Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by C2Teach, May 1, 2011.

1. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

May 1, 2011

I have a demo lesson coming up this week at a school that I would love to be at! It will either be doing a reading or math lesson to a classroom of 3rd graders. At this point, I am not sure what standard will be taught. Hopefully, I will find that out tomorrow. In the meantime, can you give me any pointers of how to prepare?

* What should I wear (3rd grade class - low socioeconomic)
    * Should I ask to meet with the teacher to see the layout of the classroom and get a feel for the room or should I just go in and wow them away on the day of the demo lesson
    * Should I incorporate technology into the lesson (I almost always do this in my classroom - but since this someone else's classroom, I'm not sure how comfortable I will feel)
    * Should I have the kids come to the carpet group area (if there is one) or should I just keep them at their seats to avoid transitions
    * What attention signals should I use ( give me 5)
    * What can/should I do if I see that someone is not actively engaged
    * If the school ends up giving me the choice of what to teach, then do you have any suggestions ( even though I am a very strong reading teacher, I am leaning towards math since the school's math scores are lower than their reading --- if I do math, I want to end with a journal activity to incorporate writing and demonstrate learning)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I really want this! I know that I would be a great asset to their school!
    Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

I would dress professionally.

You can ask to go in, they might say no. But if it would make you feel more comfortable ask. Then you can observe how the teacher handles transitions and attention signals.

If you are more comfortable or your lesson requires the carpet area, move there. If not, don't.

Whatever attention signal you would use if this were your classroom. Just be sure to tell the students that when you do this, you want this.

Not actively engaged...that depends on the task. You can call them to a smaller group, work 1-1 with them, ask them to partner up.