Depo Provera Shot

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissCeliaB, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

Do any of you ladies use this? My doctor recommended it because of my high blood pressure, age, and risk of blood clots. But now that I got the injections tonight, and have read a little more, I'm really not happy with it. Am I going to be this weepy and emotional from now on? I don't know what to do, but I do not like this!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

Well, I don't want to scare you, especially since you already got it, but I got it once and hated every minute of it. It made me...um...I guess you could say uninterested, like to the point that the smell of my husband's cologne made me physically ill. I also don't recommend this shot if you plan on having children in the foreseeable future. They make it sound like you don't get a shot, you get pregnant the next day. Not so for me anyway. I got 1-one-shot, in August of 2002, with the thought that we would be able to conceive the next year. My daughter was born in 2005.

Again, I don't want to scare you, but I just can't recommend that you get another.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

Again, not to scare you, and I know it's different for everyone, but when I got the shot my period lasted 4 months varying between heavy, normal, and light spotting.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

I know five women who have gotten the shot and all of them gained a lot of weight, like in the 80+ pound range.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

Yikes! Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I feel like this may be my first, and last shot. I hope it gets better, but I don't want to cry all the time for the next three months!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

Great, like I need an excuse! It says the average weight gain is five pounds. I guess that means I'll have to lose those five, plus the thirty I was already trying to lose.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2011

I was on the shot a long time ago. It made me a crazy person. I had really bad mood swings. After two rounds of shots my mother told me no more! She couldn't take the mood swings.
    My sister has an IUD with low hormones and both my sil have IUDs with no hormones. They all love them.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

I took it and had the worse migraines.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

Is an IUD an option for you? They come either with or without hormones. I had one for years and loved it.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 5, 2011

I just don't like the idea of putting something into my body that I can't take out for three months.

That, and I've never known anybody who's been happy with it. Of course, I had a tubal ligation, so I don't need to worry about it any more.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

They usually only like to put IUDs in women who have kids already. Some of the same things that make it risky for me to have children make it risky for me to use an IUD. Tubal ligation may be the next thing I ask my doctor about...

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

I don't have kids but my doctor and I decided to go with an IUD anyway because I don't do very well with the hormonal options. For me it was a good choice.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 5, 2011

If you're sure you don't want kids, a tubal can be a great thing. The only issues I've had are slightly heavier, crampier periods and a little trouble losing belly fat.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2011

My sister and one sil have never had children and both have iUDs. On with low hormones one with out.

16. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Jan 5, 2011

I was thinking about getting it bc I was tired of taking the pill. But then I did some research and it talked about how you may or may not get your period, you may have spotting, etc. I like to know that EVERY 28 days, without fail, I get my period. And no spotting ever.
    I'm using it now much more for regulating my period than for actual birth control :( but I still think its better for me than the depo shot.

Too each her own though. All these drugs work differently for everyone.

Good luck.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

personally, I never want to use hormonal birth control ever again. I didn't realize how horrible it made me feel until I stopped taking it. I know doing that isn't an option for most people, but I am so happy to be done having children--and for a wonderful husband who took care of the bc in this family!

18. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 6, 2011

I used to have the shots and had no problems (other than spotting the first two weeks). I didn't gain weight and didn't have a period, which I loved!

19. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 6, 2011

I have been getting the Depo shots for about 8 years now and there hasn't been any insane weight gain (I actually lost 15 pounds my freshman year of college, 3 years after my first shot). I haven't had a period since I started and I don't recall much, if any, spotting in the beginning.

20. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

I actually was on the Depo shot for 10 years....yes 10 years! I've been off of the shot for about 4 years now but I must say that I really didn't have any side effects. I think it all depends on the individual. I didn't gain any weight (as a matter of fact, I didn't gain weight until I got off of the shot). I didn't have spotting or anything like that. And it was very effective. It suprises me that some people say it causes mood swings and makes you highly emotional, I didn't see that at all. What I will say is I have tried other BC methods and they were HORRIBLE. I was on the Patch, didn't like it then changed to the Nuva-Ring and OMG.....I thought I was going to have a heart attack! :eek: I had serious heart palpitations (sp?), irregular heart beats and it totally made me into a mean person with mood swings. I drove my poor boyfriend crazy....he didn't know what was wrong with me. Ugh! I went to the Emergency room because I really thought it was something serious. I complained to my doctor several times and they kept saying it might have something to do with heart disease that runs in my family, and sent me for a load of tests. I did my own research and found out that the Nuva-Ring causes cases of heart attacks, strokes and depression. Needless to say, I stopped taking it and will never try random BC methods again.
    All in all, the Depo shot was the best method for me, especially as a young woman. Now that I'm in my 30's, I am on the pill.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 6, 2011

What's funny is my doctor took me off of the pill because I'm approaching my 30's. I had been on it for over 10 years, and it worked just fine!

I'm still not a fan of the shot. The injection site is still VERY sore, I'm still nauseated, and I am definitely moody, though the weeping has stopped. I think it's funny today that I came across evidence that the smell of a woman's tears kills a man's sex drive. That is not how I intended my birth control to work... ;)

22. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

Hmmmmm, that's interesting! Well, I do know that one reason I am on the pill is because I recently got an MRI done and it showed ovarian cysts (sp?) My doctor said that they probably formed due to the fact that I stopped BC all together for a little while after my heart scare. So she recommended I get on some form of BC because the hormones tend to make the cysts go away. Overall though, I tend to have less complications with the pill. I think the amount of hormones are lower compared to other forms. Don't want anymore problems with my heart so it's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :confused: I am considering an IUD though.