Demoted, feeling a bit down

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sakura, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

Hello, I just wanted to come to the teaching forum to express that I am a bit down. I am still employed with the same place but they want me to be a teacher's aide instead of a teacher. I had a rough three months when I was teaching (no mentor, students had two different teachers, my first time teaching) so I feel a bit like it's not fair to judge my teaching by those three months. Should I give up on being a teacher? I do know I need more experience but I don't want to give up on being a teacher in the future either. Thanks:eek:

3. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 24, 2014

Are they not willing to put you on a plan of action for the coming school year?

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2014

I would not give up, even if that means finding another school where you can be the main classroom teacher. There´s no way you can perfect the craft of teaching in three months. I don´t know what the issues were, but I suggest not giving up.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

Don't feel too down. Sounds like they recognized that it was a tough situation but that you have potential. They didn't want to let you go because they think you might be a good teacher some day but you needed a bit more time and support to get there.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

I went back and read your post history to understand why you only taught three months last year...from what I understand,

• Your students had varied teachers covering the class until you got there
    • You arrived just in time for state test prep
    • You went thru an online teacher Ed program but didn't have a student teaching experience although you have subbed
    • Behaviors and behavior mgt were issues
    • Your school seems unstable and was in danger of closing this year

You had A LOT on your hands.:hugs: it seems your school values you but the situation you were in was difficult at best. I do think the lack of a more traditional training program and going alt route can put a teacher at a disadvantage.:(
    Have you considered applying at other schools? There still are unexpected openings popping up here and there....why not send out your package to every public, private and charter within a reasonable commute in case there are openings... (check the reputation of the charters, you not want to jump from the frying an into the fire!) couldnt hurt to see what's out there...

7. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

That does sounds rough, but I'm sure you can turn it into something positive! If you end up working as an aide, soak it in and try to gather all the good ideas you can from other teachers. Are you job hunting for a position at another school?

8. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

Definitely don't give up! You need to give yourself a chance too! I would start looking for a teaching position maybe in another building that begins at the beginning of a year or a semester so that the students will know you as their teacher and not have to clean up after what other people started. Like another poster mentioned, it is possible that they didn't have another position available but wanted to keep you. Obviously they know that you're valuable as an employee because they kept you on after your self proclaimed "rough" teaching experience. Best of luck!

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2014

Depends. Do you think with all those issues last year that it was really a fair shake for a beginning teacher or an accurate indication of what teaching would be like after having much more experience?

I sure don't. I think you have a lot to offer your students.

Giving up would be like giving up learning to ride a bicycle after the first week, when trying to practice during a storm at night on bumpy hills.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 24, 2014

I remember reading some of your previous posts and as another poster said, you were put in a really tough and (imho) unfair situation. Unless you are extremely happy/comfortable at your current school, I would consider looking to transfer if not this year, then possibly next.

I say this because I was put into a rough situation at my previous school. Like you, I started late in the year. My P was a pushover who allowed the two teachers on my team to choose 10 students from each of their classes to make my class.

They of course choose all their worse/lowest students, so I had a classroom full of students with behavioral, emotional and academic issues. There were about 9 boys in my classroom who had severe issues and I was constantly breaking up fights and a few times had to carry kids to the office.

Looking back, it was an impossible situation and I was a new teacher. I struggled all year and had trouble eating, sleeping and I was always stressed.

Transferring to a new school was one of the best decisions I ever could have made. My class management and instruction have improved tremendously since then and I honestly feel it wouldn't have if i had stayed at my old school. I needed a fresh start and an administration that didn't already have preconceived notions about me and my abilities.

My new school is far from perfect, but my P and the administration like me, I'm now a team leader, I get along with my coworkers and I've developed a stellar reputation with parents and the admin.

:2cents:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

I agree with all this.

12. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

I think many of us are angry on your behalf. I too am of the camp saying apply at other schools. This is rotten. Good luck.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2014

Outrage on Sakura's behalf is called for, but A to Z members are reminded not to resort to inappropriate language.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

If you cannot find another position, look at this demotion as a learning experience. Think of it as getting paid to observe classrooms and learn as much as possible. By next year you'll be able to honestly say you have positive classroom experience and you should be able to get a good recommendation from someone. Chin up !

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't there a filter which automatically *'s out words considered to be "unspeakable?"

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 24, 2014

:yeahthat: that's such a great way to look at it and very true. Having a bad teaching experience makes you appreciate good ones that much more.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

:thumb: all of this. And when possible see how you can take on some teaching roles:work with small groups or one on one to support the classroom teacher's instruction, hone your behavior mgt skills.
    I ALWAYS learn something when I observe in another classroom.

Not sure any of this calls for 'outrage' or bad words.:2cents:

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2014

Absolutely do not give up on teaching based on one 3 month experience.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

I don't understand how a P can demote you (or anyone) from teacher to TA if the person has a current/valid teaching license. Being a TA means a whole different pay scale and bargaining unit. I can understand the P making you teach something else (another grade or class), but not a demotion. How is this legal? Where is the Union?

Here, TAs are people without a teaching license (usually they can't pass the praxis). I have never EVER heard of a P telling a fully licensed teacher that they are going to be a TA next year. Never.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

Op seems to be in a charter. Even in public schools, however, non tenured teachers can be let go, moved around, at will. Public schools generally don't 'demote' however.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

The Charter part makes sense.

I have seen many non-tenured teachers (with a valid license) fired and moved to other teaching positions, but never demoted from teacher to TA. I wonder if anyone has ever seen this actually happen in a public school.

22. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

Thanks everyone, really glad I can get this off my chest. I am still on a probationary certificate so I guess it's not the same as being tenured. I did keep looking and am still fishing around, no luck yet. I do see it as a good time to pick up experience. I will say this, I think a lot of it has to do with the school being in hot water with the TEA. I love teaching and my hubby says to look at it as getting the experience for the next go round and he's right. I am getting paid more because I have my master's in education and I might have not found the right fit yet. There's a lot of tough competition here in TX and from what I hear with teachers everywhere so I'll keep chugging. You guys are awesome and thanks so much. I know I can be a great teacher as long as I can get the art of classroom management mastered.

23. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

I am lucky I made two great friends, especially one with the social studies teacher who has been a great help and encouragment. One of the student's grandmothers knows a lot of people in the district and has offered to help me out saying her grandson loved me as a teacher so I'll get there. I tell you what teaching is hard but I do love it. I love a challenge ^^

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2014

There are more openings than applicants in some places. Keep applying.