demo suggestions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrTeacher, Aug 6, 2008.

1. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

wow, searching for an elem. position in NJ is sooooo depressing...

At the moment it seems like this one possible position is my last chance =(.
    It's only a maternity leave for the first half of the year, but it's better than nothing, right?

They asked me to do a 20-30 minute L.A. (reading or writing) demo lesson with about 5-6 students who will be going to 2nd grade in September.

One of the first things I thought of was maybe doing something like haikus. Does that seem too hard for new 2nd graders? I wish they said math, I'm much more comfortable and creative in doing math lessons. Any suggestions/ideas would be great =)

Also, for people who have done demo lessons before, should I have printed out lesson plans for the administrators/teachers that are observing the lesson? And if I use handouts do I have copies of that for them as well?

My head is spinning :(:confused:

3. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

yes...agreed about being depressed in NJ..

does the district do balanced literacy? if so you should do a small reader's or writer's workshop...

when i demo'd twice (and didn't get the jobs >_<) i printed out one lesson plan for the administrator. but if you know there will be more people watching, i'd print out a few copies.

good luck!

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Are demo lessons usually just for elementary positions?

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

How about doing something with reading strategies- Perhaps a lesson on making connections or predictions. Something like that?

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

p.s. I would have your plans and any other materials printed out for the committee. Plan to have enough-- :)

7. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I'd do something that acts a review, since I'm the students may have forgotten things over the summer. So aim for something from first grade rather than introduce something new from second grade. You don't want them to stare at you...lol Also, I think reading would be easier to do for a short lesson plan than writing.

8. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

thanks for the suggestions!

I was talking with a friend and she suggested maybe doing a short book and doing text-to-self connections. Being summer and almost the start of a new school year, I know there are a couple of books I could use to do a lesson around that. Share some of my connections, have them share some of theirs as I read, then maybe have them write out and illustrate one at the end.

Something like that. Rough, but that's the basic gist I'm thinking of right now.

tiki7719: as far as I know, it really depends on the school. I know a couple middle schools/high schools that do demo lessons. In general, I think it is most common at the elementary level though.

9. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Haikus may be a little much. That is something that requires knowledge of syllables (that first graders PROBABLY have done... but you don't want to get into the situation of trying to teach something that is building on something the children don't already know!).

I like the idea of doing a short mini-lesson on a reading strategy like using text-to-self connections. There is a lot of things you could do with that, and EVERY upcoming second grader should be able to relate something in a book to something in their life.

Good Luck!

PS - I must say a lot of the posters from NJ are making me nervous. I currently work in a private school but am hoping to get a new job in a public school next year. It's sounding like my search is not going to be fun!:unsure:

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

:2up:great demo lesson!!!!!!!

11. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

thank trayums! always good to have some reassurance hehe.

oh... just saw your profile note/thing whatever it's called. Congratulations on the marriage =)

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Awwwe-- thank you sooo much!!!! :) Looking forward to having my kiddos call me by my new name :lol:

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Hmm. I like the small book suggestions, but then you have to provide it for them. Wat if you do a Reader's Theater? There are a lot of scripts online for free; the kids LOVE reading a part; and the lesson could be relatively short.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Go to Reading A-Z and download a free book. You can print as many of those as you might need.

15. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

that seems like a good idea too! I'll check out the website. Thanks!

Right now I'm thinking of using one of two books. One is called "The Relatives Came" about family visiting during summer vacation. I'm sure kids should be able to relate to that. The other book I was thinking of I can't remember the title... but it was a book about the first day of school where the main character is scared to start at a new school and it turns out to be a teacher... something like that haha.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

:) The Relatives Came is a greatttttttt choice! I use it to teach text to self connections with my kids-- it is a true favorite of mine. The other book you are thinking of is First Day Jitters. That's another really good one but I would go with The Relatives Came!!!!! You're doing great-- I would hire you!

17. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

haha sweet, thanks!
    good to know the book title, I can go get it now =). Yeah, I'm leaning more towards The Relatives Came, but I want to have both just in case =P

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Good idea- you never know if they've already heard it or not. Even though revisiting known books is great for comprehension, for a demo you probably want one that's new to them so they don't say, "Ohhhh we've read this before." :)