depression and teaching, How do I cope at school?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacherld, Jul 30, 2015.

1. teacherld

teacherld Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

Hi!

I am going on my third year as a special education teacher and I have depression really bad. When I am home, I sleep for days at a time and won't eat anything. My fiance passed away a year ago.... and I haven't been able to cope with it.

when I am teaching my students, sometimes, I have to leave because I start crying and it's beginning to make me look unprofessional. It's uncontrollable, like little things trigger it. I don't want to sit at home, because it isn't healthy for me. Colleagues are beginning to notice, and I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 30, 2015

What does your doctor say? If you don't have a psychiatrist to help you through this, you need to get one quickly. If you have one, you need to make an appointment and tell him/her that treatment isn't working. That's my suggestion.

Depression doesn't go away on its own, and if you aren't careful, you could lose your job over it.

Make seeing a doctor your top priority right now.

Wishing you the best...

-Rain

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2015

I agree that you should see your doctor or a therapist to help you cope. Not only does you job possibly depend on you overcoming this, but I'm sure your overall quality of life would improve as well. Best wishes to you.

5. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jul 30, 2015

Definitely seek support and help from a professional if you haven't already. They will be able to help you come up with a plan of action.
    I think it is completely possible for you to be a wonderful teacher even while you are struggling with depression. Most kids understand what it is to feel deep emotional pain and you may find that you are able to reach your students even more effectively because of your experience.

I'm so sorry for your loss and for the pain that you are living with. I can't feel what you are feeling, but I do know the pain of a deep loss and I can only hope that you begin to heal soon.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2015

Seek help from a medical professional. Ask about medication and/or therapy.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2015

Ditto on getting help. Depression is so much more than just being sad, and it won't resolve on its own. I hate it when people say to just get over it, like it is something you can turn off and on. Successful treatment takes time and almost certainly medication at this point to start the healing. I would agree that if you are under a doctor's care, you must tell him that there is no improvement, and that your ability to do your job is putting your employment in true peril.

Best of luck.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2015

To what Rain, bella, missw, Caesar, and vicki have posted, let me just add a double boatload of hugs for you, teacherld.

9. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I am so sorry for your loss, and ditto to the advice to seek professional help. You are not alone! Hugs.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2015

There are soooo many teachers who take meds for their depression. Please don't try to handle it on your own and without a doctor. It is a real illness as much as any other.

I found that depression affected energy a great deal, but that while I was actively teaching or planning, my mind was so engrossed that I blocked everything else out and was able to cope. This was treated depression, by the way. I can't imagine doing it otherwise.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 31, 2015

If you were experiencing stomach issues or sinus issues, you'd see a doctor. Why? Because your body is telling you it's unhealthy and needs to feel better.

Depression is no different.

You can come here and ask for advice, but you're MUCH better off seeking professional medical help. Please do.

My prayers are with you and with your doctors. Please keep us updated.

12. 16lp

16lp Rookie

Jul 31, 2015

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. It is an unfathomable ache. I find that the best medicine was to talk to others, maybe in a group setting, maybe one on one, who are dealing with exactly what you are dealing with. It is hard to talk to others who haven't experienced that loss, and I found that connecting with others who knew EXACTLY what I was going through helped more than anything. People are at varying stages of grief, and helping others who are "newer" to the pain is very healing, and learning from those who are further away from it and how they have coped is also very therapeutic. I wish you the best and remember there is no "normal" grieving process. You are ok.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2015

Find a grief group that is either in person or online. I've buried children and a husband so like everyone else, I've been through grief. It's not a one size fits all thing. For one death, I needed an in person group who had been through the same type of situation and for another I was more comfortable with an online group.

AND see your doctor. I considered medical treatment at one point but my doc and I decided I didn't need it since my sadness was just grief and I didn't have the symptoms for me to be considered having a medical condition. If I had, I'm glad there was an option for it. I sure would have taken the medication if it was needed.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way.

14. Sunlight

Sunlight Rookie

Jul 31, 2015

Condolences. I can't even begin to imagine that pain. Your students will need you to take care of yourself. I know that's hard when you can hardly find the energy to eat.

If you can, ask someone you trust to help you find professional help. Please check in on here again and let us know any updates. I hope the storm passes soon, and strength to you in the mean time.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I'm going to ditto the professional help. I take medication for depression. I was severely depressed; I'd be fine with the kids but I would stop on the way home & cry for an hour. I'd come home & cry. I finally went to my dr. who prescribed me medicine & then suggested that I talk to someone. I only did that for about 6 months, but I still take meds. for it.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2015

I would take medicine off and on while teaching for different stages of depression. Now I wouldn't go without my meds. You may only need them for awhile. Finally, like others have recommended seek professional help. I am sorry that you have to go through this.