together so they aren't readily moveable. It's your room --- she shouldn't cause a disruption for you. Granted, it's hard being a specials person and coming in to the room, but still.