Describe how your class starts

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Rockguykev, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

I got into a discussion with some teachers last week about how our classes start each period. I'd be interested in seeing what people say before I list out my general day.

You can start it from whenever you feel like class begins.

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

Students come in, are supposed to read the board for general instructions, and they have a warm up -- usually a math minute, or a small problem to solve. After that, we go over the problem or the math minute, and start the rest of class. Class consists of lecture/note taking, or working on a problem together, to show the process of how to solve it. Occasionally it is just a work day, or testing.

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

FOr my music class we begin by setting up our instruments and tuning them. Once tuned we run through some songs the students know inside out for warm up. Then we work on newer songs. If I introduce them to new material, sometimes I will break up the horn section, the rhythm section, etc. or the string section, the wind section, etc.

For my psychology class I begin by following up on any homework questions. After that we start the day's lecture and more often than not I have some sort of activity to demonstrate the lecture material. For example, if we are going over various personality tests, I will give them personality tests and we will go over the results and how accurate we think they are and why.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 1, 2009

My class starts with me at the door welcoming my students as they come in. They come in , clear their desks, copy the homework and start the warm-up on the promethean board. Sometimes its a video clip, sometimes its questions or a journal prompt, sometimes its a picture to ponder. When the timer goes off, I say "good morning, __ period" and then we're rolling :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2009

I'm in a Catholic High School, where every class begins with a prayer.

Between periods I'm at the door, on door/hall supervision.

The bell rings. I say "OK, let's get started" and begin the Sign of the Cross and the Hail Mary.

Then I put a "Do Now" problem (or problems) up on the visualizer while I take attendance and check homework. We go over the Do Now, I review the homework, and I present the new material.

7. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

I stand in the hallway between classes and speak to the students as they pass by or enter my room. This is where I greet the class with something along the lines of "good morning boys and girls." This is the clue for the students to begin working on their daily geography question from the board. We briefly discuss the question of the day and move onto that days assignment.

Today they had 4 questions from their reading to answer to make sure that they have read and understand the material and then we moved onto a map. My classes are 45 minutes long and I try to give assignments that can be completed in that time period.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 1, 2009

I start off my going over the agenda and objectives that I have written on the board. Then we go into whatever is first on the agenda for the day.

I did a warm up question for a while, but it just didn't work great for me. I'm not sure why, but it just never ended up being the nice start to the period that I had hoped it would be. Starting with the agenda and objectives works well for me though for getting it all rolling so that's what I'm sticking with.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 1, 2009

I'm either at the door or circulating the room as they're coming in. They get out their homework and put it in a basket on my desk and get the bellringer activity (either a problem or a math puzzle) off my desk (or copy it off the board if it's there...I like to have it copied off because they keep a notebook of these problems). They do that while I take attendence and check homework for completion and hand it back out. We do a brief homework review, then launch into the day's lesson.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

I have a Bell Work assignment on the board. We have 3 tardy bells so once the 3rd bell rings, they know they need to be seated and working on the Bell Work. I walk around and stamp homework while they are working. Once I finish stamping homework, we pray (Catholic School) and then go over the Bell Work. I will then put the answers to the homework on the overhead or project them from my laptop. They correct and I take questions. We then begin with the daily lesson.

11. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 6, 2009

My students come in chatting and then after a jovial minute the bell rings. Students know to be in their seat when the bell rings or they are tardy. Then I say "let's get started" and we go on with the lesson...I have used warm-ups in the past, but it still pretty much went the same way as it does now.

12. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

I greet the students at the door while monitoring the hallway. Students enter and start working on bell work- usually 3 to 4 math problems. When the tardy bell rings, I take attendance and then the students put the answers on the board. After reviewing the problems, I begin the day's lesson.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

How many of you have the kids already working without you saying "ok let's start" or something to that effect?

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 9, 2009

After about the first 2 or 3 days of school, I do.
    They learn at the beginning of the year to check the board for class start procedures. Usually it is bell work, sometimes its getting a certain program up an ready on their laptop.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

I stand at the door and greet the kids; I have a warm-up on the board - either a journal entry or an editing sheet. They start working as soon as they enter the room (or if they were absent, they go straight to the binder and get their work). The amount of time after the bell generally depends on how many things I need to take care of (attendance, signing agendas, student issues) - but is never more than 5 minutes.

After I'm done with all of my crap, I tell them to put away the work and take whatever it is we're working on. They learn very quickly that the so-called "bell work" must be completed if they don't want calls home or detentions for talking in class :)

16. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Apr 21, 2009

What is the noise level like for all of this? I teach 8th grade Religion and Social Studies in the morning (same class -- 2hr block of time) and we start off with a journal and handwriting practice. They are just not quieting down to do it any more. In fact, they aren't quieting down to do much of anything any more...

When I go to the 6th grade room to teach Language Arts (90 min block) we start with silent reading (10 mins) and daily grammar editing (5 mins) and that works better, but sometimes I get the bad feeling it's thanks to their homeroom teacher who starts them reading before I get there...

How to I get back to having a quietly working class?

17. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

I greet them as they come in.

I either tell them to take a text book or do the "do now" which is usually a recap of the lesson or a motivational question.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

We have hall duty so I do stand in the hall speak with my students as they come it. I have a bell question on my backboard they begin when they come in. Bell questions are collected on Friday and I do grade them. Absent students check the binder for work they missed yesterday. Like chebrutta, I use this time for the "crap", attendance, ect . . . I always start with a recap of what we learned yesterday and how it will connect with today, spend a few minutes reviewing, explain our POD and get started.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

LA/FLNewbie ... Is there a way that you could have students do a written reader's response about their silent reading the day before, then move into the 10 minutes of reading? Maybe have a list of 5 reader's responses for them to choose 1, have them write a 3-5 sentence reader's response, turn it in and get out book.

20. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Apr 22, 2009

that is a really, really good idea...handles both issues of them not working quietly and maybe not really reading...they fill out "Book Review" forms when they finish a book, but it doesn't really hold them accountable...do you have suggestions for the reader's responses?

21. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

It could also be 'that time of year', they know that summer vacation is a month or less away. We are starting to experience that now-its getting warmer here in kentucky/ohio-no more snow and that fun winter stuff, green grass 80 degrees and sunshine. We all want out there!

22. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

I'm typically cleaning up after the previous class or getting things together for the next, I teach two different classes and a few of the periods flip flop between the two. We have a 1 min warning then the final bell. When that rings, I ask someone near the door to shut it. I take attendance, they chat/talk, I may say to them to get out their notes while I finish taking attendance-if we are doing notes. Bellwork doesn't ..work for me alot. Next year, I am going to implement writing the agenda each Monday, I have a write on poster that I put the weeks details and I've noticed many students are reading it and paying attention, so its a keeper-I'll just have them write it in their student planner next year. At the present, my global issues class has a bellwork/extra credit question on the board and many attempt to answer that.
    When I'm done with attendance, I'll say Okay folks, lets get started, everyone should have their notes out. Or I'll begin explaining the activity, ask them to get in groups, turn out the lights for the video.
    I'm rethinking alot of things for next year.

23. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

May 24, 2009

Because I only have 52 minutes to teach math, I have struggled with what to do in the beginning of the period.

One year, I had the unfinished notes up on the overhead and kids came in and had 5 minutes to copy them down so that they aren't writing everything down while I am teaching. It was ok, but there was no real learning or review in that.

Then, the next year, I would have a warm up on the overhead that kids would come in and do. That was good, but then I would have to spend time going over the warm-up. So I would spend a good ten minutes for that, which would only give me 42 minutes to teach everything. It also takes longer, because they have to have time to copy down the notes.

24. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 8, 2009

That's a good point..... Do you all correct your bell warmers? What are the expectations?

25. Limegirl

Limegirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

That's a good question. This will be my first year teaching, but I remember my algebra I teacher would put a bell ringer randomly and then collect it and give a bonus point if it was correct. I think that if you do a bell ringer, you should at least go over the answers with the students and maybe not collect it every time. That's what I'm planning to do this year for my math class.