Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jen12, Aug 10, 2016.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 10, 2016

I have a first round interview in a district that requires a demo lesson for interview #2. I may be getting ahead of myself, but since I had a whole two days notice for the first interview, I doubt there would be a big lead time to get ready for subsequent hoops.
    I don't even know where to start in terms of a demo lesson. Does one bring handouts? Do you do something in a group capacity? Does one subject lend itself more easily to this than other subject areas?
    Suggestions from anyone who has done this would be helpful.

3. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

I had an interview where the P wanted me to come in for a demo lesson THE NEXT DAY! So I totally get what you're doing. Having less than a day's notice is a little nerve wrecking. I did a lesson where there was a presentation, and an activity where they had to use their chromebooks. I would say if you get this demo lesson, ask the P what resources will be available to you. I've heard that handouts (dittos) is like the kiss of death. What subject are you doing the lesson on? I'm science so anything project based is great.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Rookie

Sep 4, 2016

I've never had to do this (thank god) but it is apparently the done thing in schools in the UK. So much so that teachers on a UK-centric forum could not imagine being hired to teach without an interview lesson. I'm assuming you have done your lesson already but in general it seems that the school should provide you with the time limit, grade, topic and rough ability level and you are expected to provide everything required to do the lesson.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2016

I'm thinking the demo is over since the OP posted on August 10. In my district, candidates who are invited back for a demo are given a specific topic around which to plan their lesson.

6. lmiysc

lmiysc Rookie

Oct 10, 2016

As someone who is going to be doing a 15-minute science mini-lesson(demo) in a couple of days, any other advice?
    I've started looking through the TEKs and stressing out.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2016

Dont look at all the TEKS. Focus on one or two that go together and do those. What grade?????

8. lmiysc

lmiysc Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

5th grade.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2016

Since most of Texas uses the same curriculum (not all and since I don't know where you are from) I would do a lesson on force, motion. http://www.teksresourcesystem.net/ Most of the state uses this. You can log on as parent if you click on the red button. find your grade, subject. This tells you what we teach, when we teach. This should help. Let me know if you need anything else.

10. lmiysc

lmiysc Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm loving the 5.6A M.E.L.T.S.