Dental Work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 19, 2019

I've been going to the same dentist for the past 5 or so years.

The first visit I had with her about 5 years I had a few cavities because I took like a 5 year break from going to the dentist (oops!!!) So it made sense I had a few cavities that needed filled, and she did a good job with them.

Anyway, I've been going twice a year now to this same dentist, and since the original fillings, there haven't been any issues. Now, when I went last week, she told me I need 6 more fillings as soon as possible, and 2 of them may need to be root canals. I was a little taken aback because 6 months ago she said everything was fine and I've been brushing as normal. (Yes, I am sometimes negligent with flossing, but that's ALWAYS been the case.). She did show me the x-rays and point out some things, but I don't really know how to read dental x-rays, and the spots she showed me didn't seem particularly big. I want to trust this dentist, but it just seems odd to me that so many would pop up at once. I haven't been experiencing any pain or sensations with my teeth AT ALL, and the idea of sitting through 1+ hours of dental work for something that isn't bothering me doesn't seem like a fun time.

Have you had any experiences with this? (I.e. dentist recommending work you didn't think was necessary) I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion...

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jan 19, 2019

Get a second opinion if your skeptical. Just remember that fillings are usually pretty cheap ($50 or less usually) and root canals/crowns are expensive ($1000+) and inplants are even more. If the second dentists says you need the work get then get the small stuff done. In college I took horrible care of my teeth for a while and really paid for it later. LOTS of root canals/fillings. All good now though. :)

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 20, 2019

Definitely get a second opinion if you want, but it is possible. I was totally fine at one check and then at the next had four cavities.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2019

I've gone to the dentist every six months since I was three years old I've never had to have any major dental work done, but I do have quite a few fillings. None have ever even required numbing to repair.

It is possible, however, to have major issues pop up rather quickly. For instance, I had major bouts of vomiting for months due to an undiagnosed gall bladder issue. That caused issues with the enamel, and I had to have sealant put on all my molars when I went for my next dental cleaning. My mom has issues due to the medication she takes for seizures.

If you want, then have a second opinion. It will make you feel better about it.

6. Janlee70

Janlee70 Rookie

Jan 20, 2019

If you do get a second opinion be sure to take the X-rays. They are yours as you paid for them. This way you won’t have to have them taken again.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 24, 2019

Sadly, the older we get, the more at risk our tooth health seems to become. It bears noting that you can keep the same dentist and simply decline the work suggested. It may not make for a great working relationship, but it will almost certainly open a dialog about the seemingly large amount of work popping up all at once. Often with root canals, it means that a cavity or defect has shown up in a tooth that has already had work done. In that situation, the tooth can be considered more fragile than new cavities in teeth that have never been affected. Before running off to a new dentist, have a heart to heart with the current dentist, trying to leave the emotional aspect at the door.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Jan 27, 2019

I think I made a mistake and I’m sorry to all. I understand if my post gets removed.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 27, 2019

You might want to get a second opinion. While most dentists are fair, there are some who push services when not needed yet, and others who are down right shady.

Get copies of the x-rays from your dentist and get a second opinion if you are unsure.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 27, 2019

That reminds me, I need to get my teeth cleaned and I recently missed my appointment because I was tutoring. Oh dear.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2019

I go to a dental office where there are several dentists so sometimes I get different ones taking care of me. One time the dentist had a difficult to understand accent so I thought he said I needed 5 fillings. Well, I come to find out that I just needed a repair on an old filling. What the heck?????? Maybe he meant tooth number 5??? I honestly do not want to see him again unless he gives me his notes to look at because I can't understand him.

12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 28, 2019

I go to one of those teaching places so I never really see the same person twice except the main dentist I guess. He usually just comes in, takes a look at what the students have done tells me I need a root canal in a tooth I don't have any more and moves on. I don't know if he does it as a joke or ironically or something or if he genuinely doesn't realize I don't actually have that tooth. Not sure I want to know, either.

So yeah second opinions are great you should get one — it'll put your mind at ease.