Describe Your Best Bulletin Board Ever!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011

I have a few that I'm pretty proud of...but I think my best (and I wish I had taken a picture :eek:) would have to be the one I did during Winter holidays...the kids are "nestled" in their beds dreaming of Christmas! Too cute! I think I got the idea from one of the Teacher magazines.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2011

Was there any academic work or did it just look cute? Like did they write about their dreams-or illustrate if you are a younger grade?

I always get compliments on my bulletin boards...but I think its more about the projects and the resources available to me to make the students work look fantastic (like adding pictures which is of course cute, and the students being able to print their work in color)

Actually, a favorite from before I was in the library was "Flip Flopping" out of 4th grade....I cut flip flops out of construction paper, including the straps- and students wrote on one flip flop their favorite 4th grade memory and on the other, what they are looking forward to for 5th grade....I saw an example on the internet with actual pedicure flip flops-the foam disposable ones, but I didn't want to spend the 50cents a kid just for the bulletin board

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

As a teacher of an after-school program years ago, I had a pretty awesome space-themed bulletin board. For the background I used tin foil...I wrinkled it heavily, then flattened it out (of course not entirely), and then stapled it shiny side up. I loved it and was pretty proud of the unique look I created.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011

Hmmm.....I have favorites every year but this year's was also a space theme. We spatter painted a black background to look like the Milky Way. We created paper mache balloons and painted them with metallic paints to look like planets and hung them up on the background. It took us several days but it was worth it. The kids "wrote" in their journals where they would go in a space ship.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

It's hard to remember many of them, but this one made it into Mailbox magazine:

Title: Swing Into Spring
    Make a swing hanging by real rope, cut the seat out of wood-designed contact paper, hang from a tree made of brown paper with some kind of cute leaves. Add flowers made from coffee filters colored with markers then dipped in water.

7. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jun 6, 2011

Ok, this is one I use at Christmas every few years. A black background with a single red circle about 3 or 4 inches in diameter along with the title "Rudolph, At Night". Very easy to put up, and gets lots of giggles and groans. :)

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

We did something similar for our door decorating contest last year--but I think I put "Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?" or maybe "One foggy Christmas eve". We used a pom-pom for the nose. (And we did win!)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

I had some REAALY cute ones when I taught kinder. They always went along with our themed unit and always had something educational along with it.

1). Farm- I painted a nice sized barn and each student chose a particular farm animal to paint (directed draw). Then, they wrote in little speech bubbles, "The cow says moo", "This little chicken says cluck-cluck", etc.

2) Bee- our summer county fair theme was bees and so we got a free kit from the fair to make a bee tree. So, not QUITE a BB, but the tree stood in our classroom before it made its way to the fair (I got $20 for doing this from the fair too!! :D). So, my kids had to make these cute little bees and hang them from the tree. I took it further and had them make speech bubbles. Inside the speech bubbles they had to share what they learned about the bees. I was the only teacher in the entire district who entered that did this!! The other teachers made the bees more cutesy, but I added an educational factor to it. :D

3) Kite- for our wind unit, our kids made kites, flew them on a windy day. I took a picture of each kid, printed them out at Costco. Each kid wrote about their experience flying a kite and we glued their picture on top, and mounted it next to their kite.

There were others, but these are the ones that stood out.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 6, 2011

Mine was on soil. We were studying soil types. I had each student bring in a snack-sized baggie of soil from their yard. I printed out a huge map of our district and attached yarn to each bag to show where it was collected. The kids loved that bb!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

LOL Picses, I remember you asking about that project!

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2011

I like the one that I've done now for two years. It's outside my door. Black fadeless paper, colorful border. Then I "puff paint" all of the kid's names in a graffiti kind of way...all using bright paint colors. I add some drawings to fill in the blank spaces, and presto finito!

It stays up all year and I just post stories, etc. on top of it.

During the last week of school, some of my girls had been drawing on a pieces of paper during a "game hour". When they brought it to me, it turns out they had created some fancy ways to write names of students that might be in my class next year.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 7, 2011

I did this, too! It's been up all year because I think my students would be highly offended if I took it down!

I don't do cute bulletin boards. All of my boards are for instructional purposes - not "decorations". I display students' work or post information students need.

14. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

My favorite board is where I put clear pockets up for each student with their name on it. Throughout the year I add writing samples to their pocket. When parents come they can easily see their child's growth and I don't have to mess with stapples and filing the papers away.

At the beginning and end of the year I give the same assignment. I tell them to write their name, draw and write about themselves. At the end of the year they made a cover for all of their writing and we stapled it all together. The students were amazed by how much better they could write and were surprised that they didn't have any writing on their page at the beginning of the year. They also had fun trying to read through what they had written when they were first reading. It was fun listening to them critique themselves.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

My favorite was when I took a pic of each child wearing sunglasses and posted all over the board with the heading, "Our Future's So Bright We Need Shades!" I got the idea online somewhere.

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 8, 2011

ok, so I am a high school teacher and BB do NOT come easy to me. I have two in my room that stay pretty much the same way all year long ~ boring ;).

Anyway, our high school has hallways based on student grades and students are assigned that hallway/locker for their four years of school. So, we keep the same kids in our hallway for four years. This year we got the new kids ~ freshman. There is a BB right in the front of the hall, so this year I decided I would try out my BB skills for the freshman. I did four this year

*first one was a Welcome BB ~ nothing really great
    *second one ~ getting better. It was titled "Fall into Freshman Activies." I had a large tree on the side, large leaves falling from the tree and on each leave was an activity like pep squad, different clubs. . . I thought it looked pretty good.
    *third one ~ way better I think. It was titled "Frosty Freshman Facts." I put lots of snowflakes with sayings such as "Get to know your counselor," "Study," etc .. . . also included cute snowmen. This one got me a nice note from my P and AP :)
    *last one ~ the best :) It was titled "RHS Freshman are Frog~tastic." I had lily pads, frogs for all the freshman teachers with sayings, from the Alg teacher "Freshman are plotting their future", Bio teacher, "Freshman have great DNA," Eng teacher, "Freshman are trekking an Odyssey. . .

So, I have created four BB and like my children I would have a hard time picking just one ;)

17. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 9, 2011

I'm a Special Education Teacher at an elementary school. My favorite bulletin board I created was for African American History Month. This year our school had a competition for the best board and my class won!

We created a Michael Jackson bulletin board. Using an overhead projector I traced a large drawing of MJ for the center of the board. My students each traced their hands and glittered them to represent his signature glove. We stapled those around the board. We had CD's shiny side up hung around the board along with some of his CD inserts from his actual albums.

The best part of the board was that we made it interactive. I used a Cheap Talk 4 communication device to program samples of popular Michael Jackson songs. There were 4 buttons so we had 4 songs (Man in the Mirror, ABC, Thriller, and Black or White). We labeled each button and velcroed the device on the wall next to the bulletin board. The students could walk by and push the song of their choice. It was a HUGE HIT!!! :) The kids are still talking about it. lol They knew all of his songs. :)

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2011

I've had several favorites... The one I got most comments about this year was titled "Almost There... Don't Quit Working Yet!"

The title was on a stylized highway traffic sign and on the bottom was "(school initials) exit 6 weeks". I changed the exit number each week and then each day. Our school mascot was in a sports car (once again stylized) on a road passing the sign.

19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2011

This is a large board in the hall outside my room. I also post student work there from time to time and in the holders that line the hall.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 14, 2011

There are huge boards in the hallway (10'X6') outside the classroom doors. I love to create really nice boards for back to school especially. One year I covered the board with jungle green paper. I found some brownish iridescent paper table clothes and cut them into long strips about 6'X12" and stapled them vertically to the green paper to make tree trunks. Then I twisted brown paper to create vines between the trees. I had monkey cut-outs and monkey border. I put one child's name on each monkey and stapled them all so they were swinging on the vines. The title of the board was "Swing on into ____th grade!" I know I added something to the bottom of the board in the way of grass, flowers, etc.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

I saw this one with a caption something like "It's fun to believe"