Describe the physical aspects of your ideal classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Dec 5, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 5, 2015

Having a few chatty boys in my class has gotten me thinking about a layout that I would like in my classroom.

Ideally...

I would like a large room with lots of natural light, tables for group work, and several library-style study carrels for quiet work spaces. Some of my kids work well in groups, and some of my kids have a hard time focusing if there's anything going on around them.

I'd also like a carpet area or comfortable seating area for whole-group lessons, as well as a kidney table to meet with kids in small groups.

If we're getting fancy... then I'd like alternative seating as well, such as couches and exercise bikes, for a variety of options.

So, what about you all?

3. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Dec 5, 2015

Let's see. I teach high school English. I'd love to have a large classroom, with desks for each student facing the front, computers lining the two side walls so I can easily monitor what they are doing, and a back area with some tables for group work and a few comfortable chairs for residing. My ideal classroom would be twice the size of what I have now!

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 5, 2015

Sounds like a nice classroom. You said a lot of natural light. While this sounds great, I know that it makes it very difficult to see our SMARTBOARD. This is difficult when showing a video clip or even presenting some information on the board. There is one teacher at her school who gets a ton of natural light in her room and she is not a happy camper as she struggles with her SMARTBOARD.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2015

I'm in a fairly new construction classroom. I have one full wall of windows that have the blinds inside each window so it just takes a twist of a dial to adjust the amount of light coming thru each window. I have LOTS of closets and some built in bookcases. A Smartboard, document camera, laptop and two desktops. We meet for whole group instruction at the carpet and student desks are arranged in table groups...I rearrange desks every few months. I have several areas in the room where I can confer with kids. There's not much I'd change. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 6, 2015

After the past four years... my perfect classroom has a mounted LCD projector. Anything else I can live without.

otterpop likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 6, 2015

Haha. You and me both.

The windows, I should add, would have blinds!

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 6, 2015

Just this year, I got a new room. It's HUGE with a mounted LCD projector, LOTS of lighting (and blinds), and TONS of storage. It's pretty darn close to my ideal lab. It will never happen, but I would love to have a kind of comfortable classroom as well, where the labs don't take place, but is a nice comfortable place to just be and work, with carpeting, maybe a couch or two, some bookshelves, and work tables for art or engineering activities.

After the time I spent in my last classroom though, I'll gladly keep what I have now.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 6, 2015

That sounds so nice! You are lucky!

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 6, 2015

For sure! It's a huge improvement from squeezing past student chairs, tripping over things, strange smells, and weird liquids oozing from my floors and heater. Also had huge cockroach problems and a mouse living in there.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2015

I find it interesting that a few are mentioning couches....I had a colleague who had a couch in her room for years. It took up a lot of space, became stained, created the need for a couch 'schedule', limited the flexibility f other furniture arrangement...it gave me the scheeves....I stay away from upholstery in classrooms!

otterpop likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 6, 2015

I think I'd want some kind of commercial upholstery, something that could be easily cleaned? I don't know what that would be but I'm sure that such things exist.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2015

Our custodians steam clean the classroom carpets every summer and vacuum them daily. They don't do the same for upholstered furniture brought from home (I think the colleague I mentioned was the last one to have a couch and she retired,as did the couch several years ago!) I'm not really sure that they power clean the 'hard' surfaces. Nothing against the custodians, but with a student population of just over 600, I'm happy my floors and the bathrooms/common areas are cleaned daily.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 6, 2015

Well, I really just want windows and natural light. I'm in my second year in a windowless classroom and it's harder for me this year than it was last year. I am really tired of the flourescents. BUT, we are moving to a brand new campus next year that is currently being built and will fulfill my window dream.

Other than that, I use flexible seating so - tables of different sizes and heights (preferably on wheels so group arrangements can be changed), different seating options - stools, chairs, hokki stools, beanbags, pillows, maybe some other types (I have most of those seating options now). Whiteboard paint on on the walls (we are getting this next year!) A whole group carpet area to teach mini lessons. Cubbies for student supplies since I use tables instead of desks. A library with LOTS of shelving and books.

I actually have most of that now, minus the different tables, which we are getting next year. This year I have regular tables that are all the same size.

About the couch thing - I have a futon in my classroom with a removable cover that can be taken home and machine washed. Works for me. It's also black, so it never looks dirty.