Demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jen84, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 3, 2016

I interviewed with a school and have been invited back to meet with a small group of first grade students next week. Rather than doing a traditional demo lesson (teaching an academic standard), I was asked to do an activity where the students and I get to know each other. The principal said she is looking to see how I interact with the students. I was hoping to get some feedback on what I have planned. Thanks in advance.

Before beginning the activity, I will go over my expectations, just as I would on the first day of school (practicing the attention signal, using a visual to teach them how to sit on the floor, etc.).

Anticipatory set: I have an "About Your Teacher" book that I plan to read to the students. It's seven pages long and lets them know about me.

Instruction: I will pass out a paper called "Math About Me". There are five boxes for them to fill in. I plan to have us do two of the boxes together. In the first box they will write their name and in the second they will count how many letters are in their name. I'm brining a small whiteboard so I can do these first two boxes with them.

Guided practice: Students will fill in the last three boxes, color a boy or girl head, and glue everything together. During this time I will assist students when needed.

Closure: Students will share their "Math About Me" papers with the small group.

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 4, 2016

Does the project include anything about their interests? Are these rising 1st graders or students that have just finished first grade?

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2016

Let me preface this by saying that first grade is not my cup of tea, but I do have a feel for what the hiring committee may be looking at. While I think it is great you are determined to teach and assess these little ones something, I suspect that an activity that had some physical movement in it, would be a great modification to consider. You could do similar things by providing clay and having them make the letters of their names, with you on the floor with them. That is active, and you become more approachable.

Interviews in different grades but with a group of students, was much more about interactions on a more hand's on, student friendly, teacher as part of the fun, kind of interviews. I freely admit that if this is what the P's instructions to you felt like, then who am I to judge? Best of luck.

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 4, 2016

Thanks for your responses. The students just finished kindergarten last month and will be starting first grade in August. The activity covers the K.CC.5 (I can count to tell how many) and the other boxes ask them to write how many pets they have, how many people are in their family, and how old they are.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2016

How did your demo go? We can't help being curious.

8. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 12, 2016

I felt it went well. The principal of the school said she contacted my current principal that same day, but I have not heard anything since then. It has almost been a week.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Was it extremely awkward trying to teach with a group of suits sitting there watching you? I mean I've been observed countless times, but it's still uncomfortable. Like being at a zoo.
    I just had an interview on Monday where they gave the same spiel, "We'll look over our candidates and invite some to the next round which is the model lesson." She said that she'll be in touch over the next few days and my friend (a named reference) just called to tell me that she spoke with " a principal" for about an hour on my behalf... who knows? But at the end of the day, whatever will happen, will happen. C'est la vie. Que sera, sera!
    So just know that you're not alone.
    :)