Describe a reading lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vsimpkins, Aug 25, 2007.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I was interviewing for 5th grade teaching position and they asked to describe a reading lesson. I talked about going over vocabulary words, have students take a picture walk and discuss what they thought the story was about, what the problem is, setting is, etc. I would have the students read the story together with me the first day, the next day I would have them read to a partner, etc.

What should I have said?:confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

Why do you think what you said is wrong?

My school is a reading and writing workshop school so I would have spoken about the format of readng workshop, but that doesn't mean you were wrong. Did you do some research about how that school teaches reading?

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

No, I didn't do research on how they teach reading. Where would I locate that info?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

Sometimes on the school website or individual teacher webpages through the district site will have 'clues' about the teaching philosophy, materials used, literacy work. You could always call a ditrict prior to an interview and ask...

I still think your answer was ok though. Did you get the impression from the interviewer that you were going in the wrong direction?

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I didn't get the job. I was going to call the principal and ask her what I should do to improve my interview quesions? What is your opinion?

7. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I've been asked how I teach reading and I always go with the balanced literacy approach (well, because that's how I teach reading :)).
    Guided Reading
    Shared Reading
    Read Aloud
    Working With Words
    I don't know if any of this sounds familiar to you. I think your answer was fine, but maybe fitting it into these words would have made it better. Also, try to remember the age group you're dealing with. A picture walk may be a little young for 5th graders...but if you were working on "predicting" in your guided reading group it would be appropriate.
    I couldn't really figure out a good way to word my response. If this doesn't make sense I'm sure I can clarify if you have questions. "How do you teach reading?" and "How do you teach writing?" are two questions that are bound to come up in any elementary interview in my state, so it is good to have answers in mind. :)

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 27, 2007

i'm with czacza, why did you think your answer was wrong? but i can see how not getting the position may make you feel as though you did something wrong. but it could have been something else. or not you at all. =) well wishes in your continued search.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2007

I think that's a great idea. Shows a proactive mndset, the pirncipal will definitley look positively upon you for wanting to improve and may keep you in mind for the future.

10. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I agree with mitten. Some of what you said does seem too young for 5th grade. Next time I would also touch on No Child Left Behind and use words such as whole language along with balanced literacy. Keep your head up the next job that comes your way will be a better fit.

11. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I found this web site a helpful resourse for interview questions regarding reading. It gives examples and explains what things are.

http://www.toread.com/

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

Everything sounds fine to me too, but do you think you could have mentioned a narrower focus of the lesson? A picture walk, yes, would be more for K-2 but most importantly, maybe you could have mentioned having the students read silently. Thinking about 5th grade, they shouldn't be reading the story together with the teacher. They should be reading the story to themselves silently, then the teacher should ask comprehension questions or whatever the focus is for that lesson. Guided reading lessons should be driven by what that particular group needs help on. And maybe the next day, they continue reading the story (guessing it is a chapter book) and they can do some different reading work with that book (inferencing, visualizing, foreshadowing etc.)
    But you cannot go back and redo the interview. I say be proud of yourself. It's hard enough to get an interview so they obviously seen something in you to call you in.:) I hope this helps.

13. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Youngteacher226
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have taught primary mostly and upper grade subbing and a 5th grade class for 4 months. These students were reading at a 3rd grade level and I felt that they needed more help.

14. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Youngteacher226
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have taught primary mostly and upper grade subbing and a 5th grade class for 4 months. These students were reading at a 3rd grade level and I felt that they needed more help.