Depression???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 2, 2008

Anyone suffer from depression? It is always hard for me this time of year. I hate the medicine that the doctor gave me (I have tried three kinds--hated how all made me feel.) I am looking for ways with out medicine to help. Anyone have a way to make it better?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

How often do you see a therapist(not a psychiatrist)?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2008

I'm not a doctor, but I would think that if your doctor prescribed meds for your depression, you should probably take them. Depression is an imbalance of chemicals and hormones in your brain and body. Many people with diagnosed depression need meds to regulate those things. Psychotherapy is often used as a treatment in addition to medication.

How long do you take them before deciding to switch? Usually it takes at least 6 months for an anti-depressant to work the right way in your system.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

I hope noone misconstrues my question to mean don't see a psychiatrist. I am inquiring as to how much therapy mrachelle is receiving. Many times, psychiatrists, family doctors, general practitioners prescribe drugs w/out any therapy requirement, and they themselves aren't trained to do therapy. It happens way too often. Sometimes, people required meds. to regulate moods/emotions, but seeking a good therapist may create the behavior/thought changes needed to reduce and/or no longer require the need for medication.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2008

I suffer from depression, but have taken no meds for it. Normally I can handle it by myself, but my DH has had to help pull me out from it a time or two. Once insurance kicks in, I'll probably start seeing a doctor for it. I've noticed that its started to get worse.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 2, 2008

I am not on meds at the present time. I have been able to control things and been great for about three years. I have a hard time in the month of April each year because of all the stress this time of year and other family issues. I HATE the meds that I have taken in the past. I am not suicidal or in any way harmful to myself or others. I just am tired, run down, moody, fat(I bing eat at night, so there are no snacks in my home) and frustrated. I seem to do pretty well during the day, but in the evening as I become more tired, I am worse. In fact if you asked my peers and students if I was depressed, they would say no. I can keep it hidden from those that aren't close to me. My husband is more insightful and is very worried. I don't want to be unhealthy for my children. I do have an appointment for my counselor, but it is a few weeks away. Until then, I am looking for ideas to help. Please don't preach at me, I have dealt with this for years and most of the time I win. But lately, I am just tired of fighting. I want to just crawl into bed and cover my head, and cry. I know that it isn't the responsible thing to do, so I won't do it. I know I will probably have to go back on meds, but I want to try other things first. I just wanted to know if anyone had things that they did to help them cope during the most difficult times. Thanks! I don't want to be a downer.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 2, 2008

I suffer, and take no medication. I honestly don't know if I could bring myself to take it. It's bad though...cause it has reaked havoc on my relationship the past few months. Hopefully the new job will make things better...or help.
    I know people tell you to do things you enjoy...but I don't enjoy too much w/o spending a ton of money.
    Exercise has helped a bit. Maybe you could listen to your ipod and walk? It will be good for you, and maybe help to clear your head.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2008

I'm sorry that you're feeling that way, and I'm sorry if I came across as "preachy"... that wasn't my intent.

I guess I just see it like this: Depression has physical roots inside your body. Just like you can't tell your kidneys to work when they don't or make your hair grow faster or ask your broken femur to repair itself overnight, you can't make your brain and body produce the right types and amounts of chemicals and hormones. Because of that, you can't necessarily just will yourself to feel better. Feelings and emotions are based on the balance of chemicals and hormones in our bodies, so we need the right balance in order to feel the feelings we want.

Sometimes for some people medication is the right way to go.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 2, 2008

I take the meds. I tried to go off three different times over the years and it was awful. Other people can tell before I can. I'm not even going to bother trying again. Mine is chronic depression.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 3, 2008

Cassie is right - depression can be caused by a physical phenomenon. I had a very trusted doc who told me she believed ALL depression was caused by a problem with seratonin levels.

I had my first real long term depression after 2 miscarriages - my hormones were messed up for almost a year!! Once the doc put me on a low dose of meds, I was shocked - I felt like almost my "real" self within 3-4 DAYS! It was dramatic for me.

If you don't want to do meds, try acupuncture, massage, and yes, LOTS of exercise. Get some super uplifting music to listen to, walk a few miles a day, or go to the gym, or swim. This will really help. Cross everything off your list that is a downer - reading the newspapers, listening to the bad news, etc.

I absolutely feel for you - you described the feeling very well - crawling into bed and hiding. I really get what you are saying. Unfortunately, though more and more doctors are finding that depression is a physical thing that affects us emotionally, there is still this stigma about taking meds for depression. I will be here supporting you whatever you decide!!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

I could have written this post. I don't want to take medication... I can usually manage to get through a bout with the help of my hubby.

I don't think there is anything wrong with medication... it's just a choice I am making for me.

If you need support, you are not alone.

13. glenn

glenn Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

14. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Apr 3, 2008

15. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 4, 2008

Wow, actually, reading this thread has been theraputic. I have suffered for years, and I've been on meds, but I don't like the way they make me feel, or not feel. I have found that reading books about people who have gone through the same things have been helpful. Self reflection and prayer are a big one also. I have also started painting, which seems to help with motivation. I have a dear aunt who has seen me through some very tough times. Talking about it has been freeing as well. I just recently talked openly to my mom about it, and it has helped in many ways. Through this past Dec and Jan I was the worse I had ever been. It scares me to think that I may get back to that point, but through reading, prayer, talking and trying to enjoy life again.

I have also tried to just concentrate on one thing at a time, and start saying no to some things asked of me. I have not solved it completely, but all of these things have helped, and I hope they can help you too.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

Another great thing to do to help with depression, esp. since you feel it comes at a certain time of year, is to use those personal days and plan a getaway. Go to the sunniest place you can afford and just lie by the pool, no matter how white your thighs or how floppy your upper arms - no one cares! Go get some intense sunshine.

And those sun squares REALLY help!

17. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

This is seriously what helped me, swimming especially. Floating through the water, feeling weightless (because a lot of my depression comes from my weight as well), and getting my body moving really helps me out when I fight with my depression. Also being able to accomplish something, even if it's being able to swim one lap, when my world seems so chaotic really helps.

I don't know if it helps but I hope you can see by this thread that your not alone... look at all these people that are also suffering right along with you. :wub:

18. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

Oh I forgot to mention Yoga... buy some videos so you don't have to do it infront of anyone and relax... I suggest "Candlelight yoga" by Crunch Fitness.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

I am going to try the Candlelight Yoga - do you think it would help me with insomnia?

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 4, 2008

I just wanted to add my two cents. Depression usually has some physiological root, however, because various emotions and activities can cause changes in brain chemistry, many people with mild depression find that they can control it with things like excercise or "mind games". If you're one of those people, that's fantastic. Not only do you get the depression under control, but the exercise and positive self talk is good for you in many other ways.

As far as meds go, there are many of them, and they work in different ways. Even the same med at different doseages can cause dramatic changes in the way it makes you feel (or not feel). The RIGHT medication for any given patient is the one that allows him/her to experience the full range of human emotion without getting overwhelmed by any of them (that hiding under the covers feeling).

mrachelle, While seasonal depression is very real, many people who deal with it find the depression growing in severity and length as the years go by. Since you don't want to take meds, the advise to exersise or do yoga is something to think about. If you find that it doesn't help, or you find yourself sinking even lower, maybe you should talk to your doctor about a different medication than the one you were taking (and by different, I don't just mean a different drug, but a drug with a different mechanism).

It is NOT a crime to need anti-depressants, nor is it something to be ashamed of. I have gone around this block many times, and only since the birth of my children, did I finally admit that I needed to be on meds full time. Every so often I find the meds not working so well, so I go back to my doctor and we change it: either the dose or the med itself.

Good luck with everything, and feel better.

21. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

I would definately think so... there is also a "wake up" portion to the one that I bought that takes about 15 min and I love doing that to wake up and get me moving in the morning...

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

Yes, you have to work with a doc and esp. a pharmacist to get the right meds. I tried 4 in a row that were awful! The last one made me look and feel like a feral cat in the woods!! My husband came home from work, looked at me and said, "Did you take some medication?! What are you on?" With my sick sense of humor, that made me crack up! My eyes had a wild look. So in the face of depression, I got a good laugh. Sheesh.

The pharmacist clued me in as to why those 4 meds did not work - they all had 13 ingredients in common, and one of those was making me feel really yucky. We went to a different type of med.

I decided on medication because I was so far in the pit, and I really have a great life. I used the meds, then added in the exercise, etc., so I could gradually get off the meds. So far so good, we will have to see come next Nov. and Dec!

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2008

I am a firm believer in depression and sleep meds. If you need them then take them. I have a horomonal inbalance and just like any other disease, I take medicine to control it. It took 5 drugs to find one that agreed with me. I also stopped taking meds at some points because I thought nothing could help me. You really need to work with a good doctor to find something that works.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

I've suffered from depression since Jeannie was born almost 8 years ago now. I also don't like the meds, and dropped them. The thing that helped me the most was exercise. Last summer while Jeannie was at camp all day, I'd go to the Y. Just 30 minutes on the treadmill cleared my head unbelievably. Of course, homeschooling makes it hard to get in there now. I'd say exercise as much as you can.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2008

I, too, have suffered from depression for years. I am on meds and have seen a few therapists as needed. Besides seeing and talking to someone, I like to exercise, write (esp poems), and visit my mom's grave. Since she's one of the reasons I've been depressed (she died when I was 4 and I didn't start truly grieving until I was about 18), I've decided to take something that I let control me for so long and turn it into something positive...now I go to the cemetary and tell my mom all the latest things going on with me. It has been so theraputic for me. My bf is also great at supporting me through rough times...and I found another outlet with volunteering for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. :)