departmentalized language/writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4inteacher, Oct 8, 2010.

1. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Oct 8, 2010

Our 5th and 6th grade classes are departmentalized this year. A colleague of mine has been asked to switch from math to language/writing since we just lost two teachers this week and had to switch a lot of things around. She's super overwhelmed with the thought of grading 100 language notebooks.

Language and writing teachers: Any tips on grading? I was thinking she could space out her lessons more so writing assignments don't fall on the same day for all five classes. Do any of you do "conferences" with individual students? Does that help at all? Any organizational tips that might help her out? Websites? ANYTHING would be appreciated! Thanks! :help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2010

A writer's workshop approach works well with the spacing out papers. Students don't all turn things in at the same time.
    When I taught two classes, I had one work on the rough draft while the other the final draft. This way only one set of papers was turned in. However, with the writer's workshop, I get 4 or 5 papers a day from my one class this year.
    I do have conferencing, but haven't figure out a way to make this fast and efficient. Some students need little and when I grade their papers it is easy. Other students need 20-30 minutes to revise (so I find that they need to write many drafts). With these students, we go paragraph by paragraph and then they revise and wait for another conference!

4. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

writer's workshop sounds like a great idea. I've never done this before but perhaps I can look around online and see what I can find about it. Thanks!