depressed and confused about what went wrong??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sub2Teach, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Yesterday I posted my story about how I had interviewed for this fifth grade position. I had the second interview that went really good. The principal said the team of teachers wanted to send me on to meet with superintendent but she didn't know when that would be because she had to wait on some things, supposed "holding pattern." But basically, i was the one the team had picked out of the five candidates. So I've been waiting since then, eventually email principal back on July 21st. I never got a reply back. I guess I should have known something was up when i didn't get a reply because after waiting all day yesterday for principal to call me (it reopened on August 1st) and she didn't I finally decided to call myself today (august 2nd).

The school district told me that position was filled so i called the school and she told me the same thing. Apparently, the principal was at a conference or a workshop today so I couldn't get any answers from her.

But now, I've spent the entire day crying and wondering what happened. How did I go from supposedly meeting with superintendent to left waiting without even a phone call to say you know your not going to get the job after all.

I had actually looked into housing in that area and was counting on this job. Now I'm looking at my options and I'm panicked and afraid of what I'm going to be doing now. Where do I go from here?

Sorry, I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.:confused:

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I went through some similar and I know how much it stinks *hugs*
    There is still time left, just keep sending out those emails to principals and making as many phone calls as you can. Call back tomorrow and see if you can get some answers and politely say "Even though that position is filled, if something comes up, for ANY position, please let me know because after speaking with XXX I really fell in love with the people at the school and I feel like I would be a great fit for it" or something like that.

Give yourself time to cry and sulk (believe me, I had those days, too) but remember tomorrow is a new day with new opportunities- you just have to find them!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

Wow, that is awful. I had a pity party last year on my birthday, I hadn't gotten a job, I hadn't had an interview but I got lots of rejection letters.....so my kids and I had a hot dog roast burning all that useless paper.....it really made me feel better. Oh, I also got a job, in Nov....so don't give up yet

5. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 3, 2007

That really sucks. When are these administrators going to start behaving professionally like we are supposed to??:mad:

6. KW_P4edu

KW_P4edu Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I agree. You were treated unfairly and should have been notified. Sounds like something went wrong and they don't want to admit it.

7. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 3, 2007

That kind of thing happens way too often. Something similar has happened in one way or another to two of my teacher friends and myself! It does make you wonder what kind of professional standards they hold to.
    I think it was probably a case of one party unaware of what another party was doing (maybe the super had someone in mind and the principal didn't know).
    Please don't take it personally. There will be other openings. Keep your chin up and impress someone else.

I feel terrible for you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I know it's hard. I have a story from when I was 19 and looking for a job. I had quit working FT because my college school schedule wouldn't allow it. So I interviewed for a PT admin position at a law firm. I thought I interviewed really well and got an offer before the end of the day. I was so excited at the idea of working in an office and not retail or fast food! We set-up a time for me to come in later that week to sign some forms and work out my schedule. I was on cloud nine! The next day the head lawyer at the law firm calls me tell that the person who extended the offer to me had no right to fill the position. (???) He told me not to bother coming in as I wasn't hired and hung up! My feelings were so hurt, but he was a jerk, so I wouldn't have wanted to work for him anyway! He probably was saving the position for his daughter or neice and didn't bother to tell that to his hiring manager.

Anyway, if that is the type of professionalism policy that they adhere to then count me out! There is a place where you are much needed and much deserved, you just don't know it yet! Keep your chin up and think positive. There are plenty of good things that could come before school starts. :)

9. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Wow that really stinks! I can't believe they didn't even call you.

I have a friend who was hired to be a cop and they even gave her a start date and everything. So she found an expensive rental house in that town and moved an hour away for the job and then she got a rejection letter!

People really need to be much more careful about what comes out of their mouths! Especially if it affects other people!

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Sub2Teach, I think I would call again or email the principal and ask her/him to be upfront about what happened. Just state it objectively, because it may have been something that you can do something about, I mean like your resume didn't have this information or the qualifications didn't match or a simple thing that you can change. It may have been that the job went to someone's relative, too. And if they liked you that much, being professional about it could get you another interview with another school. Good luck, sorry you feel so bad. I remember one job I didn't get--it was between another candidate and I for an afterschool position at a middle school--the principal hired the guy because he thought I'd be too sweet to keep discipline. Yes, we knew each other through my children, and he actually told me. I was upset just like you, because the principal really made it seem that he was going to hire me. It turned out the guy wasn't good at discipline at all and was not a good match, but too late, I was offered a contract somewhere else.
    Good luck to all of you & God bless. :)

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Go look at yourself in the mirror and say "Well that's just their loss" Now go take a walk with some really good music or just dance around the house. It's their loss for not recognizing how much talent you have. It only takes one school and then your in like Flynn. :)

12. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Give yourself some time to get over it. I had an interview at my dream district and I thought things went well. I never heard a thing...read in the newspaper yesterday about all the new hires. I was really depressed and now I am just angry :mad: ! I think it may have been a good thing for me because it really lit the fire under the you know what :woot: and now I am more determined than ever to get that job!! Good luck to you and move on....the perfect job is out there some where--GO GET IT!

13. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 3, 2007

hey you-so sad to hear (yet another) principal is not acting like the professionals we're supposed to be :(. anyhoo, just wanted to let you know that last year we had a similar situation in my school. there was an opening in my grade, and the principal asked the other teacher and myself to come in for the interviews. long story short, the other teacher and i both agreed on the person we wanted (which we verbalized to our prin.), but they still hired someone else. this person ended up getting fired at the end of the school year.

i don't know why in the world it has to be so hard to find a teaching job, but it is! please hang in there and know that circumstances were obviously out of your control w/this one. there is a better job out there for you and you will find it! don't give up!!

p.s. i have pity parties -meri
    for myself all the time...
    i recommend mountain
    dew & CHOCOLATE-ha-
    ha!!

14. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks to all of you for your support!! I really appreciate it. Its comforting to know I can share my story with you all and know that I'm not alone. As many of you said, we are expected to act professional and these administrators and principals will not extend us the same courtesy. Its really a shame. I'm still motivated to find a job. I did call the principal and she said something about maybe needing another first grade teacher if enrollment goes up, claiming she sent my paperwork to superintendent if that happens. But, at this point, I'm not sure I trust this principal anymore. I'm looking into other districts hoping I can still find something. Thanks for again for your support. I wish you all the best of luck!!!!!

15. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

Okay, but it won't hurt to ask, now that you've given up on it especially. I'm glad you're feeling better and ready to move on. Looking for a position in teaching can be really unencouraging, just keep the faith. :)