Desk Apprentice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Andrea L, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

How many of you have purchased the Desk Apprentice from Staples? I saw a few of you saying you were going to purchase it. Have you used it yet? Do you like it, or does it clutter up your desk? I like the idea of having everything in one place, but I want some reviews on it first. I realize that I will have to keep it organized, but I think it might make it easier.
    :thanks:

3. glen

glen Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I have one- I love it!! Everything is in one spot. It is kind of big, though, and needs a little extra room to rotate. Could you put it on a strategically placed extra desk?

4. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

DITTO!!

5. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 30, 2008

they are really really huge...i've been trying to find a pic of the desk organizer i got last year........

6. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I love mine! In the file section I did a file for each child so it was quick and easy to file notes, etc. I kept most of my previous in desk stuff in it so I wasn't always looking for things. It made things a lot easier. It is large though so if you keep a lot of other things on your desk you may want something different.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Thank you for letting me know how large it is. I was wondering about that. Then again, it would have to be so that it could hold everything.

The only thing that I have on my desk is my computer. Everything else would go in the organizer. Maybe I'll go look at it at Staples when I'm out and about tomorrow.

Thanks again!

8. glen

glen Companion

Jul 30, 2008

If you go to check it out, it is just about the size of the box. If you imagine you have space to rotate the box, you should have space for the organizer.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

It holds a lot, but it is huge! I didn't have enough space to use it well last year; hopefully this year I can organize things a little differently.

10. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

This one says it is great for people who work in cubicles or small space.... It's what I've had on my list for a while now (just haven't gotten it yet) because I don't need the hanging file space inside as I have a different system that slides under my reading group table. (This will be on the filing cabinet beside my reading table as I won't have a desk.)

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...anizers_182163_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

11. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

That's the main thing on my Christmas list this year!

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I like the junior apprentice too. Thanks for showing me that!

13. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I have that one too, Ilovefirst! I found it to be a nice alternative to the Desk Apprentice. I just found the Desk apprentice to be way too big. I was afraid to buy it after seeing the box! It wouldn't even fit in the cart!

14. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Okay....I'm scared now! It wouldn't even fit in the cart? WOW...I think that might be a tad bit too big for the space I want it for.

15. glen

glen Companion

Jul 31, 2008

It's about 16 inches by 16 inches, maybe 18 x 18.

16. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Yeah. The Desk Apprentice was waaaaaaaaaaaay too big for me. Even if I was keeping my desk, I'm not sure it would have fit and been able to rotate. This one seems much more manageable. It's demensions 9"H x 11 5/8"W x 11 5/8"D
    Desk Apprentice demensions 11"H x 16"W x 16"D And remember it would still need room to rotate!

17. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Yes, I looked at the dimensions and actually got out the measuring tape to check how big it would be on my desk at home since I'm not able to get in the classroom. It didn't seem to bad at first, but I do have to admit I didn't think about the rotation (duh!). Anyhow...I will go look at the other one today.

18. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I like the smaller one better actually. Looks more attractive too

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

I bought one 2 years ago and did not use it. It took up 1/2 of desk. I ended up giving it away when I moved. The jr. one looks great though!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

Hmmm I have been wanting the Desk Apprentice for 2 years now, but I will also consider the Junior Apprentice and measure my desk first. I'll be getting one or the other. I just now saw the junior apprentice for the first time. Thanks for pointing it out.

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I ended up purchasing the smaller version. It's called spinworks. When I took the desk apprentice out of the box to look at it, I just couldn't imagine it on my desk. It is HUGE! Plus, it doesn't have much space to put smaller notepads/post-it notes/paper clips, etc. My friend was with me and also puchased one for her classroom as well. Thank you everyone for your suggestions/opinions/comments.

22. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I have been considering buying this, but know it'll turn into more of a pain than anything. It is way too big, first off, and I can easily see myself just using it as a dumping ground for things. It'd be more of a hassle than it's worth.

23. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I like the junior desk organizer. It seems like a good idea, especially for those teachers who have decided not to have their own desks too.

I just love all the little organizers and pencil cups and basically all school supplies! :)

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

The only thing I worry about is my student with sticky fingers. She will have easy access to my smaller items (paper clips, pens...).