Demo lesson tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Jul 12, 2015.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jul 12, 2015

It has been awhile since I posted on here but this year I did two LTS positions in a very high rated district that's difficult to get hired in. I am now in the interview process for permanent position there for this coming school year. I made it to the third round which is a demo lesson. The interview is tomorrow.

My prompt: compare and contrast a firsthand account and a secondhand account of the same event.

I am planning on quickly reviewing firsthand/secondhand using a short PowerPoint. Then reading the first account together, letting them read the second in small groups, and comparing/contrasting using a Venn diagram. Finishing up with an exit ticket.

My question is- how can I add some differentiation to this lesson? I'm already doing the small groups with the second account reading, but is that enough/obvious enough for the panel to see? I only have twenty minutes for this lesson- which seems like nothing!

:thanks::)

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 12, 2015

Could you provide sentence frames for EL students to start filling in vent diagram...maybe have them work with a partner as they fill in chart and then think pair share their answers??

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2015

Different exit tickets?
    Low: lost three things you learned about the event from each account
    On level: list two things found in both accounts and two differences from the accounts
    High: same as on level, but also explain why the differences are there

What grade level is this for?

5. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jul 12, 2015

It's for fourth grade. Those are both great suggestions, but I have no knowledge of these students beforehand so I don't know what level they will be on. Normally I could figure this out, but I don't know if that'll be possible in a 20 minute lesson...

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 12, 2015

What is your exit ticket? You could let students choose between different numbers of answers. For instance, an strong response has 3 answers, a medium one has 2 and an acceptable one has 1, sort of set-up. That way they decide what level they want to aim for.