Desired: Creative Ways of Teaching About Fractions, Decimals, Percents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

...Just curious. I have been in this unit since last month, and we are doing well enough, but I am wondering if you have any creative ideas to engage learners who are on all ends of the spectrum when it comes to understanding fractions.

I would like to suggest some creative methods for parents to use with their children at home, also, to keep reviewing the concepts.

Thanks in advance. :hugs:

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2012

I'm starting my fraction unit next week, and I have a huge mix of kids from advanced to .....well, five who seem to struggle with everything.

I was thinking that I would spend a day just playing with manipulatives. Making bead bracelets and describing them in fractions, bring in cup measures and rice, and doing some other things to just play, play, play.

Maybe you could create a list of things to do like that. I know that as a child, fractions were never a problem for me because I baked a lot with my mother. We were always doubling recipes for our huge family.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2012

We're studying fractions, decimals, ratios, percents, and unit rates. Friday we walked to our local grocery store and "shopped" for the best prices. The owners talked to us about how they mark items, how sales work, and percent off sales. one item we looked at was paper towels, so we (I) bought 4 different brands, and on Monday we're going to do an experiment on which towel is most absorbent, to see if it matches our findings of the best unit rate. If you can't go somewhere, maybe you can shop online.

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2012

I love, love Scholastic Study jams in math. They are short little videos that help with math concepts. The students really like them. They have films in science also.

We are still stuck in multiplication. My students are very low and I need them to understand the concrete first.

6. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Jan 22, 2012

I just learned a couple of fun ways to work on all 3 concepts (and connect them) and I'm so excited to use it in my classroom, though we won't be to fractions for a couple of weeks.

The first way is to have students use the pattern blocks (yellow hexagon, green triangle, etc) and introduce different parts as your whole then determine what half or thirds would be. You can do the same with percents or decimals- if the green triangle is 100%, what is the blue rhombus?

The other, very similar idea, is to do the same types of activities with tangram pieces; label one piece a whole (or 100%) and inquire about what other pieces would equal.

Definitely stick with as much concrete as you can, but make sure to have students record their findings which helps move to the symbolic understanding.