Demo Lesson!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, Aug 3, 2013.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

Between last summer and this summer, I have had approximately 10 interviews but have never been offered the position. I have one last interview next week, and they have requested a demo lesson. This is the first time I have been asked to do one, so I'm excited! However, I am also nervous, so could use any advice/suggestions anyone may have. It has to be a writing lesson and will be with 6-8 6th grade students. It's only to be a 15 minute lesson. My thoughts right now are to either teach the "hamburger technique" for organizing paragraphs or to teach a descriptive writing lesson (show a paragraph w/o adjectives and compare it to a paragraph w/adjectives and then allow the students to do some sort of descriptive writing). Any other ideas?

3. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

I vote for the second idea.

I did something similar in a demo interview. You can PM me and I will give you the specifics.

4. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

Good luck

I agree with englishteach2, the second idea will work in 15 minutes.

Recently, a copy editor friend of mine posted a meme on FB about comma usage that cracked me up and I think would be great to use in a mini-lesson about commas. The meme said,
    "Let's eat Grandpa!
    Let's eat, Grandpa!
    Use a comma, save lives."
    :lol:

Just an idea. I love to infuse humor in lessons. It might help make an awkward situation, like a demo lesson, less--awkward.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

Thank you! englishteach2, I sent you a PM :)