Describe Your Favorite Teacher/Professor?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, May 11, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2011

OK guys, so WHO was your favorite teacher/professor when you were in school?

Honestly, I don't really have a profound favorite or one who was an inspiration to my life, but there are many I definitely liked more than others. I liked my 1st & 2nd gr teachers, esp my 2nd gr one. She was very kind & patient.

Then, when I was an undergrad, I had a psych professor who was the only prof I talked to outside of class in her ofc. She was very helpful to me along the way.

Then, when I was in grad school, my academic advisor/professor was really helpful to me. I have countless emails when we've contacted ea other back & forth & there were quite a few visits I md to her ofc where she guided me. Strangely, she never wrote me a letter of rec like she once said she'd do.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2011

I've had GREAT professors.
    Some of the more memorable ones ....

- My "Writing about Lit" professor that I had last semester. We clicked on so many levels and she was hilarious to boot.

- My "Ed Philosophy" professor was so dreamy that I couldn't make eye contact with him without blushing ... and, he was a great instructor.

- My mentor professor from my Behavior Analysis days ... we became lifelong friends.

- My "Principles of Teaching" instructor ... made me feel very confident that I was going to be successful in the classroom.

- My English III teacher ... the reason I am an English teacher today.

4. nontradguy

nontradguy Rookie

May 11, 2011

I've had a few, honestly.

My first one was my 9th grade biology teacher. I've always been interested in biology, but she really lit a fire in me to study it more.

My writing 101 and 102 teacher was amazing. He made me not hate writing so much. haha. We're still friends today, too.

Probably the best teacher I ever had, though, was my first college anatomy/physiology teacher. I learned so much in that class that I got a 108% in the class. Best grade I ever got... She and I are also still friends. haha.

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

May 11, 2011

I have to start out with the one I hated the most, a guy who liked me.

Chemistry, high school. He would hand the class packets of single-spaced notes, double sided, at least a couple a week, that we had to copy into our notebooks for the majority of our grade. By hand mind you, no typing allowed. My fingers had the worst writing blisters ever at the end of that year. I think it's safe for you to assume, I didn't care to nor did I take the elective chemistry courses (small rural school, one chem teacher). I'm not sure if there are limits on how much you can make students write, but if there is such a limit - he definitely broke it. He didn't give good lectures either, and the experiments were rather lame and infrequent.

Favorite on the other hand would have to be a professor from college in a business course. His name could be interchanged with a common saying, and you bet he used that every time he could. Straight up the most hilarious, well-informed guy I've ever met. When he lectured there was always funny slides, and this might be lame to some people, but he would have fart sounds in the presentation during extensively boring sections to break the monotonous nature of it all. He made it a course requirement for everyone to give valid feedback on assignments, and that really helped for understanding. An all around great guy. I sure miss going to his class, and I hope when I'm teaching I can bring the more appropriate sides of his style to my classroom (though I have to admit, it won't come close to the explicit nature of a university class).

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 11, 2011

I've had a few great teachers, but two especially come to mind...

My 5th grade teacher was my favorite in elementary school. She was just very calm and patient. Her class always felt so safe. She also had very high expectations, which I loved.

My favorite professor is one I have right now for one of my master's classes (educational research), and had for a credential class (reading) last semester. She is just fantastic - high expectations, very open to communicating with us, and extremely encouraging. This semester we were working on a really challenging research paper and she kept writing us encouraging e-mails. She's just amazing. :)

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 11, 2011

In high school...

My AP US history and AP Econ teacher. Although I've always loved history, he was the first teacher to show us that it was truly more than rattling off facts. He had worthwhile projects, pushed us to think, and would go out of his way to make sure we understood. The biggest thing was that it was so easy for us to see how much he loved his subject matter and how much he loved teaching. We could see how much work he put into his job. He also treated us as adults, which is huge when you are a junior and senior in high school.

College..

My one history professor who was also my academic and thesis adviser in college. We knew exactly what to expect from her, she had tough, but realistic expectations for us. She was very blunt in her lectures, which led them to be rather funny at times. She was also the only history professor I had that honestly respected my decision to be a teacher instead of going into research or archival work. She didn't try to change my mind and still held me to the same expectations as everyone else, and would let me incorporate my interest in education wherever I could. She also helped me improve my writing by leaps and bounds by being honest with me and giving me specific suggestions, but not being personally offended when I would choose something else.

8. bros

bros Phenom

May 11, 2011

First one on my list would be Mrs. S, my teacher in the multiply handicapped room when I was in it K through 2. She was just amazing.

Second on my list would be 8th grade math teacher, even though I didn't understand the material, he at least made it fun.

Third I would put my 9th grade earth science teacher/11th grade biology teacher, Mr. S. He was just entertaining, taught science in a non-monotonous manner.

Fourth, I would put Ms. B, my 10th grade US History teacher/12th Grade AP Euro teacher. She taught class very interestingly.

Fifth, I would probably put Dr. R, a professor I had for a few history classes at my CC. He was excellent.

9. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

May 11, 2011

My fourth grade teacher was ah-mazing. He was so creative and thought of awesome out-of-the-box lessons.

One lesson that I remember we did had to do with archeology. We had these large planters at our school that he dug up and sectioned off. He buried items in each sectioned off square and we worked in partners to dig up the items like archeologists. We had different tools to use like a real archeologist did.

I struggled a lot with math in fourth grade and he was so patient and worked with me all the time to help me understand. To this day my mom says he is the best teacher I had.

He moved at the end of the year and we never heard anything else from him, which is too bad because he was awesome.

10. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 12, 2011

I've had a lot

I've had a lot of wonderful teachers over the years--guess that's why I'm one today.

Elementary school - 2nd grade

Mrs. H was the most awesome teacher in the world. She allowed me to read anything I wanted whenever I had free time.

High School - AP Lit/Chorus/Theatre

Mrs. K, my AP Lit teacher - the best ever. I still remember the day we started Dante's Inferno, she came to class dressed as the Devil. It was so cool! She expected so much of us, and didn't allow us to fail ourselves.

Mr. D, my chorus teacher - so cool, spent every waking moment helping us

Mr. C, my theatre teacher - taught me so much, gave me my true passion

College -

Prof. C.- my wacky Latin professor. So cool, although I couldn't do Latin to save my life.

Prof. H. - my theatre professor/advisor, totally cool.

Grad School -

Prof. G - introduced me to postmodern literature, totally awesome
    Prof. F - looked like Mark Twain on pot! Totally funny!

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 12, 2011

Mrs. H. High school biology, advanced biology, and chemistry. Love her. Still.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 12, 2011

It's funny, me being in elementary... I don't really remember much about my elementary teachers, except that I remember they were all very nice. I think my favorite teacher as a kid was my 6th grade homeroom teacher, because I happened to have her for 7th and 8th too. She wasn't so nice--I don't know how many times I wrote the phrase, "I must learn to accept my responsibilities." but I know it was enough for me to remember it to this day. :p She also had a resemblance to my mom... anyway, she was probably my favorite teacher as a kid.

My new favorite was my faculty advisor in my credentialing program. She is older, but she and I had a nice rapport. She was cool, and wasn't a stickler (in the negative sense). She gave me great guidance, and I just remember learning a lot from her... to the point of thinking, "Wow, she's probably the best teacher I ever had."

Anyway, those are my two.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2011

Oh, I must mention my cooperative teacher one qtr when I was student teaching toward my special ed credential. This lady was one-of-a-kind & truly special. She was always kind, patient, & geniunely cared about my success! If everyone could be like her, the world would be a superb place!

14. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

May 16, 2011

I absolutely fell in love with all of my teachers!! It was very seldom I did not like one. I had this teacher in third grade, she was the best. She had fun and exciting lesson plans, and made higher-level connections with work. She is the one who turned me on to writing and really got me going on it. She is one of the reasons I write so well and passionately today, and one of the reasons I am majoring in enlish.
    My second is my high school english teacher from feshman and sophomore years. She was really somethin', a woman with so much personality, sasaphras, pizzaz, and unique ways you couldn't find another like her! She is a humanities teacher, and taught me a lot with writing and in-depth thinking. She also makes me a better writer everyday, and motivates me to become a teacher. She meant the world to me back then, and I hope that if we are to cross paths again teaching one day, that we would share fond moments in laughter.

15. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 16, 2011

Ms. Perez was my sixth grade social studies teacher.. then she was my 7th grade social studies teacher. Eventually she followed our class to high school. I need to write her a note from school tomorrow.

I remember her class being so much fun, and I HATED history! My friends and I would always pull pranks on her, and she gave it right back. She divided the class up into teams at the beginning of the year and there was always some sort of competition going on.

What a neat thread <3

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 16, 2011

K-12 School Teachers

1st Grade — As old school as old school can get. Paddle ya in a second! She taught not only me and my siblings, but my mother as well, and her mother. So she was old and old school. Why I love her, I can't quite pinpoint. If I'm being honest, it was probably more the magic of school at the time and less her, but she nevertheless represents a happy school experience. (I obviously never got the paddle.) :p

2nd Grade — Again, old school. She is a true lady, one of the very few in my life. I loved her for many reasons, one because she was such a different type of woman and I was in awe of her, two because of how much she involved her students in her life outside of school. She was always willing to have them over to her home as rewards, take us special places... Love her.

I hate lots of good teachers! The ones who were not good were my kindergarten teacher, third grade teacher (yikes!), and my algebra teacher. A few fall into the iffy category, including a seventh grade teacher (the snob). But most were pretty great in their own ways.

College Professors

Public Speaking — She took a class which made me sweat with nervousness and allowed it to be something I was fairly comfortable with. I actually had the hghest GPA in the class at the end (which she announced to the whole class—this was one of my very few face-to-face courses in college), and if you really knew me you would know that has to say something about her, not so much me or my performance. She made it possible for me to not only survive a class I wasn't sure I could, but do well in it. She was young but had a very motherly, soothing way about her.

I only had a few complete duds in college, which over three complete programs isn't terrible. Several were just so-so...did the minimum required. I have many more who stand-out, but the public speaking would be the brightest.

17. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

May 16, 2011

My Third grade teacher was the first teacher I really remembered, and really liked. She greeted us at the door every day, and lined us up and gave us a kiss on the cheek as we left every day (Imagine that happening today!) The boys always rubbed it off, but she just said they were not rubbing it off, but rubbing it in. I just remember that she seemed to care so much about her students. She was the first teacher to recommend that I enter the GATE program, and followed through the next year. I only went to that school because my parents divorced, and we were living with my grandma for about a year. When my mother got back on her feet and I moved away in the fourth grade, she sent my mother a note wishing her luck in the future, and expressing her disappointment that she would not get the opportunity to teach my little sister. I always remembered that.

In college, I had a few really great professors. My Sociology professor was the first teacher to really, really challenge us. She was a first year teacher, and we were her very first class after she graduated from grad school. She later admitted that she went home every week wondering what she would have us do the following week because we finished the work she assigned so quickly.

My undergrad advisor was great, and was the only reason why I went to grad school. If it wasn't for him, there is no way I would have qualified for grad school. Five years later, we still meet for beers and pizza every now and then, just like we did when we were undergrads and he was our professor.

I have a graduate professor who is great, and really challenges us. She has pretty high standards, but she makes sure we learn as much as possible. She never accepts our BS, and makes us strive to do our best. I'll miss her when I graduate in about a month or so.

18. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 17, 2011

I've been very lucky- I had a number of teachers who really impacted my life and career :)

Mr. L- he was actually my principal in elementary school, but he was the one who encouraged me to "come out of my shell" and take pride in my talents

Mrs. S- she was always really friendly and encouraging (plus she used to give us sour gum balls when we aced her quizzes and did homework)

Mrs. B- helped me understand math and actually enjoy it