Desert rat wants to go home

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jen12, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 15, 2011

Well, I sent all of the paperwork off to the AZ DOE to attempt to get a reciprocal license. $69 for fingerprints then another $60 in application fees all so I can apply for jobs.

I grew up in Phoenix. I've been in So Cal longer than I actually lived in AZ at this point, but I'm so ready to go back for so many reasons...I guess if it's meant to be, it will work out and I'll find a job. Sadly, I think I may have started this process too late since school starts there in August, not Sept like here in SoCal. If I have to wait another whole year, before I see any career movement, I don't know what I'll do. Deal with it, I guess.

I don't mind doing my time subbing. However, two years seems like enough time, although I've spoken to other subs who have done it much longer. I get compliments and call backs, so I know I'm good at it, despite the rather dim view many take of subs.

This credential-clearing thing is hanging over my head. I really don't know how that works if you change states, but I'll worry about all that when I must. Who would have ever thought it was so hard to just be a teacher? I don't mean that the actual job isn't hard. I'm referring to the market. It's so hard to actually become employed as a teacher!

I'm feeling very defeated. I'm not used to having so little control over things. All I can do is keep trying I guess.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2011

You've taken all the right steps so far! You're working on certification and making yourself ready for a job. There is still about a month left before the year starts...so you'll never know.

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 15, 2011

Good luck! I would still apply to school and just let them know your certification is pending with the state. That's what I did. The DOE told me that they are running about 6 weeks on certifications right now... But hopefully with school approaching they will pick it up. Just let them know you are just waiting on the state! Good luck!

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 16, 2011

I can completely relate to this!! I, too, am wanting to escape So Cal. I grew up in Nor Cal, and I am hoping to find a job up there! I wish you the best of luck!! :) I truly hope it works out for you!

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 16, 2011

It probably won't take much to get hired here. You could apply for jobs without an AZ license and then get it within a certain time frame. Very relaxed here and behind the times..... Lots of jobs in the district I used to work at.....

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 16, 2011

I hope you're right! I'm still trying to figure out the placement of the school districts in Phoenix. There are so many! It's not like out here in Orange County where each city has it's own district.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2011

In both states I've moved to, they could hire you with another state's certification. You just had to get certified in the current state in a certain amount of time. I got certified ahead of time here in Hawaii and had a lot of interviews because most people don't get certified before trying to find a job here.