Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Moogeeg, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jun 15, 2015

Hello, all! I have a short demo lesson coming up next week for my dream job. I am really trying to stand out and get a leg up. My demo lesson includes an attention-getter, direct instruction, and group work, with formative assessment at the end. I was planning on printing out a lesson plan packet for each interviewer, and I also am thinking of including supplementary materials that could be used in related lessons (perhaps to show my planning process). I am also considering writing a unit plan outline for the entire related unit.

What do you all think? Will this at all look "good", or is it complete overkill? Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 15, 2015

I have only done two demo lessons, so I am definitely not an expert. The second principal told me she was just looking for a lesson that includes a pre-assessment, direct instruction, guided practice, and a quick evaluation. I only printed out a copy of my lesson for the principal, but I like the idea of showing your planning process. Good luck next week!

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jun 15, 2015

Thanks! It is only a 10 minute demo so I have been practicing my timing. I have never had to do a demo before in any other interview, so this will certainly be an interesting experience!

5. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 16, 2015

I've only ever had to do one demo lesson, and it was for an interview that I had last week. They only asked that I put together a ten minute mini-lesson, but I made sure to include a "work time" for the students.

I had the interview first, and then the demo lesson directly afterward. At the beginning of the interview, I handed out packets that I had put together to every interviewer that included my cover letter, resume, and certification as well as my lesson plan and all of the materials that you would need to teach the lesson. After I did the mini-lesson, I pretty much walked them all through what I would have the students doing and they were able to flip through the packet at the same time to look at the materials that I provided.

I got a call the next day with an offer! I think it made me stand out a bit that I included all the materials for the lesson in the packet for every interviewer. I hadn't thought to include a unit plan...but I think it's a good idea. It can give them an idea of what a typical unit looks like for you, and it can also show them where your demo lesson would fit in to the bigger picture to tie up any lose ends.

I think it's a great idea! There's nothing wrong with being over-prepared. It just makes you look enthusiastic and thorough.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 16, 2015

I think your idea of including extra materials in the packet is great. Worst case scenario, they won't look at them and it won't hurt your chances any. More likely, they will at least take a quick look and be impressed with the extra work you put it. Any time I've done a demo they've asked me how I could extend the lesson and/or what I would teach next about the same topic, so it would be great to have some things prepared already. Make sure you keep an extra packet for yourself so that when you talk to them after the lesson, you have your own packet to pull out and reference information from. What you have planned sounds like a lot for 10 minutes, but I see you said you have been practicing timing...I would just really be careful that you're budgeting enough time. Good luck! I actually like demo lessons for interviews. I wish all schools did them. They gave me a chance to show off my actual teaching skills and when hired after a demo you already know that your admin approves of your teaching style/methods, which should guarantee positive evaluations later!

7. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jun 17, 2015

Thanks for your responses! It went pretty well. I ended up including a page with supplementary activities that would go well with the unit. I should hear by Friday. I really hope I get it, but at least I have a job I love if I don't!