Desk curtains

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iteach782, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Hi everyone! I was thinking about making curtains for one of my desks in my classroom. I have no clue as to how to go about doing this. Has anyone ever done something like this? If so, can you please explain how this is done? What do I need to buy? How do I attach the curtains to the desk?

Thanks!!!

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I don't have curtains, but I have a skirt. I have a Hawaiian theme so I went and bought a long raffia table skirt. It fits perfectly on three sides so the side with drawers is all open. I attached it to the desk with hot glue.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

If you wanted to use material you might try using regular curtains that you would use wth a curtain rod or searching for a pattern for making curtains. Instead of putting a rod in, thread a rope through the curtains, maybe one that you would use for laundry line. Ruffle the curtains on the rope and every few inches put a stitch that goes through the rope and the curtains to hold the ruffles in place. Hot glue the back of the curtains where the rope is to the edge of the desk.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

You want something called a sink skirt. I am having my mother make one for the desk that holds my laser printer. I believe she will thread elastic through the top and then I'll just pull it so it is tight enough to fit around the desk. I'll have it about 2" above the floor so it won't drag. I'm also going to have her make matching valances to go on my book case. Try googling "sink skirt" to see a picture of what I am trying to explain.

6. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I use sticky velcro- it sticks to the fabric and to the edge of the desk. I hem the fabric and cut it to floor length and it looks really good.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

Velcro is great for this!!! You could even make several and change them for the seasons. Post pics. when you get done.

8. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Oooh...thanks everyone! I'm for sure going to give this a try. Now, I need to figure out what sort of pattern I should go for.

9. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Check out some of the skirts that they use on tables at conferences - I think most of them use velcro. Something like this, although you probably won't want something disposable!

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I actually am using regular 24 inch tier curtains to cover up the sides of my computer/printer table. I was able to put them up with spring rods. The rods fit nice and tight between the table legs. Of course, it would depend how the table or desk is made. I am sure that spring rods wouldn't work on everything.

11. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I used a plastic table skirt this year in my classroom to cover all the computer cables. it worked great. iw anted to try it before I purchased material and all that. It was super easy, peal and stick. I got it at Smart and Final. That may be a CA store though.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I used velcro too.

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

If you can't use velcro, you could always try stickyback magnet..especially if the surface is metal. I've typically seen it in small rolls-I've gotten them anywhere from Walmart to a craft store.

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

Me three :lol:

15. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

If I were to use velcro, does that mean sewing would be involved? Would I have to sew the velcro pieces onto the fabric? Also, are we talking about small velcro pieces or one long velcro piece?

16. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

No sewing involved if you buy the no-sew kind. They can come in a roll or in small dots from what I've seen. You can buy the roll and just cut it in sections.

17. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

Last year I just took the fabric and hot glued it around my computer table. I took it off at the end of the year and just had to peel off the glue.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2009

I didn't use pleats on my skirt. I used a long piece of sticky velcro. No sewing.