Depressed Job Hunter in DFW

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deeceekids, Apr 30, 2010.

1. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Apr 30, 2010

I really am depressed over my chances of getting a job in DFW, Texas. I have a standard license in another state and have taught for almost 9-10 years with experience as an administrator in between. I have a one year TX license now and have all my tests (EC-4, ESL, PPR K-12) completed for a standard license. Am just waiting for my 4-8 test scores before I send everything in to SBEC. I do tell this on my resume so that districts know I can easily get a standard license. I have gone to job fairs, and have applied at almost every school district in the area; yet I still haven't heard from anyone. I have been searching since last June with no luck. I have even personally gone into schools to give out my resume and still no luck. I heard in another forum that there are college students out there who already have jobs, many who haven't even passed their tests yet. What am I doing wrong???? Somebody give me some pointers. I am so desperate at this point :(

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 30, 2010

Hmmm.... Have you been substituting this year? With your experience, it seems that you would be snapped up. Where have you been applying? Right now I can tell you that schools in Texas are more concerned about our statewide testing that we recently finished up rather than hiring applicants. The TAKS rules in Texas. Now districts will look at transferring teachers within the district. In a few weeks, districts will look and see what positions they still have and then begin hiring from the outside. Those college graduates may be finishing up student teaching and just luck into a position of a retiring teacher or a teacher that is going on maternity leave in the fall. Keep the faith that something will happen and do let me know where you have been applying. I live and teach in the DFW area and can give you some insight. Hope you hear something soon. But keep in mind, it is still early yet for hiring. Do not panic!:cool:Stay cool!

4. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Apr 30, 2010

I have been subbing, but no school in the district I'm subbing at is hiring. I am seriously wondering if it is something that I am doing on my resume, or if it is the fact that I have an expiring one year certificate, but like I said earlier, I have also written on my resume that I have passed the required tests to get my standard certificate and am just waiting for my 4-8 scores to come in before sending everything off. Do you think that might be the problem though?

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2010

Take a look at my posting number (across from my name).

I've been around for a while. I KNOW the job market season.

Now...TRUST me. There is NO reason for panic in April...or May...or June... or even early July.

The season has JUST begun. Sell yourself well. Keep up on applications (change them if you feel that you can do better). And practice interview answers. Use your time productively.

Panic is NOT productive!!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 1, 2010

It is early. I would widen my district search and also go to some of the local job fairs. You might make an important contact at one of the fairs. I know that we hired two teachers from a job fair. It can happen!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 1, 2010

Are you willing to relocate? Louisiana needs teachers like crazy. One parish has over 100 job openings listed for next school year already, and it's not even prime hiring season yet! Other parishes have similar needs. Some have started recruiting internationally!

8. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 8, 2010

Thanks for the heads up Ms. Celia. I have thought about moving to neighboring states and have seriously thought about moving back to the state I had moved from since I still hold a standard license there; however, I don't know if I can afford another out of state move right now. I just hope I can get something in the North Texas area. Thanks for your help though.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

It is still early. My principal is just now starting to go through resumes/applications. Some of those districts you listed are HARD districts to get into and you really have to know someone to get into them. With all of your experience, I'm surprised that a district hasn't grabbed you up. Don't give up though!

10. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 9, 2010

Thanks smalltowngal. I am new to the area though. Any suggestions on which districts may give me a better chance? Please pm me if you can. Thanks again!