Desk name plates

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Do you use name plates?

1. I don't bother with name plates

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. My kids have only his or her name on the desk

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. My kids have a nameplate with a reference section (colors, multiplication table, etc.)

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

Do you use them? I have each year but this year I'm debating using them, mostly because some kids pick at them and last year it was a pain to have the kids cover their multiplication tables for each math test (they used a folder or book or whatever was handy to cover it.)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I don't use them. To me they are one more thing to ge distracted by. Also, I like to have my friends move around all day for different activities. I don't think you'll miss them.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

Mine have a 4" x 14" desk strip that has their name and reference materials. DH designed it for me years ago. It has both an upper case and lower case alphabet in D'Nealian cursive, a California map with a compass rose, and a check list for proofreading. I print them at home, laminate them, and stick them to the desks with a glue stick. I usually have to redo them once a year.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2011

Last year I bought the nice desktop helpers with letters, pictures, color words, etc. They were nice but were so big. This year I went with simple name plates with the alphabet and corresponding pictures.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

I have the name plates. I let the kids know early in the year that if they pick at them, I will not replace them. I use packing tape across the top and bottom, and rarely have issues with them coming off. My kids often use the ruler, cursive alphabet, and mulitplication table.

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I use them. On the first day of school they find their desks with their names on them. During the first week they personalize it with pictures of their favorite sport, activity, place and their family. When they are done I laminate them. For the most part they are proud of them and take care of them.

8. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Aug 8, 2011

This year I am using deskplates because my new team uses them (I am switching grades), but last year in 5th we just used colored sentence strips cut in half with their names and numbers on them. I think I need at least their name on them to remember where everyone sits, but the sentence strips worked well, were cheap, and looked so colorful in the room. The last part of the year I offered an incentive to keep them looking nice and every name plate except for one were perfect!

9. HeavenIsLoud

HeavenIsLoud Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I have used the nameplates with the reference section in the past when I had desk. This year we will have tables so I'm not going to use them. Like iheartrecess, my kids move around throughout the day so they won't have a permanent seat anyways.

10. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I use nameplates that have references on them. The kids really utilize them in third grade. I write their names on them, laminate them, and then I use velcro to put them down onto the desks. It works so nice when kids work around the room, multiplication tests, and when state testing comes around. :)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2011

I do use them, but only with their names. I have had issues with kids picking them off, but I am going to try COMrs. S's idea about the velcro. Genius!

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 8, 2011

Really Good Stuff has plastic ones with sticky backing--they lasted all year with no icky fraying/picking. :)

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2011

In years past, I have used the big ones with the "helpers" on them. This year I bought the kind with only a space for their name and the Zaner-Bloser print alphabet. In the additional "top" space on their desks, I plan to put a 100s chart (on the left) and a picture of that child (on the right). We use the 100s chart a lot, so that is practical. I change the desks around a lot, so the pics help my nonreaders (there are always 1 or 2) as well as subs know who sits where. During workstations, my kiddos move around, but they always have their own desks as kind of a "home base."

Oh, and I laminate them (before writing the names) and tape them to the desks with clear packing tape, although I have heard that clear Contact paper will work, also.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2011

I use them, and I used to tape them to the desks, but they got ripped and dirty by year's end. Plus that tape was HORRIBLE to try and remove!! My friend, who teaches the same grade as I, never tapes hers down. At first I thought that was crazy! But I did it last year and it was great! The kids eventually put them under their desks and only got them out when needed (rarely except for a few who needed the number line for Math). At the end of the year they took them home or threw them away and there was no mess! I do like having them the first couple weeks of school and when I need to move desks around.

15. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

My school provides desk plates and the adhesive sleeves, so I kind of have to use them. The only teachers that don't use them are the ones that have round tables instead of individual desks.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

We only have tables at my school and the with the size of them its hard to use nameplates, but I'm trying to figure out a way to do it this year so each child feels they have somewhat of a "personal space." There are a lot of things I like about having the tables but in 4th grade the kids reallyyy have this desire for their own space/desk.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 9, 2011

I use small nameplates that contain only their names. I laminate them and adhere them with velcro. I very rarely have to replace any throughout the school year. I don't use the large ones with references because the take up so much room, and all of the information can be found somewhere else in the classroom anyway.

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

I use these. The are fully adhesive (as opposed to only two strips of adhesive on some others) and I love them. They are expensive, but I've tried others and they just don't stay neat. Some kids will pick them, but I warn them early on that when they get messy they lose the multiplication chart and other references. Mostly the kids leave them alone.
    [​IMG]

19. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I've always used them. I think they can definitely add to your classroom decor and they're great for subs too! I once walked into a room that didn't have any nameplates and it seemed too bare for my tastes but to each his own.

20. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

I have two sets of name plates. I use one set from Sept.-Dec. and then Jan.-June because of the different information on them. My students use them all of the time. I tell my students if they play with them or ruin them, they do not get a new one until I change them over. Some play with them and others do not.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

I use the name plates just so the kids can find their desks, then I collect them and hold them until I move the kids again.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

This is SOOO true! I subbed for a few months last year before I got my job and in the classes that had nameplates I knew all of the kids' names well before lunch. There were one or two classes that didn't have nameplates and I struggled with names all day. I felt so much more comfortable/in control when I knew the kids names and I think it really helped me have a productive day in those classes.

23. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

I'm thinking of putting them on the back of their chairs this year. I'm a stickler on looks, and I just HATE how those nametags look come January, ugh. I always begin the year with them, but during our spring cleaning, I always have the kids rip them off because they look horrible.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

I use them...I laminate them and attach with wide clear tape.