Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by C2Teach, May 1, 2011.

1. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

May 1, 2011

I have a demo lesson coming up this week at a school that I would love to be at! It will either be doing a reading or math lesson to a classroom of 3rd graders. At this point, I am not sure what standard will be taught. Hopefully, I will find that out tomorrow. In the meantime, can you give me any pointers of how to prepare?

* What should I wear (3rd grade class - low socioeconomic)
    * Should I ask to meet with the teacher to see the layout of the classroom and get a feel for the room or should I just go in and wow them away on the day of the demo lesson
    * Should I incorporate technology into the lesson (I almost always do this in my classroom - but since this someone else's classroom, I'm not sure how comfortable I will feel)
    * Should I have the kids come to the carpet group area (if there is one) or should I just keep them at their seats to avoid transitions
    * What attention signals should I use ( give me 5)
    * What can/should I do if I see that someone is not actively engaged
    * If the school ends up giving me the choice of what to teach, then do you have any suggestions ( even though I am a very strong reading teacher, I am leaning towards math since the school's math scores are lower than their reading --- if I do math, I want to end with a journal activity to incorporate writing and demonstrate learning)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I really want this! I know that I would be a great asset to their school!
    Thanks!

3. m1trLG2

m1trLG2 Companion

May 1, 2011

I would also like to know this. This part of the interviewing process scares the begeesis out of me.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

A dress and cardi are nice, skirt and blouse...I'm thinking you've already worn a suit for the interview...dress work attire is appropriate for a demo...I've sat in on many of them...
    * Should I ask to meet with the teacher to see the layout of the classroom and get a feel for the room or should I just go in and wow them away on the day of the demo lesson
    You can always ask...don't be surprised if you can't
    * Should I incorporate technology into the lesson (I almost always do this in my classroom - but since this someone else's classroom, I'm not sure how comfortable I will feel)
    Ask what technology is available and plan to use it. Have a back up plan in case of glitches...my district likes to see comfort with and good use of technology
    * Should I have the kids come to the carpet group area (if there is one) or should I just keep them at their seats to avoid transitions
    Carpet...give clear directions for transitions to independent work, your expectations
    Give time signals (3 minutes left...), flick lights, give me five...whatever you are most comfortable with..Just let the kids know what your signal is and what you expect when the signal is given
    Proximity, use their name
    * If the school ends up giving me the choice of what to teach, then do you have any suggestions ( even though I am a very strong reading teacher, I am leaning towards math since the school's math scores are lower than their reading --- if I do math, I want to end with a journal activity to incorporate writing and demonstrate learning)
    great idea!

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

Suit. Suit. Suit. What you wear doesn't have anything to do with what grade it is or what class it is.

You probably won't be allowed. The teacher will most likely be busy and be teaching before and after your lesson. y=You can ask if you like though.

I wouldn't expect to use anyone else's resources including technology.

Avoid transitions

They won't be able to learn your attention signals quick enough to be effective.

This will probably occur. You're new to them so they may be nervous, shy, or uncomfortable.