Dental Health art project

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrsp1104, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mrsp1104

mrsp1104 Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

Hello,

I teach 2's and 3's. Does anyone have any good art projects for dental health?

3. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Feb 15, 2007

I once saw in a magazine to make a tooth brush out of a sentence strip. Glue strips of paper to the top of the sentence strip as the bristles of the brush. Students write ways to take care of their teeth on the strips of paper.

4. princesspatunia

princesspatunia Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

Use a tooth brush to paint with. String paint with dental floss. Make a collage with items from magazines teeth, dentists or tooth brushes and things you would use in the office-cotton balls, dental floss or guaze. Water down different flavor tooth pastes and make a smelly painting with it. Finger paint with tooth paste (they come in all kinds of great colors and smells these days).

5. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

The toothpaste painting is great! Just make sure to get the non-flouride stuff-you know one of the 2's is going to have to sample it! I wouldn't use the dental floss just because (I had a class of 14 with only one other teacher) and one of my young 2's started choking on it because he tried to swallow it. After I pulled it out (and he threw up) I asked why he would eat the floss? He said it smelled yummy and it was chewy. Classic.

6. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 15, 2007

I had my kids paint a tooth with toothbrushes. Then I took pictures of each child brushing their teeth, holding toothbrush and toothpaste, etc. I am going to arrange it in the hall in the shape of a smile with the the title "Brushing makes mouths happy" (a little twist on the twizzlers slogan).

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

My 3's made giant toothbrushes... we drew straight lines on a piece of white paper, and they cut on the lines (sorta) to make the bristles... glued to a long thin piece of construction paper that they got to decorate. They look really cute in the hallway with a caption of "We're "Brushing Up" on Healthy Habits."

We also have GIANT teeth in our science center... we borrowed another set and the kids took turns "brushing" the teeth with shaving cream. :)

8. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 16, 2007

You can also cut the bottoms of plastic coke bottles (the ones that come in a 6 pack) and hot glue them to a piece of cardboard. The ridges look like real teeth when you think about it...Arranged in the shape of a mouth and Voila! a mouth to brush!

9. mrsp1104

mrsp1104 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007

Wow! thanks for the so many great ideas. Yesterday, I had a dental appointment and asked my dentist if you could donate whatever he had for my class for dental health month. He gave me a whole box of kids toothpaste and tooth brushes. I was so happy. That just made my day.

10. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Feb 18, 2007

I did something similar to this last week but we used paper towl rolls that they painted and glued crepe paper to it as the bristles. It was VERY cute and the kids adored their big toothbrushes.

11. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Feb 18, 2007

I usually cut off the bottoms of 20 oz bottles and have the children paint them with white paint. They become large white teeth that we can always play with and refer to during the unit. Also, I have a dentist from the local area come in, and do a presentation which they usually love!

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 18, 2007

LOL, I thought it said, Mental Health art project :)