Demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by daisycakes, May 15, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 15, 2015

What are your experiences with demo lessons? As a new teacher, I've been actively on the market 3 times in the last 5 years. I make it to finalist status for jobs I apply to more than 80% of the time. I usually have my pick of a few job offers. However, I have never received an offer from a private school that requires a demo lesson (all of them). 4 of those were before my first year, so I see now they were never going to go with a candidate with zero experience and I was just a token finalist and 2 were since then.

One of my first demos was for a class of the principal's kids because it was summer. They ranged from grade 2 to 7 and I had to give it in a wood shop classroom. It was a mess. However, at least one from that year went smoothly. After year 2 of teaching, I was asked to prepare a lesson for first. When I arrived, they said, oops, they are on a field trip. Here is a fourth grade class. Go! And it was such a mess. I was so upset I sat in my car and sobbed for an hour before driving home. I took a day off work to come in, made manipulatives and spent hours preparing and I didn't even get to give my lesson. It felt so disrespectful and unfair and I swore I'd never do another demo again and for 3 years, each time I was asked more a demo I said no. I counter offered a visit to my own classroom or removed myself from the process entirely. Out of 2 visits to my classroom, I was offered 1 job.

This year, my dream job opened up (very elite school). They required a demo and I said okay since I really wanted it. I thought it went pretty well, but very rushed at the end. It was not a disaster by any means and I think that, given I didn't know the kids, the room or school, I did a decent job. However, I wasn't offered the position.

I'm feeling a blow to my confidence, but I'm also wondering that is fair. Only 2 were after I had any kind of teaching experience. All of these were at private schools and that could be part of the issue as well. Also, I get the impression that some schools are more interested in shopping for teachers than actually hiring. I had one school try to schedule a demo with me before they even looked at my resume. I wonder how many they are doing, what is really going on in the hiring process, etc. what is your experience like? Also how do you manage so many demo lesson requests? If you are a full time teacher actively looking, you could easily take 5 or more days off due to demo lessons! It is really burdensome.

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

May 15, 2015

Principals at private schools in my area all interview/hire differently. Some collect resumes for a certain period of time and then interview those they are interested in. One principal called in every single person that applied, interviewed for a month, and then reposted the position because she was not happy with anyone. Others interview someone they like as soon as they apply and either immediately reject or hire them. In the several years that I have been applying to private schools, I have only had to do one demo lesson. It's really not common in my area. I can completely understand the feeling of not wanting to do demo lessons. Soon after I did mine, I was berated by the principal.
    I hope you are hired soon. :hugs: