desk skirt

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeachGrd1, Aug 3, 2005.

1. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

I decided that I want to make a desk skirt for my very unattractive classroom desk. Does anyone have directions on how to make one? There is another new teacher in my building that has one put on her desk, but I haven't seen her at school to ask how she did it. It appears to be hemmed on both ends and velcroed to the desk. I'm unsure if I need to put elastic in it to make it ruffle up like curtains. If anyone has directions, I'd love to see them! I did a search and I havent come up with anything.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2005

I made a sink skirt and imagine a desk skirt would be about the same. Here's sink skirt directions:
    Measuring tape
    Fabric for skirt (see instructions for yardage in step 1)
    Scissors
    Sewing machine
    Thread
    Hook-and-look tape to fit around sink (half sticky, half sew-on)

Instructions:
    1. Measure. To determine skirt depth, measure from the sink (desk)edge to the floor; add 4-1/2 inches for hems. Double or triple the sink (desk)-measure perimeter of desk top , or only the length of the sides you want covered- I'm thinking you'd want the chair part uncovered? perimeter measurement to determine the skirt's width.

2. Cut and hem. Cut the fabric to the required dimensions. If necessary, stitch together sections to get the full sink width. Hem bottom and sides.

3. Gather. Turn under a 2- to 3-inch-deep hem at top of skirt and stitch in place. Run gathering stitches along hemline; pull up gather to fit around sink.desk Stitch over gathers to hold. Turn under raw edges at sides and bottom of skirt 1/4 inch, then 1/2 inch, and hem.

4. Cut bias to fit over gathers. Fold under edges of bias strip and top stitch in place over gathering threads.I wouldn't do the bias part- just sew the VELCRO to the gathered stiches on right side of fabric and connect to VELCRO strip under desk edge. Sew or glue loop side of hook-and-loop tape on wrong side of fabric along hemline. Press onto sink.

Hope this helps!! :)

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

What a cute idea! I never thought of doing anything like that. Thanks for the tip.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2005

Thats cute-sounding. I tend to make mine snazzy with neat posters of animals, interesting paintings, magazine pics and my name so the kids know how to spell it.

6. danda

danda Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

What a great idea! I just bought some really cute school fabric at Wal-Mart and I am going to make a desk skirt with it. Thanks for the idea and the directions!

7. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Thanks for the directions! I took the easy way out and bought a very cute table cloth. I used magnets to attatch it. Then I covered the top with decorative contact paper, and put a smaller glass over it. Underneath I put pictures. It turned out pretty well. It completely brightens up the room.

8. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 7, 2005

I love to sew, but I haven't gotten my craft room organized since we moved. I used plastic tablecloths around my desk and a table. I found them at a party store. They have adhesive strips that you can attach to your desk. Word of advice, though...I used 2" clear tape to attach one to the table and used the adhesive strip to attach the one to my desk. I'll be using tape to secure both of them this year. My 2nd graders tended to pick at the one on my desk and it kept coming off. Started looking tacky there at the end of the year.