Demo lesson tomorrow... help!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Mar 10, 2015.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Mar 10, 2015

Been awhile since I have posted on here but just finished a half-year LTS position in 5th grade. Now I have an interview tomorrow at a charter school for a LTS in 3rd/4th grade science. They just called me about the interview this morning.... THEN called me this afternoon to ask if I could prepare a demo lesson instead.

They want it to be demo on electric circuits for 4th grade. I had a lesson all planned out. I was going to introduce the lesson with a group activity where the whole class would stand in a circle and imitate an electric circuit with objects and me being the battery. (Very quick activity- 5 minutes)

Then we were going to go through a short PowerPoint to teach the new concepts (a few vocab. words) and discuss. Then I was going to split them into groups and have them actually work with very simple circuits. I was going to set up the circuits almost completely ahead of time (I only have a 30 minute lesson) so they would just kind of play around with them at the end and explore the concept.

Thought I was all ready to go until I started assembling the electric circuits. My younger brother did the exact same activity last year and still has his kit. I modeled mine after his.

Bought wire, D batteries, small night light light bulbs, and electrical tape. Was connecting the bulb to one terminal with wire/electrical tape, then connecting the other wire to the other terminal. NO LIGHT.

What am I doing wrong??? It seems so simple. I don't have a whole lot of time to keep messing around and I don't know if I need different wire or what. Anyone done this before and has any ideas?

Demo is at 1:15 tomorrow. So I have the rest of the night and half the day tomorrow to figure this out.

Ideas of something to do instead of create the circuits are appreciated as well! I need to have a backup plan in case I decide that this is too risky to try and bring into the interview (even IF I figure it out!).

Thanks in advance! :dizzy::thanks:

3. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Mar 11, 2015

Try using a potato. Cheaper and would really wow the kids that are not familiar with it.

I think you could replace the clock with a lightbulb and it would work.

What you need:

Two Potatoes
    Two short pieces of heavy copper wire
    Two common galvanized nails
    Three alligator clip/wire units (alligator clips connected to each other with wire)
    One simple low-voltage LED clock that functions from a 1- to 2-volt button-type battery

Steps:
    Remove the battery from the battery compartment of the clock.
    Make a note of which way around the positive (+) and a negative (-) points of the battery went.
    Number the potatoes as one and two.
    Insert one nail in each potato.
    Insert one short piece of the copper wire into each potato as far away from the nail as possible.
    Use one alligator clip to connect the copper wire in potato number one to the positive (+) terminal in the clock's battery compartment.
    Use one alligator clip to connect the nail in potato number two to the negative (-) terminal in the clock's battery compartment.
    Use the third alligator clip to connect the nail in potato one to the copper wire in potato two and set the clock!

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/4726-how-potato-batteries-work

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2015

Just caught this post now, so no time for advice. Wishing you good luck!

5. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Mar 11, 2015

Thanks andstuff and swansong!

I ended up nixing the circuits altogether. I was spending too much money and it still wasn't working. I liked your idea andstuff, but it was too complicated to put together last minute and I was mostly afraid I would get there and something would go wrong!

I ended up doing paper circuits instead, just printing out pictures of the objects, along with my other activities. The kids LOVED it and the lesson went well.

The principal and other administrators seemed impressed and I gave a good interview afterwards. Supposed to hear back tomorrow! I'm pretty positive that I'm the only person they interviewed, and the teacher I would be in for was due to have her baby (it's a maternity leave) like.... yesterday. So I have high hopes!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2015

Sounds positive!