Demo Lesson Suggestions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MAteacher, Jul 27, 2018.

1. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

Hi all!

So I have had one heck of a time finding a job this summer, but I have a demo lesson coming up Monday.

They asked that I do a 30 minute lesson with summer school students that will be in the 2nd grade classroom I'm interviewing for this coming school year. They would like the lesson to be about adding and subtracting on a number line with numbers within 20.

I really want/desperately need this job because I'm sort of out of time to get a position so I really want to put together a stand out lesson that will knock it out of the park. I know they have 3 of us in total doing the lesson and I am the last lesson of the morning.

I wanted to see if you all had any suggestions for activities I can do to make sure I have the best lesson possible!

General Outline (I literally got asked to do this lesson less than an hour ago so I'm just in the early stages:
    5 minutes - self introduction, community expectations
    5 minutes - number line introduction (what is a number line, how does it work, etc) - Refer to number line anchor chart
    5 minutes - adding on a number line and subtracting on a number line
    10 minutes - Activity
    5 minutes - wrap up, exit ticket

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2018

I did a few demo lessons and I like how you are reviewing community expectations. That's the feedback that I got on all of mine - they want you to be able to manage simple behaviors. You know your lesson the best, but 25 minutes ends up feeling very short! What sort of activity are you thinking?

4. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

So I was a 2nd grade teacher this year and I've taught number lines before. I tended to be very straight forward with them when working with my own kids and all that.

I'm trying to think of the best way to make an activity thats engaging, but straightforward because I agree that the time goes by really fast. I also tend to run over time in my own teaching and I know that's a big no during a demo lesson.

My first thought is something where the students can come up and hop up and down the number line, but I'm concerned that it will take too much time for not too much work.

5. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

Ok so here is what I have so far:

*** I thought about having it be that the frog was catching the flies and using this to have it be a counting on lesson, but I'm not sure if that might be too much. These are summer students which means they needed a little more support before entering 2nd grade. So I was thinking about keeping it like this and saying that my next lesson would have been using a number line to count on and bringing back the frog to us for the catching fly analogy.

Also the principal did specify addition and subtraction using a number line so I did include teaching both. ***

Introduction - 2 minutes
    • Introduce self to students and review expectations for the activity
    • State objective: I will be able to add and subtract using a number line.
    I DO - Direct Instruction - 5 minutes
    • Post Anchor Chart for students to refer to and ask “Who has seen a number line before? What is it? Why do you think we would use it?”
      • Have students share their answers using turn and talks, have a couple of groups share out.
    • Refer to the anchor chart and ask students what they notice about the number line.
      • Guide students to talking about how the numbers start at zero and increase to 20 and notice that all the numbers are in order.
    • Hand out personal number lines and give students 1 minute to explore how to use them. Explain that after this 1 minute this is a learning tool and not a toy, this should be used to help them learn.
    WE DO - Guided Practice - 10 minutes

Using a Number Line
    • Explain to students that now that they know what a number line is, it is time to learn how to use it.
    • Introduce Freddie Frog and explain that he is very hungry and needs our help to hop along the number line to collect flies.
      • Set up rope number line.
    • Demonstrate how Freddie can move along the number line by hopping from one number to the other. Show that he can move up the number line to the higher numbers and down the number line to the lower numbers.
    Addition
    • Put an equation up and explain that Freddie needs our help to solve the equation using our number line (ex. 15 + 3 = ?).
    • Ask students what number Freddie should start on, 15. Then ask students what direction Freddie needs to move in and why.
      • Guide students to explain that Freddie needs to move up the number line toward the higher numbers because it is an addition equation. Addition means more.
    • Have students move the bead on their personal number lines to the 15.
    • Then ask students how many hops Freddie needs to make, 3.
      • Guide students to explain that Freddie has to hop three times because the equation tells us to add three.
    • Have students move the bead on their personal number lines up three numbers.
    • Ask students what number Freddie lands on, 18. Write that number in the equation.
    • Ask a couple of students to come up and solve another addition problem while students do the same on their personal number lines.
    Subtraction
    • Put an equation up and explain that Freddie needs our help to solve the equation using our number line (ex. 10 - 5 = ?).
    • Ask students what number Freddie should start on, 10. Then ask students what direction Freddie needs to move in and why.
      • Guide students to explain that Freddie needs to move down the number line toward the lower numbers because it is an subtraction equation. Subtraction means less.
    • Have students move the bead on their personal number lines to the 10.
    • Then ask students how many hops Freddie needs to make, 5.
      • Guide students to explain that Freddie has to hop five times because the equation tells us to subtract 5.
    • Have students move the bead on their personal number lines down five numbers.
    • Ask students what number Freddie lands on, 5. Write that number in the equation.
    • Ask a couple of students to come up and solve another addition problem while students do the same on their personal number lines.
    YOU DO - Independent Practice - 10 min
    Number Line Practice
    • Students will complete Number Line practice, they must solve equations using their personal number line to find the answer.
    Closing - 3 minutes
    • Bring students back together to review how we use a number line, how would Freddie move for an addition problem and for a subtraction problem.
    • Exit Ticket: Students will solve an addition and subtraction equation using a number line.

6. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 27, 2018

What I was thinking was you could have the students be the number line with a piece of string for the kids on the number line to have hold. Then have another student move up and down the line. So if say you have twenty students, you have most be the number line holding the string. Then one or two could start at 15 and move five places to 20. Etc.

MAteacher likes this.
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2018

^
    I like your lesson but it seems really packed for just 25 minutes. I don't know much about elementary so maybe others can weigh in?

MAteacher likes this.
  8. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 27, 2018

I agree that it's a little packed but if nothing weeks could possibly serve as inspiration.

9. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you guys so much for your help! :D

I'm definitely worried about having too much, I do intend on cutting it down a bit, but I wanted to have too much rather than not enough to start.

I like the idea of having them stand up and hold the numbers. I am a little concerned because it's a summer class and the principal seemed to imply that there might not be too many of them. There are 20 students enrolled, but it sounds like they don't always show up.

I'm mostly concerned that this lesson isn't going to stand out enough. I would love to have them work in pairs with their own tape number lines and solve problems together, but I definitely don't have enough time for that.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2018

They are looking for a lesson that meets the needs of the learners. They want to see if you can manage some behaviour, plan an engaging activity and then adapt if needed, on the fly. Keep it simple & effective. The more bells and whistles, the more opportunity for the lesson to derail.

bella84, MrsC and MAteacher like this.
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2018

Yes, and you could make it more engaging by having a the student roll a dice to see how many spaces they need to move up or down the numberline.

bella84 likes this.
  12. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you, I definitely needed to hear that. That's what I was going for, this is a subject I taught my own students so I feel good about it. I'm just really nervous because I feel like this one of my last chances to get a teaching job. I sadly can't afford to sub or long term sub and I stopped getting paid from my last job in the next couple weeks. Plus, I really like this district.

I love the dice idea too! I'm definitely going to incorporate that too! I'll have them use that for the independent practice portion too.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2018

My first demo lesson was 25 minutes and it went so quickly. I got through about 2 things and didn't even finish my objective.

Also, I did another demo lesson for a bunch of principals with a large district and I got to see a bunch of other candidates too. A lot of the candidates started with a Do Now that ended up being half the lesson -- and it was independent work. One principal said that they want to see you teach in a demo lesson and that's the most important thing. So I think it's fine if you don't have an independent work section to your demo lesson as they won't expect you to teach each part of the lesson in just 25 minutes.

MAteacher likes this.
  14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2018

Overall, I think your lesson is good. I like that you have the lesson in context of the frog needing to catch flies for food. Context makes a skill like using a number line more engaging, especially for the struggling students who you'll be working with.

I think your timing probably about right, but you might consider shortening the independent practice. I also don't think that you need to do an exit ticket. You won't have time for it. Just bring a copy and share it with the administrators who are observing you. Tell them that you know that you don't have time for it today but that it's what you would use if this were your own classroom and you had more time.

I agree that you should just keep it simple. Just show that you have knowledge of the content, that you can manage a classroom, and that you can engage learners. Show a natural ability to connect genuinely with the kids and that you can be responsive to their needs during the lesson.

MAteacher likes this.
  15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 27, 2018

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to ascertain whether the students have a basic understanding of the additive and subtractive concepts prior to having them jump onto the number line. In other words, you should determine their current level of functioning first. Your failure to do so, may be just what the selection committee may be watching for! As a former special ed. teacher, I always made sure that students possessed the necessary prerequisite skills and knowledge to ensure the success of my lessons. The candidate who demonstrates pedagogical foresight and innovative lesson design will surely carry the day and be offered the job! Be sure to use technology to your best advantage. Finally, if you think that the students could use the full half-hour for addition, you may choose to forgo doing subtraction on the number line.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    MAteacher likes this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2018

Keep it simple. I really like the frog jumping idea. Your time before sending them off could be long...judge when to move on by how kids are doing. Truthfully teaching both adding and subtracting could be confusing. Present the number line as a strategy, and make sure you review the difference between adding and subtracting. Have numberlines for the kids to practice on during the ‘we do’. Circulate while they work independently, have something to do for early finishers.

MAteacher and bella84 like this.
  17. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2018

Thank you all for your feedback, I'm going to start incorporating your suggestions. I think I'm going to stick with just addition (I got really nervous at first because the principal clearly stated that it was addition and subtraction on a number line), but I feel like I am able to justify the reasoning well enough so I should be fine. I think knowing that these students were ones that needed extra support it would make more sense to focus in on one skill.

I'm going to provide brief descriptions of follow up lessons I would do, as well.

Thank you for reminding me about the pre assessment and strategy portions, I feel like those are things I do naturally with my own class, but I definitely want to make sure I highlight it on my plan!

I'm going to edit my lesson and repost it! I really appreciate the help!!

18. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2018

So this is just about what the final plan is going to be, I still have some edits to make, but I wanted to share this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j_H05vF-LMLAb20XqeXu64EpOG-Sj9c2KhCcQf6N4Go/edit?usp=sharing

I shorted the independent practice to 5 minutes to give more for the guided practice. I do plan on having them use their own personal number lines through the practice.

I did opt not to have students hold/be the number line only because after what the principal said there might not be enough students in attendance. There are only 20 students enrolled and she mentioned that they may not show up.

I am thinking about making a powerpoint for the equations we are solving and number lines so I can show them how to use a paper and pencil number line, I asked about technology and didn't get an answer so I'm not banking on it, just in case.

I also left the exit ticket on the plan, but I also am understanding that I likely won't get to it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2018

Don’t feel married to your timeline.

bella84 likes this.
  20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

So how did it go? Hope you have good news to share!