Depression... Stress... and Tired

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Jul 22, 2013.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 22, 2013

As each passing day goes by I become more and more depressed and stressed... I am so tired physically, mentally and emotionally :mad: I am so tired of filling out applications and not knowing where the hell I am going to end up! I feel like a rubber band ready to snap! I am packing boxes and have no idea where we are moving!!! :( I'm sitting here feeling drained and I did nothing all day! Heck I woke up at 2!!! "sigh" This profession is so competitive and to be honest I just want to move home (long island) but I have not had ONE interview for that area!!! and then here in CT I can't pass the praxis math so I don't know what I'm going to do :help:

Sorry I needed to vent....

3. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I hear you! I took a job teaching summer school in an area closer to home bc I missed being close to my family. Thought teaching summer school would make me a stronger candidate and wanted the experience. Had an amazing 4 weeks and can't wait until next summer.

However, it has not helped. I signed a year lease thinking a FT job would come shortly after...nope. Now I'm working retail and will have no insurance starting August. Started applying to all sub positions that have opened up. I have applied to every open position I am certified for within an hour driving distance. Not one of them want to interview me.

Sorry for venting on your vent, but I can't vent to my best friend anymore because she just got a job. The kicker? In the area I moved to. That school district didn't even interview me. *sigh*

You will be in my thoughts that you find somewhere and someplace soon!:)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I'm so sorry, both of you. :( Can I make a gentle suggestion? Have you considered getting a job in a different area for awhile and then moving closer to home after you've gained experience?

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Math was not my strong suit either. Invest in a tutor. You need to pass this; otherwise, you will not get certified.

6. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Creativeteachr & breezymarie, I feel your pain! No one goes into teaching to have to literally fight for a job, but that's what it has become!

You start to become depressed and jaded, not good for your health or morale.

It wasn't like this 10 years ago, and I don't think anyone outside the profession really understands!

I just wanted to say that you are not alone! Try to stay positive and fill your time and head with other things.

Also, I'm not too sure moving is your best bet either! Look at where everyone in your position is posting from... I'm from IL, breezy is from WI, and you are from long island/CT.... This is a nationwide problem!

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2013

Hang in there. No, it was not like this 10 years ago. Try to ignore the people who breezily chirp that they have always been offered the job on every single interview they've ever gone on, etc. etc. I don't know why bragging about that on a job search board full of depressed people is supposed to be helpful.

It is a whole new world out there. I thought I'd step right back into teaching, never had a problem before finding a position. How naive I was. Know that we are all in the same boat. As someone posted recently, looking for a teaching job is like playing musical chairs, but they keep taking away chairs and adding players every year. The only way to win is to keep playing...sooner or later something will turn up!

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

You one what gets me p!$sed, is when you go through the trouble of applying, and the district doesn't even seem to consider it (i.e. open it). Here in CA, a large number of jobs is posted through edjoin. There is a place where you can check the status of your application. It lists: "District Viewed" and "Submitted" (and I think "Posting archived", which I assume just means the job closed and they dumped your application).

So I had this one application, where we had to answer a couple essay questions in adding to submitting the standard application/materials. After I did that, I even proceeded to drive a half-hour, strictly for the purpose of possibly handing my packet to someone in-person (which I did, at one out of three schools).

As far as I can tell, they didn't even look at my application ("Submitted"). That's respect for you right there.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

Creative...you've expressed feelings of sadness and depression in quite a few posts. I do hope that the encouragement here helps, but please consider talking to your doctor if you are showing signs of true depression.:hugs:

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 23, 2013

Keep your head up. I'm hoping that a job offer turns up soon.

11. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 23, 2013

Got another rejection email today :mad: for a job that would bring me back to my friends and family!!! I cried all day... The kicker is I really thought I had it ;( I'm trying so hard to be positive but my anxiety and worry is taking over... This has been the worst year and I can't seem to catch a break... I know we could have it much worse but right now we are really at rock bottom... Thank you everyone for their kind words and prayers :hugs:

12. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I am sorry., I remember that awful feeling. I live in a small town and jobs are very hard to come by. It took me four years of rejections before I was hired. Don't give up.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

:hugs: please find someone to talk to.

14. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

:hugs:

CreativeTeachR I'm from LI and its soo hard getting a job since there are so many cuts. It also seems you have to know someone for LI or just get very lucky. Have you tried the city? I know a lot of schools hiring in the city. What about private schools? This board is amazing to vent to and get advice but I do agree with czacza, do try and find someone to talk to. It may help with the anxiety and may help open some doors! :love:

15. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 24, 2013

That stinks, but at least your site has the option of showing if districts viewed or not. I'm guessing your edjoin is the same as my state's WECAN. There is not spot that shows if your application has been viewed or not (and most haven't shown the status as filled...just says closed). So I sit and stare, wondering if they even looked. So frustrating.

16. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Hang in there, CreativeTeachR. After a hurricane comes a rainbow.

17. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I really hope so because all these rejections are making me feel like I'm a bad teacher... My father thinks I'm not getting hired because I am a lesbian and I'm married to another women :unsure: my facebook is not my real name and I googled myself earlier and nothing really comes up... SO sad in this world that this still plays a factor!!!

On another note I have a interview at another inner city urban school on Friday at 4:00pm for Pre-K. and I've held onto the charter school job but with all the red flags I am REALLY scared of relying on them! I have to find out about my work hours, PAY, benefits NOTHING!! I've asked to meet with her a few times and have yet to have the chance... I know she was away for a week and just got back and has had a TON of meetings but my anxiety is kicking my butt and I hate the unknown!!! UGH and it's a brand new school as I've said in a earlier post!!! :dizzy:

18. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 24, 2013

Unless your in a very conservative area or your applying to religious schools I doubt your sexuality is holding you back. The only reason I think this is that there are a couple of other openly gay teachers on this forum in the north east and it doesn't seem to affect them. I just don't want you to think you have a strike against you before you even walk in the door because I really doubt this is holding you back!

This whole year I was a miserable person to be around. I graduated last may and couldn't find anything all year. I was stuck working the same crappy retail job I had in college with no prospect for a job. Then I find out in December that the job I did have was going out of business the first of February and that I wasn't going to be transfered to a new location. It was like fate because 2 weeks after we closed down I got called for an interview that turned out to be my job offer. Now I am moving 200miles (still same state though) to find a job.

I have never been depressed before in my life but I thought I was then. I honestly thought I was a failure and I was never going to get to teach. People told me the job market was tough but in my head I always thought that was for other people, not me. (I'm sure everyone think this). The only thing that made me feel better was to find a job. These last few months I feel better than I did before I even graduated and started looking.

You need to keep trying, the only thing that will make this situation better is to find a job. When I think about the last year I really think I wasted an entire year. I was bitter, I thought my life at 23 was over!(sounds crazy right?) Apparently joblessness can litterally make you nuts! The only regret I have about this whole situation was how much time I wasted worrying and being miserable. It didn't help me find a job and I probably almost lost some friends because of it(another year of this and I'm sure I would have). Try to keep your head up and keep looking, the summer isn't over yet!

19. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

Speaking as a conservative Christian, I would be extremely surprised if your sexual lifestyle played any role in your hiring. 1. How would they ever find out about it? 2. It's illegal. 3. Well, it's just plain WRONG. :) In today's world, I wouldn't think that would play any role unless (as mentioned) you were in a very conservative area of the country and/or applying for a religious school.

Keep the faith...and know that the right job WILL come along and you'll be an excellent teacher!

20. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I know where you are coming from, I applied for 4 years to every job in an hours travel and literally and usually did about 50 job postings a year. I worked for Head Start and it really pigeon holed me, I couldn't get an interview, and finally had a total break down this year. I cried and was generally ready to quit, I was very depressed.

I decided to apply everywhere in my state and relocate...even though I have no money and am going to be living on duct tape and prayers......... Out of 100 job postings (about 20 districts) I got 1 interview... but I love the school and was offered the job. I am not bragging I just want you guys to know it will happen just keep going. You just need one principal to be intrigued enough to interview you.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

It's not because of your sexuality (is dad accepting of your sexuality? Completely another issue, but he's NOT helping with your feelings of depression.:2cents:) teachers HAVE been fired for information and photos shared on social networks and courts have upheld those firings...you may want to check your sites for anything that could cause you a problem...even with changing your name, you can be found.

It's simply a very tough market...your resume and cover should be impeccable, when interviewing appearance DOES count so keep it professional and polished, and on an interview candidates who are relaxed, knowledgeable about school philosophies and culture, who are passionate and intelligent about their subject and kids, caring and flexible and who are able to paint a picture of themselves as a good fit for the school are the ones getting hired. Practice your interviewing skills. Sell yourself. Schools are looking for a 'total package'. Good luck to you on your upcoming interview!:love:

22. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 26, 2013

I can so relate. Decided to be a teacher when I was 50 years old. Had been downsized and it seemed like a good idea. I could not pass that math test! I finally went to the library and took every math book from the stacks that made sense , sat there and crammed for 4 days. Passed, thanks to short term memory capabilities. It took me forever to get a teaching job. Finally got one that I did not like, but it was a job. Landed a much better one later on.
    Please don't despair.

23. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

That's true, but many of us are exactly what you are describing and we are not all getting hired. You imply that if we could all simply be what you describe, we would have jobs. You DO have to present as described, but it's also a numbers game to some extent. There are too many people looking. I think Dressage Lady put it best when she described the hiring process from the school's perspective as "shooting fish in a barrel." It is no longer the best teacher who gets the job anymore. There are too many great people looking. Schools can hire exactly who they want to, right down to gender, age, experience, no experience, Ivy League, etc. etc. Shoot, my daughter's principal keeps hiring young girls with long brown hair straight out of college. Don't ask me why, but it's about four in a row now.

And why do you seem to assume that the OP isn't professional and polished? I'm sure she has the good sense to dress well and be well-groomed.

24. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

I agree, I think of myself as having the total package. I have a great resume, awesome references, great interviewing skills, dress very nicely, eloquent and passionate...When I was initially looking for positions during my internship (Nov. 2011) I went on two interviews and was offered both positions right away, I took one and cancelled all other interviews. 8 months later, despite having two blow-them-out-of-the-water interviews (panel members described that for one of the interviews), no offers even though several panel members had leaked that they were confident I'd be offered a position (there were several open). The difference? I'm 8 months pregnant this go around, not pregnant the last time (although would be pregnant about 3 weeks later :) ). I think that in my case, anybody reasonably qualified for the job would've beat me out because of my need to be out of school the first 2-3 months. So even if their interviews were not as good as mine, they still had quite the advantage over me. I think though, that it is probably more of what you are describing in the majority of cases, equally passionate and qualified candidates and it's more of a crap shoot on who gets the job.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

That is definitely something I'd be suspicious of, too.

I've never had to go on more than two interviews before to get a job offer. 12 years ago I beat out 200 applicants to get a job. My principal put this in my letter of reference, so I'm pretty sure it's true. That was my first interview after being out of education for a few years to work in the corporate world and then go back for my master's.

24 year ago, fresh out of college with a B.S. and no experience, I was hired on my second interview. I beat out 100 applicants for that job.

I say that not to brag,but to make a point:

Today, with 8 years of experience and glowing references, I am competing with anywhere from 500-1000 other applicants for many jobs. I keep being the runner-up (although I could have taken a position two years ago, but it wasnt right for me). I find it hard to believe that there is one single best teacher getting the jobs. I'm guessing that in a pool of 500, there would be dozens who would be fantastic, and many more who would be very good if given the chance to prove themselves.

It is a tougher market but I can't help but wonder if my age has something to do with it (I'm 46). I am told I look younger so maybe, maybe not.

All I know is that I'm sure getting tired of looking and "selling myself".

I think I have some small sense of how actors and actresses feel trying to get a part!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Give me a break. The OP has described herself as depressed, stressed and tired...just offering advice to put her best foot forward.
    I serve on a hiring committee for my district and have seen EVERYTHING from inappropriate dress, poor grammar, misspellings in cover letters and (gasp! In a TC workshop school) referring to Lucy Calkins on a resume as Lucy Cawkings ... A myriad of other filtering out missteps. I'm in NJ, where the market has ALWAYS been tough. Even more so now. Just offering advice. Take it or leave it. I know what gets people hired...and yes, it is a numbers game. So in addition to all my good advice, one need have that undefinable something that makes themselves stand out. Shine.
    Good luck to you.

27. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 26, 2013

I woke up to a horrible email... The principal for the new charter school I got hired for said she no longer wanted me! So now I am officially 100% without a job! A part of me didn't want it anyway it was very red flags and she NEVER wrote me back to questions i had the right to know!

I did have another interview today. I think it went very well! i am keeping my fingers crossed and just emailed my thank you letter out. I was in their for an hour! It is for a pre-K position which I want! The only other option I have is packing up and driving down to FL and praying to find a job their. I just got approved for a professional license for pre-k to 3 down there. My father lives their and my aunt and I would love to live in FL... but realistically they start school in a few weeks... however I will do just about anything right now! I really don't want to end up back in a day care center. This has been the worst year and this teaching economy is so unfair! My first masters was worse and now this! We want to start a family, but we can't do crap until I can find a **** career. I am sick of being depressed and full of anxiety!

28. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jul 26, 2013

you got hired, then fired before you started work? *i'm confused*

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Sending you positive vibes for this latest interview.

30. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 26, 2013

My own mother told me not too long ago that I am obviously the cause of failed interviews. She also told me I must be doing something wrong since no one wants me. Nice!! :( Like I don't already feel crappy enough about myself as it is after morning but rejections from every.single.interview.

31. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 26, 2013

Yep! It's a new charter school opening near me. I had no idea what the salary was, benefits anything! We also had to create the curriculum. It's a VERY long story but my grandfather passed the first week they met. I emailed her almost daily to touch base ect.. and then this past week I came home and she ignored my emails. i had no idea what lesson plans she wanted or what format she just left me out in the open. I sent her a lesson plan last night and woke up to an email this morning say she did not want me anymore. She was a really big bitch about it! :dunno:

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Some charters are sketchy, Creative. Keep plugging away!

33. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

Sorry, but I don't think you really understand. Based on your many, many posts about how we just need to shine, dress up, and put our best foot forward...as well as your posts about how you ALWAYS get the job, I rarely feel supported or encouraged by your posts. Which is why I don't always read them. They seem to be more about flattering yourself.

I think if you had to sit on the other side of the interviewing table, you'd find it a bit different than it was 10+ years ago.

34. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

All I got from czacza's post was that don't give up and keep trying your best. If you read 90% of the advice on this section of the forum its always the same. However if you look in the jobs post this advice has worked for 90 something people so far.

Some people really do need to be reminded that the resume and cover letter are your most important aspect of getting an interview. After that its all about the impression you make at the interview. I don't get what your disagreeing with.

The job market is tough everywhere, you really do have to suck it up and keep trying your best. Otherwise you will just keep getting upset, depressed, and stay jobless.

35. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

That is horrible. Just a really nasty way to do business. As hard as it may be to lose the job, I'm guessing it would have been even worse to work for them. :hugs:

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

I don't think that czacza has said that the only thing you need to do to be successful is come into an interview looking all shiny. I think she's been saying that those things (dressing well, looking professional, selling yourself) are absolute must-dos when looking for a job. There is a difference there. If you look sloppy or not put together, if your resume and cover letter are less than stellar or have typos, if you've got a bad or defeated attitude, you're not going to get the job no matter what. If you at least look the part, then you're not immediately out of the running. Of course you've got to have the skill, passion, and references to get the job, but you've also got to have the basics down and look like you want to be there.

Czacza has been a successful teacher for many years and knows a lot of stuff. You would be wise to listen to her advice instead of dismissing it outright.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Rainbow...you clearly are frustrated in the job search. I understand.

I responded to ONE post about my experience with interviews ( with the notation that it's been a while). I mentor new teachers, coach peers and serve on our hiring committee as well as a myriad of other leadership roles. I know what it's like and I'm offering advice based on what I've seen work. Take it or leave it. It may work for you or not...it's never a mistake to do any of the things I've advised.
    Again, good luck to you.

38. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

I haven't dismissed it outright, and as mrhistory pointed out, it's pretty much the same thing everyone says. I think the vast majority of posters on here are educated (obviously), professional, and intelligent. I think we all know what we have to do, including the OP. You can do it and be it over and over, and still not get hired. Sometimes it seems that there's an attitude of "if you would just do this and this, you'd get a job. She often points out that she has been offered every job she has interviewed for, the implication being, that if we could only be more like her, who is apparently practically perfect in nearly every way a la Mary Poppins, we'd have jobs, too.

Nice of you to stick up for your friend, though.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Done.

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

I think that you're being rude and dismissive. If you don't like what someone has to say, just ignore it. Beyond that, your argument is invalid. It's not fair to come down on one person for saying "pretty much the same thing everyone says". If you're going to lash out at anyone who tries to help you, you're going to find that no one wants to help you.

I wish you luck.

41. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

I have also mentored new teachers, supervised student teachers for a local university, and served on hiring committees. I've sat on lots of committees for various things at my schools. We're not all bumpkins here. And I know there are many teachers here who are job-hunting who doubtless have more impressive resumes than I do--who aren't getting jobs, either. I'm telling you it is a lot harder than you realize. I just don't think those who aren't going thru it really understand.

And yes I'm frustrated. It's almost freaking August for crying out loud. I'm tired of my freakish hobby of looking for a job every summer, I'd like to take up golf or mountain biking like normal people, instead....