Depression... Stress... and Tired

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

That wasn't my quote, it was someone else's.

You didn't sound particularly kind yourself....

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2013

Look back at the posts, Rainbowbird: you'll find the phrase that Caesar quoted is in fact in your post. (Mr.history's phrasing was different, because his point was different.)

Your frustration is understandable, but that doesn't constitute an excuse for you to snipe at other members of this forum (and that is true quite irrespective of whether or not said members are my friends or anyone else's.)

3. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Bringing it back to CreativeTeachR, I am sorry about the job :( It just wasn't meant to be and doesn't seem like it was the best choice for you. I need to listen to my own words too when it comes to what is best, but I certainly know how easy it is to get frustrated when things don't exactly go how you want them to go.

4. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

CreativeTeachR- Totally know how you feel! I am in the same boat after looking for a teaching job four years now (only one interview). I just finished another round of applications to all the school districts in driving range from my home. I really think this will be my last ditch effort. If I get no response, it is probably time for me to move on. The application process in itself is very frustrating. Every district has a different applitrack system. Sometimes it takes a good two days to fill out one application. These applications ask for almost anything you can think of, and then require a nice 45 minute test.

I keep researching other careers and taking aptitude tests. The tests always come back as teacher for the number one field! At this point I could be a career counselor, since I have researched what seems like every career possible. Seriously thought about occupational therapy, nursing, art historian, psychology (school counseling), georgrapher, or dental hygentist. Everytime I start enrolling in classes I freeze up! So afriad to jump through all the hoops of another career field and take out the student loans, again, and end up unemployed when it it all said and done.

I guess that is the world we now live in. I keep applying to other non-teaching jobs also online and just can't seem to get an interview. It is really depressing! So much rejection can really get you down, way down. This website is so great for venting and getting advice from others. Sometimes it is just nice to know that others are going through the same thing as you!

5. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

:yeahthat:

6. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Totally feel you!!! Especially on the venting part..even though there are those who easily attack the ones that are venting.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

Hi Ga neighbor! I'm right there with you....looking for over three years now and no closer to a job. I've subbed full time in hopes of being considered and can't been get a look because I didn't grow up in our county and apparently don't know the right people. I wish I could career change, but at 38....I'm just too old.

8. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

I definitely don't think you are too old for a career change! I am 42 currently. My sister didn't become a nurse until her 40's. Now getting hired when you are older can be an issue. Schools in this area seem to hire young beauties. I moved from out of state to North Georgia six years ago. People aren't quite as friendly, open, and kind as they were in California. It's harder to make friends and network here. Though I really enjoy living here, I still don't feel like I fit in well.

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

Unfortunately, were still paying off my grad school loans ( and will be for a long time at this rate) so changing careers just isn't an option I can really consider.

I'm in North Ga too. Here in my county, it's either young beauties or people who grew up in our town who went to school with the many administrators who also grew up here. :(

10. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Don't be discouraged, things change all the time. Last year at this time I felt the same way. I had graduated college and done my student teaching, I spent the next year getting my master's and doing an internship, and then I was ready to job search and all I got was a classroom paraprofessional job (which turned out to be a great experience!) So then last year this time I was frustrated and getting ready for my 2nd year as a paraprofessional because I was having no luck. Then the teachers at the school started trying to lift my spirits-they said I was really good and the principal liked me because she liked that I was a certified para because I could sub if needed (low income district-hard to get subs) and the teachers said there were possibilities of teacher positions in the district in the upcoming year for me to apply to, so I decided to stick with it. Then in September a building substitute position opened up in my home district and I applied, interviewed, and started working there in October. Our school changed completely 2 months later and then in March I was offered a long term substitute position until the end of the year. After the school year I went back to applying for jobs, and then I got called with an offer allowing me to stay in the same school and even with most of the same kids from my long term assignment. Now as of Friday I signed a contract for my very first classroom. It's a 2nd grade 1 year LOA position.

Basically my point is, yes it was frustrating and yes I had to take baby steps, but I apparently took baby steps in the right direction and it paid off. Your chance will come too!

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

?

Have you tried to send your resume and cover letter to charter schools and private schools? You could also had fields to your certificate to make you more desirable. One thing I have been thinking about lately is getting going into speech language pathology. Those jobs are always in demand and you will still be teaching kids.

12. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Wow what a journey!! Congrats on your new job how great!!! I'm stilling hoping and praying for a miracle!! I hate not knowing... I've appled for paras jobs but no interviews...

13. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

Yes! Just last week I sent my resume & cover letter to two charter schools who where looking for teachers. I have also applied to many private schools.

I can't spend the money on any more additions to my certificate, until I get a teaching job. It's just too risky to take more student loans out without a job. I have thought of all the possibilities though: getting my Masters, going back to get a Bachelors of Eduacation, getting a gifted & reading endorsement, ect... I have a Bachelors in History and my teaching credential through the fifth year of study (in California). It costs me $20,000 to attend the program at University of Redlands for just for my credential. Then I moved out of state and in Georgia I needed another class to get certified which cost me another $3000.

My loans are currently paid off! Yeah! Very hard for me to consider taking on any more debt and college stress knowing there might still not be a teaching job in my future. It's too risky!

14. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

Unfortunately, you are correct. The economy in general, and education in particular, has radically changed in the past 10 or 15 years. I always feel like this site is in quite a bit of a time warp.

It IS largely a numbers game, and the massive numbers of applicants is why so many teachers are treated so poorly in the workplace.

15. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

There aren't enough jobs for all of the applicants, and as you should know, most of the hiring in education is political. You can do all of the right things and still not get a job because that job has been promised to somebody's spouse or somebody's kid.

Frankly, I don't believe anybody's claim that they've been offered a job every single time they've been interviewed. People can say anything on the internet. I don't believe it.

Even if you get a job and do all of the right things, you can be easily sacked.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

No one is denying it being a tough climate, tonysam. The advice was about presenting oneself to the best advantage during an interview...there are also plenty of threads here on the forums with great advice about polishing up cover letters and resumes. One cant control the economics/numbers issues of the hiring climate, but one can, and should, take control over what they can to the extent that they can...and that is how one packages, markets, and sells themselves.:2cents:
    Saying the members here don't understand or are in a time warp isnt productive. Good advice, help and support abounds here. Frustration is understood by this site's empathetic and caring members. Take it or leave what is offered, but don't denigrate those who have experience in job seeking and interviewing (both sides of the table) and are offering help.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 28, 2013

I'm sending you a PM.

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

I am happy for people in ideal teaching situations, but you're right, things are changing and not for the better. The legislation coming down in many states is not designed to improve education. It is designed to line people's pockets and /or win elections.

19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

We are saying virtually the same thing; the meaning is the same. Your argument is just not supported by what was typed by me or mrhistory.

I notice that certain people like to snipe, be rude when they feel like it, offer condescending advice and even insults, but if anyone dares to give them some of their own, oh, the horror!

I'm sorry but it's just really ridiculous to hear from people who continually brag about their interviewing skills and their claims that they get every job for which they interview--this is supposed to be helpful? They need to get into the current job market and then come back and give us a report. It is a whole different ball game.

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

It comes down to tone and delivery and being here long enough to see some patterns.

Yes, the market is tough everywhere, I think that's abundantly clear based on the experience of virtually every job hunter here.

And I and everyone else here ARE sucking it up. We keep picking ourselves up, trying again, trying to strike that note of optimism that doesn't cross over into into getting your hopes up too much; researching our schools, etc. etc.

My point is that is just gets to be insulting to be told we just need to polish ourselves and try a little harder. We know, we know what to do! Unless we are asking for specific advice, we probably don't need to be told what any college grad knows. Sometimes we just need to vent and get support. Not get this cursory advice to dress up and shine, for the love of God.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2013

I wish you luck.

22. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 29, 2013

:hugs: You're my hero.

23. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

The problem with this post is that the only thing you can do is polish yourself up and keep trying. Or not and remain unemployed. I guarantee that if you have a bad attitude you will not put in a good impression on interviews. There are a couple posters on this forum who talk bad about job hunting every time they post in this section and in the 2 job seasons I've been coming here there names are never on the job list. I"m not saying attitude is the only reason they didn't get hired but I bet its probably one of them. I know how hard the job market is I lived through it this year and now I'm moving 200 miles to my first teaching job and leaving my fiance to work in our home town until I can afford to support us both. I went though the anger and dissapointment and none of that lead to me getting hired. Being flexible, working on my interview skills, and having a good disposition did.

24. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I doubt anyone who has posted on this thread goes into interviews with a bad attitude! Everyone can put on their enthusiastic, happy, motivated teacher persona, look polished, and have all the right answers and still not get the job. This thread is talking about job seekers who have been looking for teaching jobs (sometimes for many years like me). They are venting frustrations, sharing experiences and seeking advice. Isn't that the purpose of this discussion?

25. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Wow so amazed at how many people posted on my thread :woot: so glad we have a space to share with people who understand the frustrations and heartache this time of year is for teachers without jobs!!! Every day I refresh my email at least every 5 minutes and look for jobs in 3 states and apply to everyone I can!!! I had a interview last Friday that I thought went really well... And I have one Wednesday!! My teacher friend said I am a interviewing queen... Yes I am but I just wish I could land a job!!! ASAP I am trying to think positive and I am praying every **** day!!! :confused:

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2013

Creative...sending you good thoughts on these interviews. :love:

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2013

Best of luck!

28. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

But we are doing that. We are all picking ourselves up and going in with a fresh start to every interview. I sincerely doubt that anyone who comes here to vent is showing a bad attitude about interviewing. That's the whole point of this forum-- an anonymous place to vent frustrations. And pretty much everyone who ends up on the job list has come here to vent at some point. I don't think there's anyone who hasn't felt the need to vent negative feelings and frustration. :dizzy:

29. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

It WILL happen. Just a matter of time now!!!!!

30. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

You're more than welcome. I know that you, like me and probably every other poster here, are professionals that any district would be proud to hire! Just gotta keep trying!

My husband reminded me that out of the 100 resumes he sent out in 1990, he was granted just ONE interview. Luckily, that one interview resulted in a job offer. He said that if they hadn't called him, it could have taken him years to find a job.

I was also surprised to hear my neighbor talking about the districts that had rejected her before she got her first job. She is a science teacher who had worked at NASA!!!! She had her share of rejections before landing a position. I had always assumed that because of her talent, impressive résumé, and general all-around amazing qualities, that she had no trouble at all finding a job. Just goes to show--you have to keep at it and eventually it will happen!

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 30, 2013

It can be the toughest thing to let your emotions and even your anger get the best of you in these situations. The best advice I can offer when looking back on my three year job search is to make sure to find a way to treat yourself well. This doesn't mean to go shopping every week, but definitely reward yourself mentally for your continued effort. Make a favorite dish or reread a book that you know makes you happy. The job search IS a job in itself. You've earned a treat!