Demo Lesson...TOMORROW! Yikes!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsAllison, May 21, 2012.

1. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 21, 2012

Hi guys,
    I went on an interview today and it went pretty well. They invited me back to do a demo lesson...yay! The only thing is, it's tomorrow morning! I could use some advice and help.

Here are the requirements and details:
    1. It must be a 3rd grade, Reading/Lang. Arts lesson, and I may choose any one objective on which to focus
    2. It must be 10 minutes long
    3. I will be "teaching" the lesson to a panel of 5 interviewers (various teachers/administrators) as if they are third grade students

Ok, so here is my plan so far. I wanted to choose a very simple, straightforward objective that would be easy to introduce and teach within 10 minutes. The objective I chose is "Identify whether the narrator or speaker of a story is first or third person."

I was planning on giving an introduction and teaching what first/third person means. I was then going to read from a few sample books and have the "class" sort them into first and third person and collectively make a list of hints (words/pronouns) that help to tell us which one it is. Does that sound ok? It's not the most dazzling, creative lesson, but I've done a video demo lesson before and it got rejected. Mostly, I think, because I think I tried to get too creative and just got carried away. This time I wanted something very focused, very straightforward, but am still going to brighten it up with my enthusiasm :)

I do have a few things I'm stuck on though.
    1) How am I supposed to incorporate independent/guided practice into this lesson? Obviously, I would have the students work independently on the topic, but how would I do this within 10 minutes? They instructed me to bring any handouts, but I'm not sure if I should actually give the interviewers time to complete the handouts...?
    2) I use questioning a LOT, but I'm not sure how to do this with a panel of administrators. Ex: I might ask for a volunteer to narrate a sentence in first-person, but are the administrators going to answer and participate as the kids would? I'm assuming yes, but I'd really hate to get up there and start asking questions only to have them stare blankly back at me!

What do you think?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

1) Don't worry about having them complete the independent practice. They want to see you teach. Bring the lesson plan and handouts you would use with kids but don't expect to do that in this lesson.

2) Yes, expect them to participate.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 21, 2012

Just make sure you assess at the end in some way.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

Could you do a Mad Libs kind of thing as practice??? (I guess it's obvious that I teach math, not English, but I can see having some fun with "1st person.... 3rd person" and then reading the resulting story.

I would be prepared for a question on what ever happened to "2nd person." (My answer would be along the lines of "Yeah, right???? When I'm Queen of the Universe, that's one of the things I'm absolutely changing"--- I use that line all the time.)

6. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 21, 2012

Thanks for the tips!
    Haha, Alice...I love that response!

If they ask about second person, I was going to have a copy of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems to show them an example.