Demo lesson...sort of

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by amber3721, Aug 20, 2014.

1. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Hi all, looking for help on this unique demo lesson

I interviewed at a great school in NJ with the principal for 2 different short term roles but didn't get either positions. A couple days later, he notified me about a full year 2nd grade tenure position that he told me I would be great for. Because he was so fond of how I was in my interview, I quit a different job for the possibility of landing this position because the Principal had such fond reviews about me during my first interview. He said I am going straight to round 2 while he interviews some other candidates for round 1 due to district protocol. It's a big risk! But hoping the return will be worth it.

He called me today to schedule a demo lesson on Monday. The thing is, it's not really a demo lesson as he said I didn't need to plan anything. He told me he just wants to have me choose one of the non fiction books he has and read to about 5 kids. He wants to see how I interact with children and what questions I ask. It should only take about 20 minutes. I am not the type to just walk in there and have nothing prepared- so this strikes me as odd and a little nerve racking. It sounds so easy but I don't know if I should prepare something extra. Questions to ask in advance? Charts? Thoughts?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2014

I'm a bit curious as to why he doesn't expect you to need to prepare for this, especially when it is part of an interview and you aren't the only candidate. I can't understand the motive. Still, you must be pretty sure the job is yours or else you wouldn't have quit your job.

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

It does seem strange. I like to familiarize myself with a story before reading aloud so I don't stumble over words.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

It sounds like he's going to give you the position but has to formally do interviews for district protocol. I wouldn't stress it, but it know that's hard. I think the "lesson" he wants you to do might be to see how you plan on the spot. I've done a few lessons like this when I was teaching summer school with books I didn't read before hand when it wound up with extra time. Just remember to ask higher order thinking questions.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

I did something similar to this. They were more interested in how I interacted with the kids than my ability to plan a lesson. Anyone can pull a lesson plan from Pinterest and go through the motions. I got the job, BTW ;)

Good luck!

7. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I quit a charter school position for this possible opportunity. If I had committed to the charter school by signing a contract, I wouldn't have been able to get out of it for 60 days. I am putting all my eggs in one basket and luckily have some financial security in case I don't get the job. The principal also knows this situation and I'm hoping he would have steered me the other way knowing I am quitting a job for his school. I feel confident about it.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

I would try to plan something in advance, even if I don't know what we'll be reading.
    - have dictionaries available for each student, or if you can't, just bring one for yourself. Have the students quickly scan the text you'll be reading and point out words that stand out being unfamiliar. Then you can quickly look it up, tell them the meaning, discuss it, even have them write them down if you want.
    - have them make some predictions about the text based on the title, book cover, headings, illustrations, etc.
    - read to them. Stop after every paragraph and have a student (or each alone, or in partners) summarize the paragraph, or come up with the central idea. These two are standards based activities.
    - after you've read, depending on the text, you can ask them to form an opinion (did they agree with the character), or to see if their predictions came true, provide further predictions, etc.

You can still do this if you have 0 prep time with the book. Even if you're given 30 minutes you can be a lot more prepared and have certain things in mind. But these activities are pretty universal and should work with most text.

9. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks so much for the ideas! I think that is what I will do. I wanted to focus on main idea either way but use a game to make it engaging because he said since it's summer he wants the kids engaged.