Desk Name Plate Solutions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ms. yi, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I don't know about you but I am so tired of desk name plates that get curled, ripped, etc throughout the course of the year. Then I stumbled upon this little product: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/desktop+prop+and+park.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

My first thought was I can definitely see this getting knocked over a few times but then I saw that it comes with adhesive tape. What problems can you foresee with this method of desk labeling?

I'm over the packing tape but this is kinda pricey because I would need to buy four. Does anyone know what this thing is called if I wanted to find something similar?

Also, if I decide not to go with this product, what other ways could I attach name plates? I was thinking of using velcro possibly. Would love to hear your input. Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

A set of six is going to run you $14.99, you get a discount if you order more than 2 sets. Kind of pricy. Plus it doesn't come with the name plates...so sticking the name tags in the slot, aren't they still going to get curled (the kids are going to play with this!)

I laminate my name tags and tape down to desk with clear contact or wide clear packing tape. Velcro is another good idea- you could laminate the tags and then velcro so when kids change desks they could take their tags with them...

4. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I like the plastic sleeves that really good stuff has. They are cheaper at my local teacher store though. I tell my kids at the beginning of the year that they only get one, so if they are going to pick at it or rip it, they have to deal with it. Also, they come up super easy at the end of the year and don't leave residue behind!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

I saw those things too, Ms. Yi. I considered getting them until I remembered I had tables and I don't think it would be easy to remove them whenever we need a big flat space.

6. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

The clear shelf covering works great as well. You can cut it a little larger than the name plate and it holds nicely on the desk. It doesn't leave as much sticky residue when you remove it either. You can find it a WalMart and 1 roll usually covers the entire class. The kids can still peel it but as the other posters mention they only get 1 nameplate per year so if they peel it off oh well.

7. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

The problem with the kids peeling it is that it bothers me more than it does them. I think leaving them with a yucky name plate is more of a punishment to me =)

I've seen the plastic sleeves in other classrooms and one complaint teachers had was that it was pretty wrinkly and I think they're a little pricey too.

Has anyone used hot glue? How does that hold up?

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

I do not use any name tags on my desks. Yes, I make mistakes the first day with names, but by the 2nd day I have them down. I don't worry about substitutes coming in because our school uses the same ones over and over and they already know my students. What are the main objectives in everyone's use of name tags? Can I be persuaded to use them?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

I have name tags with number lines and cursive handwriting on them so it's a nice desktop resource for the kids. Also, when a kid is absent, I know quickly who is missing by looking at the tag rather than calling the roll...subs know the names of most of my kids but there are 6 sections of every grade level, about 20 kids in each class..so that's a lot of kids...a sub can know with a quick glance at the name tags that it's Mary who's absent or Jimmy who is late coming back from lunch...

10. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Last year I purchased the self adhesive name plates from ReallyGoodSTuff, but found I was constantly rewriting kids' names with sharpie.

Whether I use tape, the clear sticky pockets, or self adhesive I always tell the kids on the first day of school that our class is having a name tag contest. The kid with the best looking name tag (no picking, no coloring on it, etc) will get a surprise at the end of the year. At the end of the year right before I take off their name tags all the kids who have decent looking nametags usually get a little packet of m&m's or some years I've handed out a homework pass. It's worked great for me in past years!

11. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Ive used the double sided desktop helpers before. I have them laminated. I printed their name on one side and did cursive on the other. I then had them stuck to their desk with velcro. It works well, but you always have the kid who spins their tag on the velcro or is a constant ripper (like the pen clickers!!!) the sound gets annoying.

When I taught at a charter school, I just wrote their names on address labels and placed them on their area at the table, they were ripped off in a few days, but they're cheap enough to replace.

Id like to hear some other ideas! I bought the sleeves as well, so we'll see how they go!

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 27, 2010

When I clicked on the link it said it's out of stock anyway, so maybe that makes the decision easier?

13. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Haha good to know. I actually was looking to buy something similar from somewhere else but so far no luck in finding a good deal. I might try the velcro.

14. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

When I had tables, I just took a very large index card, folded it in half like a tent and wrote their names on it. They were cheap and easy to replace. I think it was the first year the kids didn't have brightly colored name plates and they really liked to doodle on the inside. Also it made table switches easy. =)

15. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I don't use name tags anymore, since I got new tables I just want to keep them as nice as possible.
    Here's what I did a few years ago that worked okay.
    I laminated the name tags. Then I put two pieces of fluffy back velcro on the desk. Last I put sticky back velcro on the name tags. I used to use contact paper, but that never stayed very long with 1st graders.:2cents:

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

I have never had any luck with name tags when I had desks or now that I have tables. :( What do you all think about putting smaller tags on the back of the chairs instead of on the table?? This way the students' seats are still labeled and they might forget to peel and play with the tags if they're on the back of the chair. Hehehe!!:whistle: Would this work?

17. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

I ordered those. I think they are on back order or something because they didn't come with the rest of the order. I'm super excited though because they will take up less space and most importantly, I love the pencil holder. I think this will help cut down on some of the keeping-track-of-pencil problems we have. Oh, plus, I am hoping they will hold up well enough that I can re-use them year to year.

18. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Every year I purchase the EZ Fit Desktop Helper Tapestrips from Really Good Stuff. They are huge individually cut pieces of tape that cover an entire name tag. If I remember correctly each pack comes with 30 tapestrips and runs you less than $10.

19. lovetoteachk

lovetoteachk New Member

Aug 6, 2010

I begin the year with the colorful duct tape for name tags. I don't know the kids yet, so I don't know if johnny and sally are going to get along or be too chatty, so the first week I observe behaviors and decide where to place the students for the second week when we really dive in. The duct tape is inexpensive, isn't too sticky to get off, and it sticks very well to the tables. They also know from the very first day that whoever keeps their tape nice and neat will get a brand new nametag next week! Last year I actually had students reminding other students to leave it alone so they could all have matching nametags! so cute!

20. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 6, 2010

Velcro dots! That's what I use and I love them. There are four in each corner. At the beginning of the year I show the students how to pull off their name tags. They can carry them to centers if they need the number line. Sometimes they want to know how to spell each other's names and borrow their name tags. PLUS when they try to pick at them, they just pop off instead of curling and peeling. I love, love, love using velcro dots! Or did you not pick up on that!

21. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I don't do name plates. It's just something for them to play with. Plus, my kids are always moving around throughout the day. Do you need them? Could you put the reference material on the wall or on a folder?

22. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

I absolutely and without a doubt SWEAR by these:

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/prod...xe+plastic+desktop+helpers.do?sortby=ourPicks

They're plastic and self-adhesive. I have purchased these from Really Good Stuff for the past 3 years. They're pricey... $1.00 each. You get a set of $30 for $29.99. I was very happy with them when I taught 1 and 2 and have already ordered my set for 3rd.

Not only do they rock because even your most determined kid can NOT peel them off without a tool but they come with tons of information. A hundreds chart, A-Z in manuscript or cursive or BOTH depending on the one your buy, solids/shapes information, colors, money, place value, etc!!!!!!!!

It really took me no time to carefully write each child's name and number on this name tag and then peel and stick on desks... No messing around with contact paper which was the norm at my school or packing tape.

If you buy these, helpful hint: While your most determined kid won't be able to peel the nametag off, he or she might be able to scrub off her name with a baby wipe and elbow grease. :)

Be sure to use a dark Sharpie brand marker. I found the "Industrial Strength" black sharpie worked best! You can find that Sharpie in most office stores or a hardware store. :)

Seriously these nametags have saved me LOTS of aggrivation, mostly my own sanity!!! :lol::lol:

23. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I'm gonna try it!!

Thanks guys for your ideas.

As far as whether I need them or not, I like to have them for two main reasons. One is for attendance. I can easily scan the room and look at the empty desks to see who's absent. And second, I like to move my students around at least every quarter and it takes me about a week to get used to the new setup.

24. MK2ndGrade

MK2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I have two classes throughout the day and I plan on laminating the desktop helpers with number lines, etc. and then leaving them blank on top of the desks (probably just attached with packing tape). I'm going to use word strips with their names attached to whichever side is facing out using magnetic bulldog clips. This works well with two classes because I can just move the clipped name for my second class to a different desk when I move seats and I don't have to worry about where I moved the kids desks in my first class (I hope that made sense).