Dental Implant

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Aug 9, 2012.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I have a baby tooth (bottom molar) that has somehow remained to stay with me for nearly 47 years. Unfortunately, I have no permanent tooth to replace it. The root has decided it is time to dissolve and so now I have to face surgery. I did have quite a difficult time when I got my wisdom teeth out. UGH! I just want to know if anyone has gone through this and what to expect. I have put this surgery off for quite awhile, but now my baby tooth is telling me it is time to go...pain and just uncomfortable. From what my dentist told me, this is at least a 3 month procedure....and it isn't cheap! I just need encouragement to actually proceed with this procedure. I am a chicken, but I don't want to be without a tooth (even a molar) as I am vain, too. lol

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

I have a tooth implant. It was much longer than 3 months for me and took around 3 different appointments. They put a metal post in first (it was flat against my gums), which had to stay in for several months before they could do anything else. Then they had to take impressions to measure for the tooth. Last, they put the tooth on top. I actually don't think I had any pain at all throughout it. They said I might feel some discomfort, but I didn't even need any of the pain medication they gave me. It just felt weird to have no tooth in that spot. I thought having my wisdom teeth out was a lot worse.

I'm not all that happy with mine though. I think the tooth is too low down, and there are gaps underneath (my floss will go under it). But I was able to get mine done for free and I moved shortly after, so I just dealt with it.

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

I have one and I love it. All said, it probably took just over 6mo for completion. Once the post was put in, it had to heal and become secure. Then the tooth was placed. The post was put in by a jaw surgeon and my actual dentist placed the "tooth". I have a crown-bridge combination on one side of my mouth and on the other side the implant. I am by FAR happier with the implant as it feels more natural and definitely sturdier than the crown/bridge.

Hopefully your insurance will cover some of the cost. Look into doing part of it this year and the remainder next year. Also, look into flexing the cost of the implant. I was able to take advantage of the dental deductible twice because of the separate doctors and in different year timeframe.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Another question for you both. Were you put out for the surgery to place the post? I was when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I'm just wondering if it is the same for that procedure.
    Wow, I can't believe it takes 6 months to complete. :(

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Our oldest son had the same thing happen. His baby tooth fell out though. It's on the lower left and not right in front though.They made him a "flapper" until he figures out and can afford it. The cost is around 6 grand!

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

I don't think I was (sorry, I have a bad memory about some things!) I know it was all done at my dentist though-it actually seemed pretty easy every time I went in. It just was a long time that you had to wait in-between.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Grammy, I want to get a flipper too until I get the other tooth attached. I know it is so expensive! UGH!
    Ty Far....I wish I could have it all done at the dentist but I have to go to an oral surgeon to have the post put in.
    I have the same bottom molar on the other side that is also a baby tooth. So far that tooth has not given me any problems. I hope it stays that way!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

My husband had this done, and his experience is much like Far's. He's happy with it so far. And he was not put under to have it done.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Well I think I will be scheduling an appt. tomorrow as I'm very tired of this sore, wiggly tooth in my mouth. I think I was just apprehensive because of my experience with the wisdom teeth. Thanks everyone for the replies.

11. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

I was not put out at all. :) I drove myself there and back. It was very similar to any other dental work... several well-placed shots and I was ready to roll.

One thing that the oral surgeon had me do was take antibiotics leading up to the surgery and post-surgery. I also had to rinse with a special "fluid" to cleanse and sterilize my mouth for a couple of days before that "surgery".

12. JoseBlake

JoseBlake Guest

Aug 22, 2012

I have had dental implant last year, and believe me dental implant surgery is a normal one no much bleeding or pain as if. Yeah but may take more time, in my case required 6 months to complete the whole
    dental implant procedure and was not much costlier, it took $1999 for my single dental implant. So don't afraid just go for it. I am sure you will love it :D

For more information: 1999implant.com